They cancelled our reservation and didn’t tell us……😡🤬😡

I’ve spent the bulk of today on the phone with Royal Caribbean pre cruise department because they, without notifying us, cancelled our upcoming June 6-11 2024, 5 night cruise saying it wasn’t paid in full….but it was paid in full the day I booked it and is in my reservation email of $0 balance at booking, $1900 plus on our credit card and $2248.20 of cruise credit….totaling $4300 plus! The story is we had to cancel a booking last October due to my health and were issued “cruise credits” through AON to the tune of $2248.20 which we applied to this booking, along with another $2k plus on our credit card, so booking was paid in full. Well apparently some RC idiot,  after we made the reservation, misspelled one of our names negating our cruise credits and  therefore leaving us a balance due of $2248.20….but never notified us in any way…this all transpired on the 13th of this month and I’d not gone on the site so was totally shocked when I went in this morning only to find out cruise reservation gone, cancelled. Obviously called Royal Caribbean and spent 2.5 hours first call to pre cruise, 1.75 hours second call to post cruise and 45 minutes to AON, my whole day. Their response after mostly being on hold…. sorry there’s no cabin for you but we can explore other sailings…..NO!!! We do have a very low interior cabin, not your balcony we can do for same price….ARE YOU NUTS, ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! We can refund your taxes and fees but looking into refunding your payment and we can only reissue your cruise credits for a future cruise…..YOURE KIDDING, RIGHT??? 
Long story short, WE DID NOT CANCEL OUR FULLY PAID CRUISE RESERVATION, THEY DID and they never contacted us nor did they refund the percentage if we truly had been at fault….that’s theft in my eyes. AON say they have no stake in this situation and cannot refund us money for those cruise credits as I’ve made it clear I want all of our money back because we will never step foot on Royal Caribbean ever again. My husband will take up the cause when he gets home, probably involving our credit card. At this point we’re out $4300 and no vacation reservations.

Horrible company who cares 0% about customer service, truth, taking ownership of their blunder….care only about their pocketbooks.

Back on the phone, my husband….they want us to pay an additional $600 to take the remaining interior cabin. Admitted they put my name in wrong and this caused it but there’s nothing they can do

Okay, errors happen all the time, but if you do not have a travel agent to oversee this, then you have to stay calm and try to negotiate what will be in your best interests.

Saying you will never set foot on a RC ship and they are a horrible company does not get too much cooperation from an agent.  Calm down, take a deep breath, and consider the options more rationally.  Yes, it was their error, so yes, they need to make it up to you as you are a loyal customer.

You also should ask to have the situation escalated to a supervisor.  If you do not go on the June 6th cruise, it will not be the end of the world.  Instead, you need to see what is the best possible alternative RC can offer you--upgraded cabin, additional onboard credit, bigger ship, longer cruise--see what else is out there that could be of potential interest. Maybe book two cruises for the price of the one you miss! Also, in the future, check your reservation every week or so, which is what travel agents have to do.

I mean, the ship could have had to go into dry dock for some kind of issue, and you would still miss the date, but you would probably not have to be so furious.  I have lost so many trips the past few years due to Covid, war in Israel, Russian invasion, etc., that anymore I consider it great if everything does work out perfectly.  Hopefully there will also be future opportunities for more travel!  Best wishes!

I am so sorry this happened to you. Their billing "system" is so F'd up for a company of this size. They need to just pause all transactions for a week and set up a new payment processing system with a whole new team because what they have in place now is a joke. I am currently at risk of losing thousands because of a $150 they can figure out how to process  🤬

15 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It sure sucks. I don't envy your situation.

I've learned to scour over every cruise invoice the second I get it looking for anything out of place.

And keep electronic copies with the date of the invoice as part of the file name.

15 hours ago, KimZ said:

Back on the phone, my husband….they want us to pay an additional $600 to take the remaining interior cabin. Admitted they put my name in wrong and this caused it but there’s nothing they can do

That is crazy. Admitting it is their mistake and then asking for more money to rectify it. I would be furious!

I feel for the OP but blaming Royal is a tad much. It sounds like whatever company the credits are from are at fault. Also, not a common opinion but so is the OP. At no point did they seem to verify anything. If I was spending money on something, I am making sure all my ducks are in a row. Yes, Royal's IT sucks but the onus was on the OP to verify things like name spellings and credits. 

Just to clarify to some responses, our invoices were fine and nothing ever changed that we could see…”an internal thing” they say and now, despite having the fully paid invoice they are refusing to return our payment in full as they see $200 plus difference but cannot show us that calculation, mainly because it doesn’t exist! This is just crazy…I’ve done whatever we’re supposed to do, they never contacted us nor was there any change to our booking, (yes I do look things over in wait for trips)until they cancelled it…again it’s internal. There was nothing for us to have seen, no changes on our account, nothing for red flags to go up.Dealing with them is beyond crazy as they do nothing but repeat the same “solution” over and over. I’ve called the correct departments and teams, just again want to clarify as we are not stupid or clueless. Thank you for the address, I will be writing to the higher ups, but we are still awaiting their “investigation” despite the third post-cruise escalation team supervisor telling us this was their mistake, yet she still needs to investigate and will get back to us. So we wait

2 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

And the names were spelled correctly on that document?

It sounds like effectively the cruise was to be partially paid with an FCC that was issued from AON (travel protection). The FCC was issued with the mis-spelled name.  I have no idea how this could have been missed when making the reservation. You would think it would have been given a zero balance invoice if it was unable to be applied because of the name issue.

8 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

It sounds like effectively the cruise was to be partially paid with an FCC that was issued from AON (travel protection). The FCC was issued with the mis-spelled name.  I have no idea how this could have been missed when making the reservation. You would think it would have been given a zero balance invoice if it was unable to be applied because of the name issue.

In this case it appears they were accepted initially but later rejected.  

Royal audits FCC routinely and if that team deems them incorrect they nullify them.  Had this happen to me during the pandemic but had time to deal with it.

It seems when an FCC is deemed incorrect there is no follow up, the booking just becomes underfunded.  

Yes they were…someone after booking was doing something, didn’t put my idle name then realized it put my middle name back and apparently this action cancelled our reservation but we saw nothing, received nothing, apparently that person didn’t realize what they triggered. They’ve admitted it after three people went over things three times to figure out the problem but it doesn’t matter it cancelled our reservation but did not prompt new documents and they won’t refund us even though we have no reservation just our original invoice with $0 balance.

On 4/26/2024 at 8:45 PM, AshleyDillo said:

You’re correct about using the FCC from AON, those do not have either of our middle names but they were applied and accepted at booking and I even questioned that when I saw her booking without my middle name,which she fixed, that all should match my passport. I pointed out the FCCs names but they still went through using the assigned codes and were deducted from the total. Hung up from booking with email including fullly detailed invoice, balance of $0 with cost charged to credit card as well as the fully reimbursed FCCs.

On 4/26/2024 at 8:59 PM, twangster said:

In this case it appears they were accepted initially but later rejected.  

Royal audits FCC routinely and if that team deems them incorrect they nullify them.  Had this happen to me during the pandemic but had time to deal with it.

It seems when an FCC is deemed incorrect there is no follow up, the booking just becomes underfunded.