Orchestrating an Intergenerational family vacation on Symphony of the Seas, March 23-31, 2024

jbrinkm

3 hours ago, asquared17 said:

i can’t tell if time is passing or i am getting older (probably both) — but your kids look so much older to me this time around???

My daughter seems to have maxed out at 5'3 and has been there for a few years, but my son just keeps growing. He and my husband did a photo of the two of them in Central Park tonight so I'm going to post a similar pic from the past two years to show the difference once I find the other two. 

We did NOT do our group in Central Park because of the Marilyn Monroe wind effect.

Oh, and we are not a fan of his 'stache but he does NOT want to shave it so we don't say anything... Teens have to figure out their own style, right? I am not one to talk because I had huge bangs at his age slathered with Aqua net.

So today was separate breakfast & lunch in the MDR; tomorrow is brunch. I asked our waiter (we have Leroy and Jeremi) and he said they just decide based on how the chef feels and what ingredients they have.

We had lunch in the MDR today and I really hated the butternut squash risotto. Dinners have been amazingly good but I did not enjoy either lunch.

4 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I thought that was a NCL thing..the one odd color fish was already swimming aft.

Haha! Yes! NCL does this on many ships! Thank you from someone who loves NCL and Royal equally! 

I can't find my pic, but there is always one fish pointing in the opposite direction. 

When you walk down any corridor, the fish face front. And usually there is a single rogue fish pointing in the opposite direction. 

Screenshot_20240329_235658_Freespoke.thumb.jpg.2fc80fb1da7aa5e508c49deebcc545d9.jpg

1 hour ago, jbrinkm said:

When we came back from Flight, someone had moved our magnet people into dirty positions. Not sharing a pic 😂

Apparently the teen crowd has discovered our magnet people. Just heard someone messing with them again and knocked on the door from the inside while looking through the peephole and man did they scurry off 🤣 i found it hilarious but also don't want to be woken up all night so I pulled them inside.

20240329_235840.thumb.jpg.89ae0dbd100e95ffc39da09807f3d2f5.jpg

12 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

There were some parts of the story line that were a little corny but the overall theme, the songs and the special effects were great, IMHO.

I love the theme of Flight. It's probably my favourite Royal Caribbean original production because of the theme. Maybe it's the teacher in me, but the "Dare to Dream" theme gets me every time I see it!

Johnny Rockets for breakfast today, Escape room & Playmakers for lunch.

20240330_094343.thumb.jpg.9a0e2146238e9b13727a1a3fd734dfa0.jpg

20240330_095705.thumb.jpg.d8db4c7f6b5c16a1c0f3af0e59d671de.jpg

PXL_20240330_165011308_MP.thumb.jpg.91d8955f9bc52e72b209025d499deff7.jpg

20240330_133912.thumb.jpg.42b71f9e1098cc4cca54e87998b737ab.jpg

20240330_133847.thumb.jpg.7524c3fc91c4b35a8eb919f3e495b254.jpg

These are the best onion rings I've ever had in my whole life. We were stuffed after lunch so will go back later for dessert.

After breakfast, I went on the water slide with the bowl. Wanted to do flow rider but ran out of time.

We missed winning the Escape Room by about 10 seconds. We literally just had to get a second person to press one button to finish the whole thing. We only used one clue and should have asked earlier for a second and third. My parents had never done an escape room and had no idea what was going on. My kids did a fantastic job figuring stuff out. I was the queen of pointing out when I thought something would be important but then letting others jump in to actually solve that thing 😂

1 hour ago, jbrinkm said:

Why don't my toiletries weigh less at the end of my vacation! I used them; there should be less of them, right? We're almost packed to put some suitcases out. 

We got a campfire cookie to go for our last evening snack.

20240330_215034.thumb.jpg.e6c0a066c4ef905e94d26ba0b2e26601.jpg

Yumm! My wife's favorite!

On 3/29/2024 at 9:12 PM, jbrinkm said:

This red velvet cake was delicious! The MDR chef is French so I'm wondering if that makes any difference with the pastries? I've had so many bad versions of "red velvet" on Royal that my expectations were low, but I was thrilled with what I got.

20240329_182429.jpg

Woohoo for red velvet cake 

On 3/23/2024 at 6:31 PM, jbrinkm said:

Ok, we are on the ship. It has been a day! In addition to the horrible weather mentioned in @OCSC Mike and @GatorCruiser's blog, there was a VIP & Secret Service shut down of the port from 11am-noon. Traffic came to a grinding halt. For. An. Hour.

My parents made it in just before and said nothing was moving and all baggage attendants were just sitting around with nothing to do. We were stuck in our Uber. The poor Uber driver had to just sit with us for that whole time. We tipped him well! 

I'll do a series of short posts as I'm able to try to recap our day. 

I don't plan on posting our MDR dinner options - I figure the menu has been the same for a year and people have probably seen all of the options by now. We did have lunch at Jamie's so I've got those (y'all are going to be so sick of my new toy - the collage!)

Appys

20240323_192655-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.b2757d12214e602a16452ae7b79eb860.jpg

Mains

20240323_192712-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.606c927225281c8a2e906e080b008b7e.jpg

Desserts (we all shared):

20240323_192726-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.25908a3700e86ff4420372dc32383bbd.jpg

We went to Jamie's for lunch. The food was very good.

17 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Then we hid some ducks. Two were picked up immediately after we started to walk away so I think those little girls saw us hide them. 

@DoomSlayer there are two hidden in a space where families can have non-electric fun together and one in a whimsical restaurant.

20240330_140739.jpg

We are getting ready to board in a few hours. I’ll have to go look to see what I can find!

3 hours ago, Sweety said:

Safe travels home. Happy Easter!!!!

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Safe travels home @jbrinkm. Thanks for the ride. 😊

Thank you! We are in our ride to the airport now. One little shenanigan this morning. We were in the long, snaking line that creeps to the scanner to exit the ship and two guys with their luggage just came off the elevator, started walking alongside the line and then just tried to squeeze in front of me. I asked - are you with them? Pointing to the people in front of us, the first guy said no, I'm with him and shrugged to his friend. I said - then the line is all the way back there and pushed myself back in front of them. I guess the people behind us didn't care if they cut the line because then they were still just behind us sniggering and generally being obnoxious. 

39 minutes ago, DoomSlayer said:

We are getting ready to board in a few hours. I’ll have to go look to see what I can find

If you don't find them, I'll tell you exactly where so you don't waste your time looking for ducks that were already picked up. You'll know mine from the picture I posted here and my handwritten note 😳

I will try to do some wrap up in the next day or so, after I finish unpacking, catching up on mail and email and getting laundry going.

Getting out of the terminal today was a bit of a zoo; we usually don't leave until the end of disembarkation and crowds have cleared out, but we had an 11:30am flight from PBI so we got into the line around 8:20am which was the thick of it, and finally got into our ride around 9:10am. Because of the long ride and the early flight, I booked Blacklane and got charged for a few extra minutes of wait time because I had no signal in the terminal and my texts didn't go through.

It isn't worth arguing about it, but he arrived an hour earlier than I booked and bothered me a few times asking when we would get out when we were still trying to get a seat in the WJ for breakfast. I reminded him that we booked for 8:50 not 7:50, so he said to let him know when he should pull around. As soon as we got to our luggage, I texted him three times but there was no cell signal in the building so I had to call him when we got outside and those were the extra minutes we got charged for - because my texts didn't go through (so instead of being in the process of pulling up for us, he was still "waiting.")

We had no traffic getting to PBI but he started going to Miami accidentally and had to turn around. 😂 And told us not to talk to him. But everything after that was very comfortable and smooth, timing was perfect, flight got in early and no traffic to get home (although AGAIN, there was a bad accident - 5 fire trucks - on the other side of the turnpike backing up everyone going the other direction).

We had parked at Value Parking which I recommend for Newark. It is a dumpy little lot, but the people are nice, the rates are decent for Newark, the shuttle comes quickly when you call, and our car was perfectly fine. Just got groceries for the week (that we have to cook ourselves 😭) and my husband went to pick up our Seeing Eye puppy from the sitter.

2 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Thanks for the advice you provided for my questions.  I’m getting excited to step onto Symphony in just 46 days.  Check in is tomorrow so you know who will be awake around Midnight! 🤭
I truly loved your pictures and descriptions!  Glad you had such an enjoyable vacation.

You're welcome! Happy to answer any other questions that may pop up. I really loved Symphony!!!