Grand Turk,Turks & Caicos

23 minutes ago, Canada Cruiser said:

Hi, just had itinerary change Labadee to Grand Turks. Wondering if there is much to do there... Found a beach/pool club but think it may be owned by Carnival. 

Thoughts?

The shops/bars/beach will be open to you even though it's owned by Carnival. Just note that while there are free beach chairs, they're set back from the beach (you'll see them behind some ropes from your view from the ship when you dock). Beach access itself is free.

@smokeybandit we were just notified as well on our Bermuda August sailing to this itinerary change. Nothing in the cruise planner as of yet. Is it possible to enjoy the immediate area without an excursion? Thanks so much! I am just so happy we are going somewhere we have never been before, I was worried Labadee would be replaced by Nassau, we've been there so many times......

17 minutes ago, Neesa said:

Is it possible to enjoy the immediate area without an excursion?

Most definitely. You walk through a duty free shop (just like anywhere else I guess) then walk through a town-like setup with your typical shops and a Margaritaville (though the MC there got annoying). Then there's both a pool and beach (with bare foot walkable sea bed and several different kinds of fish). Then along the beach there are local vendors of typical stuff plus food/beverages. 

35 minutes ago, Rage Shifty said:

Jack's Jerk Shack just down the beach was very good, but we haven't been there in a number of years. At that time there was an inflatable slide out in the water and it cost $10 for our young son to slide on for several hours.

I don't recall the name or the price, but I definitely recall the wonderful aroma of jerk chicken right around the spot where there's inflatable equipment.

3 hours ago, Canada Cruiser said:

Hi, just had itinerary change Labadee to Grand Turks. Wondering if there is much to do there... Found a beach/pool club but think it may be owned by Carnival. 

Thoughts?

It’s actually a great itinerary change. Grand Turk beaches are amazing. My wife & I were there a couple days ago and it’s perfection! There are public beaches adjacent to the ship and a stretch of white sand beaches (pictured) that rivals some of the nicest I’ve ever seen. This was our 4th or 5th time here and it never gets old. 

IMG_0794.jpeg

IMG_3384.jpeg

IMG_0772.jpeg

IMG_0770.jpeg

IMG_0766.jpeg

6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The shops/bars/beach will be open to you even though it's owned by Carnival. Just note that while there are free beach chairs, they're set back from the beach (you'll see them behind some ropes from your view from the ship when you dock). Beach access itself is free.

I wonder will the drink package carry-over to the Carnival owned establishments…

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Just told Hubby this morning that we are headed to Grand Turk in July in place of Labadee. He is excited because it looks like there is a Flowrider at the port area, much like Puerto Plata.

There sure is lol - my crew have enjoyed it.  There is also an Effy store - so you will both enjoy the port lol.

1 hour ago, recogneyes said:

There is also an Effy store - so you will both enjoy the port lol.

I saw that too!

1 hour ago, recogneyes said:

There sure is lol - my crew have enjoyed it.

How do you book time on it? I saw from their port link that it has to be booked through the cruise planner? Or did you guys just walk up the day of and book?

20 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I saw that too!

How do you book time on it? I saw from their port link that it has to be booked through the cruise planner? Or did you guys just walk up the day of and book?

The kids were quite a bit younger and we didn't even know there was a Flowrider - we bought tickets right in the port.  If they are offered on the cruise planner, I think I would go that route just to be sure that Justin has a reservation.  Under FAQ's the website does say you can buy tickets there - I would just be concerned about availability if there is more than one ship in port.  

On 4/23/2024 at 5:12 PM, smokeybandit said:

We had Grand Turk and DR back to back last month. I had never been to either.

For the purposes of included activities right off the ship, I'd pick Grand Turk over DR.

I agree. DR is an excursion must (unless you only want to float in the lazy river) there is not beach right there or anything good. Grand Turk we had a great day for mostly free (we bought food at margaritaville). The beach is beautiful, it was a bit more rocks than I anticipated but it is so clear you can see them ok. There is a starbucks for free wifi , shops, the pool and beach. You cannot take shells or rocks home, they will confiscate them. I saw a table and people getting their bags pulled aside. There was another ship in port with us and we did not feel like anything was crowded. HTH

We went on a a Sunday and the Flowrider was down. I'm not sure if that is norm for Sundays or that was a fluke for some reason.

1 minute ago, craftycruiselady said:

I agree. DR is an excursion must (unless you only want to float in the lazy river) there is not beach right there or anything good. Grand Turk we had a great day for mostly free (we bought food at margaritaville). The beach is beautiful, it was a bit more rocks than I anticipated but it is so clear you can see them ok. There is a starbucks for free wifi , shops, the pool and beach. You cannot take shells or rocks home, they will confiscate them. I saw a table and people getting their bags pulled aside. There was another ship in port with us and we did not feel like anything was crowded. HTH

I noticed it’s a bit rocky at Turks by the port but if you venture up the beach a bit it is probably up there with the best white sand beaches in the Caribbean (no rocks). 

4 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I noticed it’s a bit rocky at Turks by the port but if you venture up the beach a bit it is probably up there with the best white sand beaches in the Caribbean (no rocks). 

I will have to file that away for next time :). I was with elderly family who did not want to walk far so we stopped as soon as we hit the first patch of beach. Thanks!

I hope things will be resolved by my late November cruise so I can go to Labadee as I really wanted to go there but I'm not holding my breath.  I'm on Symphony and the other scheduled stops are CocoCay, Nassau and Falmouth so I think alternate ports are limited.  If Labadee is a no go it would be nice to check out Grand Turk as I've never been...it looks like only one ship is scheduled to be docked there on that day (11/29).  I'd much rather prefer that to another day at sea.

For anyone interested, about 2 beaches North of the cruise terminal, on Governor's Beach, there is a pretty good amount of sea glass.  I picked up a nice handful when we were there, and I could have gotten a lot more had I wanted to work for it.