First time cruiser - biometric or no biometric

Has anyone had issues or inconveniences when opted out of biometric facial recognition? Considering my first cruise but reluctant to allow a third party access my biometric data. But will it affect boarding/room access/onboard purchases/excursions? I will also avoid as much as possible any onboard photos 😆

• SJT changed the title to First time cruiser - biometric or no biometric
4 hours ago, SJT said:

Has anyone had issues or inconveniences when opted out of biometric facial recognition? Considering my first cruise but reluctant to allow a third party access my biometric data. But will it affect boarding/room access/onboard purchases/excursions? I will also avoid as much as possible any onboard photos 😆

Do you have a passport? Drivers license? Your bio metric data is already out there

12 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

Do you have a passport? Drivers license? Your bio metric data is already out there

Yes I do and reluctantly I'm accepting of gov agencies having my biometric data but I'd sooner restrict other 3rd parties having it, to limit the chances of it falling into the wrong hands.

9 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

You do realize you will be on security cameras at almost all times when you are out of your stateroom?

Thank you for confirming this point as I will be a new cruiser. It may be something that I have to accept but I am still weighing up the pros and cons. I'm researching between a cruise and a good old fashioned ferry 🤣

15 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I honestly don't think it matters one way or the other no matter what options you select for your photo.

So does the Sea Pass card hv a photo on it? I read 1 post where your photo will flash up every time it's used for services or a purchase. Does this happen regardless of whether you agree to biometric or not? Sorry for v. basic questions. I'm struggling to understand how you can order drinks etc with this card when onboard. How they verify you can be served etc.

1 hour ago, SJT said:

So does the Sea Pass card hv a photo on it? I read 1 post where your photo will flash up every time it's used for services or a purchase. Does this happen regardless of whether you agree to biometric or not? Sorry for v. basic questions. I'm struggling to understand how you can order drinks etc with this card when onboard. How they verify you can be served etc.

Yes, this happens for everyone. Especially key for getting on/off the ship. But looking at a photo isn't biometric data.

I mean no offense, but if you have a passport and a state ID in 2024, if you walk down the street of any major city, fly out of a major airport, or, if according to Snowden, even use a smart phone, this is a moot point. Not trying to be a jerk, but the jig is up- unless you live Kaczynski style-living off the grid- there is no way to escape biometrics when it comes to security. 

Ok, but many entities use my SSN number, it doesn't mean I am going to provide it to another company if it isn't necessary. Why do I want RC to have my biometric information stored in their database. It's just one more opportunity for that data to be stolen and used for who knows what. Me personally, i try to limit my exposure as much as possible.

9 hours ago, SJT said:

A photo is linked to the Seapass card. You either upload a photo to the app/website when you check-in prior to your cruise or Royal takes a photo of you on embarkation day at the terminal. 

12 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

You do realize you will be on security cameras at almost all times when you are out of your stateroom?

And sometimes *in* your stateroom depending on your stateroom attendant!

Note:  To anyone at RCCL that sees this, feel free to DM me regarding being your headliner comedian.  I'll be here all week 😉

20 hours ago, SJT said:

No, your sea pass card does not have our photo on the card.  Your photo will appear anytime you make a purchase, and any time you leave and return to the ship, regardless of your choice on the biometric waiver. Facial recognition is also used regularly throughout the ship regardless.

13 hours ago, Fastfaller said:

Ok, but many entities use my SSN number, it doesn't mean I am going to provide it to another company if it isn't necessary. Why do I want RC to have my biometric information stored in their database. It's just one more opportunity for that data to be stolen and used for who knows what. Me personally, i try to limit my exposure as much as possible.

Outside of the federal government, who uses your SSAN?

21 hours ago, Fastfaller said:

I do not do the biometrics. Why would I give yet one more organization access to my PII? I don't care that the government may already have it, I want to limit as much as I can the number of entities that have my information.

Completely agree.  So have you been on many cruises?  Do you get many problems?

32 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

No, your sea pass card does not have our photo on the card.  Your photo will appear anytime you make a purchase, and any time you leave and return to the ship, regardless of your choice on the biometric waiver. Facial recognition is also used regularly throughout the ship regardless.

Thank you for explaining. Not bothered about my photo appearing, just didn't want to give my biometric data away to another 3rd party.  Just couldn't work out how you were verified and served drinks for instance from a card.

7 hours ago, SJT said:

Thank you for explaining. Not bothered about my photo appearing, just didn't want to give my biometric data away to another 3rd party.  Just couldn't work out how you were verified and served drinks for instance from a card.

You can't decide whether or not to give biometrics data away. You give it away simply by being in public. What entities do with that data is what is at stake. And really, RC only uses it to benefit you.  We're all long past our data being available for more nefarious reasons.

Look at AT&T this week, 73 million people affected by their beach. I got an email that my SS# was found on the dark web whatever the hell that is. Point is your info is pretty much out there or is going to be no matter what. 

By the way I'm freaking out about my SS# out there. ☹️

2 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Look at AT&T this week, 73 million people affected by their beach. I got an email that my SS# was found on the dark web whatever the hell that is. Point is your info is pretty much out there or is going to be no matter what. 

By the way I'm freaking out about my SS# out there. ☹️

I was too, but it wasn't the first breach I have been victim too either.  I have put freezes on all of my credit bureaus for this reason and monitor other things I cannot freeze.  I called the FTC a few years ago and was told there is nothing they really could do about this unless actual identity frauds occurs using my data (which it hasn't yet -- fingers crossed).

14 minutes ago, DoomSlayer said:

I was too, but it wasn't the first breach I have been victim too either.  I have put freezes on all of my credit bureaus for this reason and monitor other things I cannot freeze.  I called the FTC a few years ago and was told there is nothing they really could do about this unless actual identity frauds occurs using my data (which it hasn't yet -- fingers crossed).

Oh I have question, how the heck do I freeze my credit? I'm trying to do that but don't understand how?

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Just remember though any time you do anything that involves credit (new car, etc) you have to temporarily lift the freeze.

Yeah I have to remember that. I will be leasing a new vehicle next August, August 2025 that is. Oh we are kinda half in the house hunting market but really no hope at this point. 🤣 Too crazy around here right now. 

Credit freeze is a good idea.....but not foolproof.  A credit lock is allegedly the most effective but all 3 credit reporting agencies charge for the 'privilege '. I recently froze my stuff with all 3 (you have to create an account with all of them).  Experian is an utter PITA with endless marketing.

Mrs Geezer froze her files last year after Bank Of America welcomed her for opening her Celebrity Cruises Visa.......which she never did but someone in South Florida did. 🤬

5 hours ago, Fastfaller said:

That's not really a legitimate excuse to just give you info away to anyone.

Sure it is. All the many entities that require your photo and ss number you and others have listed. It's all already out there. And something like a photo to be on a cruise is yet another example. If you don't allow these things, you aren't living. You are hiding from life in a sea of what if fears.