Royal Caribbean Blog

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The reason I personally get worked up about it was that it wasn't always like that and I'm a rule follower. It's just my nature and I hate having to do ANYTHING because other people didn't follow the

They don't have to actually swap cabins, just arrange names then adjust it on board so spouses stay together. But here we go down the rabbit hole again,  finding ways to circumvent the policy.

Personally I don’t understand the controversy. Everyone knows the reason why they did this.  They aren’t alone. Other cruise lines have the same policy. I used to buy a pkg for myself and not my wife.

Posted Images

15 hours ago, HLWIser said:

Now that I can enjoy the Diamond Lounge with my SO, I'm wondering if our beverage package should be cancelled... but then you reminded me between the mimosas, at least 6 beers he will drink at the pool, dinner drinks, and after dinner drinks.. it might be worth keeping! :3_grin:

15 hours ago, twangster said:

Diamond access is a game changer, at least when I'm solo.  Do you keep pace with him during the day? 

If you both drink 6 beers each day (plus other drinks) that's one thing.  If he drinks 6 and you drink 2 that changes the math at least for a married couple paying from the same bank account.    

There are often 10 drink cards or 10 draft beer cards offered on some cruises starting mid-cruise.  The savings amount to a few bucks per drink but perhaps those would fill in the gaps between diamond happy hours.  

I think what @twangster makes a lot of sense - the diamond happy hour plus ability to carry on two bottles of wine can fill in a lot of gaps. That said, since if I'm recalling this cruise correctly - since it's you, your SO, and friends it seems like it may be worth it to hang on to the package! It's easy to say 'okay I guess I'll have one more!' when you're out with friends on vacation. 

My husband and I have said that once we hit the whole kid thing (not anytime soon!), the diamond happy hour will probably be what we lean on over a drink package (we'll hit Diamond July next year). However, we did end up getting it on our quite port heavy southern Caribbean cruise when they had it on sale for $39/pp a day. That made it pretty worth it for us - a couple glasses of wine with dinner alone would make $24, plus any bottled water/coffee/any other drinks would bring that number up.

1 hour ago, KLAconQueso said:

My husband and I have said that once we hit the whole kid thing (not anytime soon!), the diamond happy hour will probably be what we lean on over a drink package (we'll hit Diamond July next year). However, we did end up getting it on our quite port heavy southern Caribbean cruise when they had it on sale for $39/pp a day. That made it pretty worth it for us - a couple glasses of wine with dinner alone would make $24, plus any bottled water/coffee/any other drinks would bring that number up.

Ya at $39 /pp pd is worth it for sure but not the $55 to me at least just because my wife drinks so little. 

1 hour ago, KLAconQueso said:

My husband and I have said that once we hit the whole kid thing (not anytime soon!), the diamond happy hour will probably be what we lean on 

Haha! You are so right!  Remember you said that!  When we cruise Disney with the kids we never drink anything.  Next month, I ended up cancelling my drink package (that I got for $41/day) and just getting the refreshment because in the end I won't be doing much partying with my kiddies, so not worth it.  Life with children.....

3 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Haha! You are so right!  Remember you said that!  When we cruise Disney with the kids we never drink anything.  Next month, I ended up cancelling my drink package (that I got for $41/day) and just getting the refreshment because in the end I won't be doing much partying with my kiddies, so not worth it.  Life with children.....

Well, for what it's worth I bought the drink package ($43/night) and fully plan to be getting myself a margarita as soon as possible after we board, as well as enjoy a couple of glasses of wine or beer with dinner each night, and a cocktail to sip during shows. And probably something fruity and umbrella-adorned while lounging by the pool or the sun deck.

Life with teenage children. They're old enough to get themselves out of whatever trouble they might get into. :10_wink: :29_smirk:

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Well, for what it's worth I bought the drink package ($43/night) and fully plan to be getting myself a margarita as soon as possible after we board, as well as enjoy a couple of glasses of wine or beer with dinner each night, and a cocktail to sip during shows. And probably something fruity and umbrella-adorned while lounging by the pool or the sun deck.

Life with teenage children. They're old enough to get themselves out of whatever trouble they might get into. :10_wink: :29_smirk:

That will be a few years for me Joe.  I'm living the world of tweendom right now.

5 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

When we cruise Disney with the kids we never drink anything

"I'm living the world of tweendom right now.", ok, that's explains your comment above. Have to maintain your calm, collected, rational demeanor.  Because after a drink or two you might be inclined to rip a tween's head off after the first or second utterance of "as if" or "whatever". :27_sunglasses:

4 minutes ago, rjac said:

"I'm living the world of tweendom right now.", ok, that's explains your comment above. Have to maintain your calm, collected, rational demeanor.  Because after a drink or two you might be inclined to rip a tween's head off after the first or second utterance of "as if" or "whatever". :27_sunglasses:

You got it!!  It's "as if" then "whatever" followed up by "eye roll" then stomping away. 

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:00 AM, KLAconQueso said:

I think what @twangster makes a lot of sense - the diamond happy hour plus ability to carry on two bottles of wine can fill in a lot of gaps. That said, since if I'm recalling this cruise correctly - since it's you, your SO, and friends it seems like it may be worth it to hang on to the package! It's easy to say 'okay I guess I'll have one more!' when you're out with friends on vacation. 

Yes, you're right! Its my boyfriend, his sister, her husband, and myself. I think since we will be traveling with them, it will make sense to keep it so we can enjoy pool drinks, after dinner/ karaoke/ piano/pub bar with them without having to worry. I do think the Diamond Lounge is worth it when traveling just us two, or even with kiddos like you said - since bringing your own wine can fill in the gaps. I hate to say I am "heavy drinker", but I think I will easily hit the 5 a day breakeven point. :) Good strategy on the Diamond Happy hour once kids come along!

I have read all the replies and agree with some and just don't understand some. The bottom line is RCL wants to make as much $ as possible. I get it..

Their bottom line does not always coincide with my bottom line..I understand their drink package requirements and their reasoning for doing so.

I do feel however..$12 a drink is prohibitive..I also feel that paying $26 a day for water and soda is excessive..The old saying that a few bad apples spoil the whole whatever..is applicable here

I feel that when RCL sees that their expectations for customer booze spending has fallen well below their break even point..changes will be made. Until then you must pay their going rate for booze...For tips...For taxes..For miscellaneous fees...and whatever else they con conjure..for the privilege of cruising. Enjoy yourselves everyone..Have one on us..Oh wait..we CAN't afford it..LOL

On 2/8/2018 at 12:25 AM, D Murphy said:

After posting our concerns about the deluxe drink package..we called RCL once again.

Due to medical reasons..(chemo treatments) my wife cannot drink and thus being forced to buy 2 drink packages is prohibitive

We were told that she wouldn't have to buy the drink package..but WOULD have to purchase one of the other packages

The soda..water..etc..is $20/ day...Has anyone else been told the same?..

That would still bring our total to about $900 for a 12 day cruise out of Baltimore..

THAT IS INSANE!!!....As diamond members we expected more from RCL

I'm sure when RCL relaxed the beverage package policy so all adults in a cabin did not have to buy one they expected more from their customers. However and not surprisingly it was abused to the point the policy was changed back.

It was something people were happy to boast about on various forums generally justified because RCL is a big company so its okay stick it to them. Only problem with that is eventually it's the customers that do the right thing that pay the price for their behavior.  

I've said it before, but here it comes again.  Personally, I think that the change in the beverage package policy has NOTHING to do with people sharing illicitly.  They had to have known that there would be some amount of illicit sharing and were willing to endure it when they allowed the packages to be purchased by only 1 person in the cabin.  I think that they tried it and realized they were losing too much revenue (because many were choosing not to purchase) and changed it back again to where everyone in the cabin must purchase if anyone does.

Are there some cheaters ?  Of course !  Even now they will have cheaters.  ...but I do not believe that the cheaters were the catalyst for reversing the policy.

I find this all very interesting in light of that article I shared last week.  Assuming the fact from the article is true, that only 8-10% of people actually purchase a drink package, I wonder how the new policy changes things now for them?  I can say for myself, the new policy stops me from purchasing or at least makes me consider very carefully.

On 2/9/2018 at 4:59 PM, tiny260 said:

Answer a full sentence with:

Right?

Is that an answer or a question? Mine are grown, now I'm dealing with Grand-kids...

On our Oasis cruise last summer, we had the grands with us so we didn't get the deluxe drink package.  However, with our Alaska cruise coming this summer, we are going with 3 other couples, so we are getting the deluxe package.

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I've said it before, but here it comes again.  Personally, I think that the change in the beverage package policy has NOTHING to do with people sharing illicitly.  They had to have known that there would be some amount of illicit sharing and were willing to endure it when they allowed the packages to be purchased by only 1 person in the cabin.  I think that they tried it and realized they were losing too much revenue (because many were choosing not to purchase) and changed it back again to where everyone in the cabin must purchase if anyone does.

Are there some cheaters ?  Of course !  Even now they will have cheaters.  ...but I do not believe that the cheaters were the catalyst for reversing the policy.

I think there is a generational difference where younger people would share a DP a lot more than guests that are their parents age.  It's a lot more common for older couples to have one spouse who can't or won't drink very much.  Younger cruisers like to party like its the college they graduated from a year or couple ago, both male and female.  As Royal tries to tap into that crowd more - the first time cruisers, they need to nip that sharing in the bud.

I'm also not convinced it will increase revenue.  I've seen a lot people now saying they will go without the DP since they have to buy two.  If it is just a money grab I think this will lower revenue, not increase it.  There is huge margin in liquor at the prices they charge and now many people won't drink as much since they will be pay as you go.  I honestly do not believe the same people who bought it for one will now buy it for two just because they have to, I think many will go without.  I know when I don't have the DP I am very aware of drink costs and drink differently.   We certainly did on Carnival back in those days.

The next logical reaction will be to scale back diamond happy hour since it is cutting into DP sales.  Look how many on this site who are diamond are saying they won't buy the package because of happy hour.   They've got to be struggling with the cost of the diamond program with its ranks swelling in numbers.

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

I honestly do not believe the same people who bought it for one will now buy it for two just because they have to, I think many will go without. 

This is what's happening with my group. It seems most of them are not getting it since they both would have to.  I am but I have a studio room so don't have to worry about anyone else. I've been going back and forth though with whether I'm keeping it.

4 minutes ago, ellcee said:

This is what's happening with my group. It seems most of them are not getting it since they both would have to.  I am but I have a studio room so don't have to worry about anyone else. I've been going back and forth though with whether I'm keeping it.

Tell them to shuffle names in cabins.  Two drinkers in one cabin, no drinkers in the next cabin.  Once they get on board they can get keys adjusted from guest services.

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've seen a lot people now saying they will go without the DP since they have to buy two. 

That's me!

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

The next logical reaction will be to scale back diamond happy hour since it is cutting into DP sales.  Look how many on this site who are diamond are saying they won't buy the package because of happy hour.   They've got to be struggling with the cost of the diamond program with its ranks swelling in numbers.

Oh come on!  Just as I'm about to reach Diamond!  Stay positive and don't give them ideas. lol

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

I think there is a generational difference where younger people would share a DP a lot more than guests that are their parents age.  It's a lot more common for older couples to have one spouse who can't or won't drink very much.  Younger cruisers like to party like its the college they graduated from a year or couple ago, both male and female.  As Royal tries to tap into that crowd more - the first time cruisers, they need to nip that sharing in the bud.

I realize I can't speak for everyone my age, but as a 27 year old cruiser (who started cruising at 25) I can say I am old enough to follow the dang rules and do not (and never have) participated in the DP sharing.

... that said, on our honeymoon we saw a group of 'bros' in Central Park yelling to their friends a few decks up, and in the same breath one of them asked his buddy to go grab him a drink from the Trellis Bar.