Royal Caribbean background check

13 minutes ago, chrismelissa said:

Dose Royal Caribbean prohibit any one with a criminal history, from sailing like a misdemeanor, and what do they check for ??

Yes Royal does background checks. There was a thread where a person cruise was cancelled because of her husband's criminal record. However, keep in mind that more than 50%, yes that high, of sexual predators, rapist, etc. aren't convicted. 

2 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Yes Royal does background checks. There was a thread where a person cruise was cancelled because of her husband's criminal record. However, keep in mind that more than 50%, yes that high, of sexual predators, rapist, etc. aren't convicted. 

This is interesting. I don’t think they have the bandwidth to perform background checks on everyone. It may be random. 

2 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

This is interesting. I don’t think they have the bandwidth to perform background checks on everyone. It may be random. 

I didn't either, I think this is why the manifest is important. I think they are doing it at the embarkation ports and not as a whole throughout the company. They could be using software to flag, anyone. 

FYI Cruising to Canada the Canadian government will not let anyone in with a DUI unless you go through many hoops.  US Customs does background checks when disembarking cruise ports and will arrest people with outstanding warrants.

24 minutes ago, MLH said:

FYI Cruising to Canada the Canadian government will not let anyone in with a DUI unless you go through many hoops.  US Customs does background checks when disembarking cruise ports and will arrest people with outstanding warrants.

Yup, a guy at work went through this last year. hoops upon hoops. He gave up and booked a different cruise. I was blown away at how crazy that whole thing was. 

1 hour ago, chrismelissa said:

Dose Royal Caribbean prohibit any one with a criminal history, from sailing like a misdemeanor, and what do they check for ??

Bottom line. Please give us more info. Criminal charge and ports they will be visiting. A great deal of it is a DUI thing everyone is discussing. And that is very Canada specific. For instance you use the word "misdemeanor". What's a misdemeanor is the U.S. may be something bigger elsewhere. Not trying to be nosey, but can help more with details. 

10 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Bottom line. Please give us more info. Criminal charge and ports they will be visiting. A great deal of it is a DUI thing everyone is discussing. And that is very Canada specific. For instance you use the word "misdemeanor". What's a misdemeanor is the U.S. may be something bigger elsewhere. Not trying to be nosey, but can help more with details. 

Based on recent news it looks like the company should probably be doing a better job of screening their own employees…. This is a creeper to the max. 

IMG_0231.jpeg

26 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Based on recent news it looks like the company should probably be doing a better job of screening their own employees…. This is a creeper to the max. 

IMG_0231.jpeg

That is disturbing on so many levels. I think it’s safe to say not everyone can be a good human being. Not sure of how RCL can combat this outside of deeper checks, but if they have never been arrested for being a creep, how will the company know?

I don’t know if it’s a cruise line process…or if the CBP (in the U.S.) automatically does it when they get the manifest. I’m presuming that’s why they want the manifest early. I’m thinking it would be pretty difficult to screen each and every passenger with a complete background check. Not only entering the info, but then someone screening the results.

More likely CBP will scan the manifest and respond to flags. Wanted people, watch list names, those on court restricted travel, passport irregularities, etc…

2 hours ago, Nick560 said:

That is disturbing on so many levels. I think it’s safe to say not everyone can be a good human being. Not sure of how RCL can combat this outside of deeper checks, but if they have never been arrested for being a creep, how will the company know?

I think this is a good point for everyone who is saying Royal has to do a better job screening. If someone has never been caught/charged how are they supposed to screen them out? 

13 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I think this is a good point for everyone who is saying Royal has to do a better job screening. If someone has never been caught/charged how are they supposed to screen them out? 

Exactly, it's impossible to weed out every single bad apple. The cruise lines can't, the theme parks can't, just because of that scenario, never caught, never charged. Wolf in sheeps clothing. ☹️

All cruise lines do run the manifest though the sex offender database. I don't know if they do it themselves or if the government somehow does it. But the manifest is not run until a day or two before departure.

Other countries may also run it, like Canada has the no DUI rule and things like that. 

How many of you will be either clogging the underside of the bed with suitcases or peeking under the bed before showering from now on? The stateroom attendants really do have carte blanche while cleaning so camera installs and hiding under the bed is always possible. As a father of two young girls, you can bet the ranch I am always on the lookout for creepers. 

I used to travel, and cruise solo a lot. As a woman I am always on the lookout. I used to believe because I was plus size, I didn't have anything to worry about and I was very wrong. I am also weird, and sort of germaphobe. So not only do I wipe everything down, but I also always check if anything looks weird. I had a weird experience at Labadee and won't go to certain areas alone. I was very shocked when I boarded Allure the end of Jan and the cabin doors were open on embarkation day, I truly hope this is not a thing going forward. Because open cabins give anyone the ability to do anything. 

7 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

The hiding under bed thing baffles me. You would think he would have to be there for hours in some instances. You'd think there would be some noise at some point. Also, he wasn't missed at all during that time?

Who knows if that's even accurate. Something may have been lost in translation in the interview or lost in translation when a reporter interpreted a police report.

You're right, the logistics of that are pretty odd.

32 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

The hiding under bed thing baffles me. You would think he would have to be there for hours in some instances. You'd think there would be some noise at some point. Also, he wasn't missed at all during that time?

Maybe not, if he had a camera then he knew the pattern and timing over the course of a week and probably knew exactly when to slip in and out of there. I don’t know how I would react if I caught this creep under the bed but I’m sure it wouldn’t end well. 

37 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I used to travel, and cruise solo a lot. As a woman I am always on the lookout. I used to believe because I was plus size, I didn't have anything to worry about and I was very wrong. I am also weird, and sort of germaphobe. So not only do I wipe everything down, but I also always check if anything looks weird. I had a weird experience at Labadee and won't go to certain areas alone. I was very shocked when I boarded Allure the end of Jan and the cabin doors were open on embarkation day, I truly hope this is not a thing going forward. Because open cabins give anyone the ability to do anything. 

I can’t recall the last time they were closed on embarkation day. Every single time we get to the cabin the door is wide open and the key cards are in the sleeve in holder next to door. I agree with you that there is an open opportunity for someone with bad intentions to take advantage of this lapse in security. I also think with the advanced technology in 2024 that we are subject to being watched via hidden cameras more then anyone would care to know. 

There's no way you'd be kept off a ship for a (US) misdemeanor.

I'd also venture to say there are convicted felons on every cruise. It's just not that particularly uncommon. 

I'm no expert in the justice system, but I also imagine some violent ex-cons -- and certainly anyone on probation -- aren't able to hold passports, so their ability to go anywhere too interesting on a cruise would be limited to begin with. 

2 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Maybe not, if he had a camera then he knew the pattern and timing over the course of a week and probably knew exactly when to slip in and out of there. I don’t know how I would react if I caught this creep under the bed but I’m sure it wouldn’t end well. 

I'm a mom of a young teen daughter and young son and I agree. If I caught this, it wouldn't end well. It would be worse if my husband caught it. Unfortunately people can get away with alot before getting caught the first time. This is why as travelers we should always be vigilant without being paranoid.

21 hours ago, MLH said:

We just recently sailed out of Vancouver. I have a DUI on my record from thirty years ago. When we booked the cruise I was not aware of Canada refusing entrance for anyone with a DUI. I did my due diligence and put together any information that I may have needed to be able to get into Canada, passport, copy of prior criminal record and a completed temporary residence form stating that I was rehabilitated. When we got to customs everything was automated kiosks we entered all of our information scanned our passports and walked right through. I believe if the DUI is less than ten years old it could be an issue but we had no problems. My advice for people in this situation is to do what I did and get everything ready and if you are flagged present all of the info. From the information I've gathered if you are flagged and have all of the proper paperwork and a temporary residence form filled out you can pay a fee to be able to pass through Canada. If you were staying in Canada for an extended time things may be different.

I'm probably going to be checking every nook and cranny in the room now for hidden cameras... you never know what kind of people these cabin stewards are...

I feel like this isn't just an issue with cruise ships though, it's a problem anywhere where cleaners have access to your room. 

On 3/6/2024 at 7:14 PM, Jamesszy94 said:

I'm probably going to be checking every nook and cranny in the room now for hidden cameras... you never know what kind of people these cabin stewards are...

I feel like this isn't just an issue with cruise ships though, it's a problem anywhere where cleaners have access to your room. 

100%. Rogue employees with bad intentions can be anywhere. Thankfully the majority of people are good people and want to do the right thing. Currently shopping on Amazon for some of that alien technology that scans for WiFi devices. I plan to canvas the stateroom from now on. Sad reality for a relaxing vacation but it’s going to be standard operating procedure for my family from now on.