"New Year, New Odyssey. Our Journey into 2024…" – OY 12/31/2023 – 01/06/2024

Lovetocruise2002

"New Year, New Odyssey. Our Journey into 2024…" – OY 12/31/2023 – 01/06/2024

OYBlogpic.thumb.jpg.176d81741e0787164fd75be7d0848536.jpg

I am writing this blog with a heavy heart. Even as I write this, I am not sure if this sailing will be a go for us or not. I even contemplated not blogging, because I was not sure if I had it in me at this moment. However, blogging makes me happy, and these blogs remain a great way to record our memories, and that is what these trips are all about. Making memories with the ones we love.

About 3 weeks ago, our lives were unexpectedly turned upside down. My Dad is going through a major health crisis that took us completely by surprise. If you asked me 3 weeks ago if I was going on this sailing, I would have probably said no. However, as awful as the situation is, our health care system in Ontario has not totally failed us, and my Dad has received treatment, and is stable for the time being.

I have long supported the whole “YOLO Book It” mentality, the pandemic fueled it. However, with the events that have transpired over the last few weeks, it has only strengthened our resolve to seize each moment, to not let a single opportunity pass us by, to truly live, and have no regrets, and to take every moment to enjoy each other because life is so fragile.

We have no idea what 2024 is going to hold for our family. But one thing is certain, we take heart in knowing that God is working for our good in the midst of all of this, and there is always joy come morning.

Moving on to our NYE sailing on Odyssey of the Seas…

This is our first time on Odyssey. We were booked on the original inaugural sailing of this ship with quite a few others from this blog community. That was cancelled by the pandemic, and this NYE was our first opportunity to re-book this ship. I booked this sailing the day new itineraries were released. I am truly looking forward to this. I feel like OY got lost a bit in the shuffle by Wonder, and then Icon, but she is still fairly new and has a lot to offer.

As many of you know, I am not a fan of Quantum class ships, however, I am intrigued by how OY will differ.

Who’s Going?

Me, Hubby, D17, D15

Flight

Delta from DTW-FLL; booked through Air2Sea. Flying in on the 29th (tomorrow!) as our family policy is now 2 days early if we can swing it. Flight prices are horrendous for this trip, even compared to past NYE trips that we have taken. We were able to price it down a few times before final payment, but it was still double what we paid last year at this time. We even contemplated driving down, but in the end, Hubby was not up for that. Hopefully this doesn’t backfire, and he ends up driving anyway!

Pre-Cruise Stay

I booked our pre-cruise hotel for this trip the as soon as hotels released prices for our dates. The first reason was because I knew from the last few NYE sailings we’ve done; these hotels sell out fast and prices skyrocket the closer you get. Also, booking early allows me to grab the room type that I wanted because there was something specific that I had in mind.

When we sailed out of Port Everglades in the past, we have always stayed on 17th Street. I cannot even remember a time when we did not. However, because we are flying in 2 days early, and because we have no idea which, or if any freeloaders will be cruising with us for future NYE sailings, we wanted this one to be a bit more special. D15 has always looked longingly at the beach during our PE sail aways. She always asks why we cannot stay along the beach (Hello child, you know this family loves La Bamba right?), so for this pre-cruise stay, we are doing just that.

I have always wanted to try the Conrad on Fort Lauderdale Beach, however @Jax persuaded me to try out the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort. I was really impressed by her review on this property last year and I’ve been following them on Instagram for about a year now. I think this property is a better fit for the 4 of us over the Conrad. In addition, I persuaded D17’s best friend to stay there with her family back in September, and they loved it as well, so we are pretty excited for our stay.

This will sadly mean that we have to Uber/Lyft our way to our beloved La Bamba.

Itinerary

29 DEC Arrive Fort Lauderdale, Florida

30 DEC FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA

31 DEC FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA (Cruise Day !)

01 JAN PERFECT DAY COCOCAY, BAHAMAS

02 JAN CRUISING

03 JAN LABADEE, HAITI

04 JAN PUERTO PLATA, DOMINICAN REP

05 JAN CRUISING

06 JAN FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA

Cabin

The recurring theme for our next few family sailings is, “Go Big, or Go Home” because D17 is graduating high school this June and we have no idea what that means for sailing as a family of 4 in the future. For this sailing, we will be revisiting a cabin that we fell in love with when we sailed Anthem to Norway.

Pre-Cruise thoughts

-        This is probably one of the most relaxed sailings for me in terms of pre-cruise planning. With two beach days (PDCC and Labadee), Hubby and the girls are going to do their beach things and I will likely not get off the ship at all, except for the day in Puerto Plata.

-        Long time blog members, @recogneyesand @WannaCruise will be on this sailing too. Hoping that we can find a time to finally meet each other. Canadians need to stick together lol

-        This was unfortunately one of the first times where both hotel and cruise fare never dropped since initial booking. Both were booked on the day it was released, and prices have just climbed over time. Zero opportunities for price adjustments this time around.

-        Once again, in the spirit of a live blog, please do not hesitate to ask any questions.  I will do my best to find out whatever I can for you.

-        When responding to a post with a series of pictures, please do not include the pictures in your reply.  It just makes for easier scrolling.

-        Lastly, I will try to post videos and stories on Instagram.  You can follow me @lovetocruise2002

Royal Up

Royal Up offers for this sailing came in on November 1st, exactly 60 days prior to sailing. Prices are below. I texted @Jax and my TA right away because I thought it was pretty reasonable to try for the RLS. Also, the RLS was showing availability long after final payment. Sadly, I pulled our offer 3 weeks ago when this sailing became uncertain. I could not risk winning the RU, and then having to cancel, so we will be staying put in our original cabin.

IMG_9208.thumb.jpeg.d356736943642dca540df5e5d4d112c7.jpeg

Other dates…

We actually received our pre-cruise survey for this sailing. Our track record is about 50/50 for this survey. The email came in at 10 weeks out. A record for the earliest pre-cruise survey ever!

Shows were released 66 days out. Only “The Book” was available for pre-cruise reservations.

Sergii, our Genie, reached out about 6 weeks ago. I have handed everything over to him. I have zero clue when our activities are, or when/where we are eating. He seems very much on top of things. He already reached out via Whatsapp a week ago. It's very relaxing going into sailing this way.

This is our first NYE sailing on a Quantum class ship. I remember a thread a month or so ago where @tonyfsu21 and others were discussing pricing for tables and locations, and I wondered where Odyssey would section off tables for NYE. Sergii has provided some info on that via 2 PDF documents. At first I found them quite confusing, but now it makes sense.

Basically, there are 2 venues on Quantum class where celebration tables can be reserved: 270 and the Esplanade (Deck 5).

You pick a package (Royal, Elegant, or Exclusive) and then you pick for how many. At first I was confused by the "Single, Duo, Trio", but Sergii explained that Single (2 people; 1 bottle of champagne), Duo (2-4 people; 2 bottles of champagne), and Trio (5-6 seats; 3 bottles of champagne).

After you confirm your package, then you can pick the location and the seats (as located in the 2nd PDF).

NYE 2024 VIP Pre Selling Odyssey.pdf NYE 2024 VIP Seat Map Odyssey.pdf

Best wishes to you, your dad, and your entire family.

I hope this cruise and this blog provide whatever will temporarily help with what you're going through... be it distraction, usual cruise enjoyment, or an amazing trip to the WJ (OK, obviously not the last one).

1 minute ago, tonyfsu21 said:

It looks like the rain showers we have had over the past week or so should be gone and the sun should be shining! Enjoy your pre cruise beach stay with the family. 

Funny that you mention that. We have been checking the weather for Fort Lauderdale and it doesn't look very warm. Poor D15 has waited years to stay on the beach and with Friday/Saturday temps in the 60s, I don't even know if they will be able to lie out on the beach as they had planned.

10 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Funny that you mention that. We have been checking the weather for Fort Lauderdale and it doesn't look very warm. Poor D15 has waited years to stay on the beach and with Friday/Saturday temps in the 60s, I don't even know if they will be able to lie out on the beach as they had planned.

Friday 70F, Saturday 67F highs. Not 100% perfect beach weather but the sun should make an appearance. I don’t trust the forecasts so maybe it will be surprisingly better than projected. 

29 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I don’t trust the forecasts so maybe it will be surprisingly better than projected. 

We're hoping! Otherwise, we might make a trip to Sawgrass Mills.

18 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Very sorry to hear your father is unwell.  Prayers for his complete and speedy recovery.  🥰

Thank you!

48 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

Praying for your family. I hope you all are able to enjoy your trip. I’m sure your dad wants you to have a great trip with your girls. 

Thank you! 

2 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I hope your dad has a speedy recovery. I also hope this is a wonderful trip with the four of you. Sending all the good juju 💜😘

Thank you! This vacation is the exact break we need after the last few weeks! Let’s pray there are no flight hiccups tomorrow. I don’t know how much more stress I can handle 😂

you know i am keeping you all in my thoughts + prayers. 💚💚

also the hilton beach resort!! we stayed there; it’s clean and nice, i think you’ll do fine there as a family. 

i am eager to hear your thoughts on odyssey; and looking very forward to seeing your cabin. 

hopefully everyone gets their packing butt in gear POST HASTE!!

also i know you love la bamba, but Lona is right down the street (you can walk!!) and the shrimp  tacos are OUTSTANDING  

some pics of the views from the pool deck (which is up on 6) at the hilton! 

IMG_2814.jpeg

IMG_2899.jpeg

IMG_2881.jpeg

I am happy to say that other than going to bed early tonight, there is not much else I can do.

I am also excited to show you guys my newest Beis additions for this trip. Bought it for myself as a birthday gift last month. I told @Jax to talk me out of it, but she was no help. 
IMG_9231.thumb.jpeg.d6f089994716cb2b6b385c2816a1ee33.jpeg

1 minute ago, asquared17 said:

you know i am keeping you all in my thoughts + prayers. 💚💚

I know. Thank you. 💚

1 minute ago, asquared17 said:

i am eager to hear your thoughts on odyssey;

I have high hopes for this ship! While I don't like Quantum class, OY has additions from OA class that I really like.

2 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

hopefully everyone gets their packing butt in gear POST HASTE!!

You and me both!

It's Hubby that is worrisome. 12 hours left until we load the car and he is not even home yet to begin his packing...smh

I'm so sorry to hear that your Dad is unwell.  Prayers for his speedy and full recovery🙏.  I hope you, your husband and the girls can relax and enjoy yourselves.   I always look forward to your star class blogs.  I really enjoyed my Odyssey  cruise to the Greek Isles back in Sept 2022 for my 60th birthday.  We were in an Aft balcony deck 12.  Have a safe and uneventful trip tomorrow. 

22 minutes ago, MaryS said:

hope you, your husband and the girls can relax and enjoy yourselves.   I always look forward to your star class blogs.  I really enjoyed my Odyssey  cruise to the Greek Isles back in Sept 2022 for my 60th birthday.  We were in an Aft balcony deck 12.  Have a safe and uneventful trip tomorrow. 

Thank you! We would have been Deck 10 aft had the original inaugural of OY not been cancelled. And yes, uneventful travel day would be a huge blessing! 🤞

1 hour ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Have you been to Sawgrass Mills before? 

Ages ago! I think the last time we went was pre-kids. So that would be at least 17+ years ago. Usually with one night only in Fort Lauderdale, there’s never time to go there. I would want to at least devote half to three quarters of a day there if we go. But if it’s chilly on Saturday, we might make our way in that direction. We’re playing it by ear on this one! Even this sailing was a “game time decision”. Lol

Oh when you said the blog might be delayed, i thought maybe it was due to good news, though I'm not sure why i thought that. Like maybe you canceled the 6 night for a 10 night somewhere else. I'm sorry to hear your dad is not well. My prayers are with your family as well as the doctors who are treating him. I bet you are cherishing the Villa Suite family cruise now more than ever. 🥰

I'm glad you decided to go and am looking forward to your review. I too am hoping for a smooth travel day for you tomorrow 🙏 ☺️ .

8 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Royal Up

Royal Up offers for this sailing came in on November 1st, exactly 60 days prior to sailing. Prices are below. I texted @Jax and my TA right away because I thought it was pretty reasonable to try for the RLS. Also, the RLS was showing availability long after final payment. Sadly, I pulled our offer 3 weeks ago when this sailing became uncertain. I could not risk winning the RU, and then having to cancel, so we will be staying put in our original cabin.

IMG_9208.thumb.jpeg.d356736943642dca540df5e5d4d112c7.jpeg

Still can’t believe how much lower your RU offers were than mine. 

5 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am also excited to show you guys my newest Beis additions for this trip. Bought it for myself as a birthday gift last month. I told @Jax to talk me out of it, but she was no help. 

Hello, haven’t we established that I am an enabler. lol 

3 hours ago, SweetPea said:

I bet you are cherishing the Villa Suite family cruise now more than ever. 🥰

You have no idea! I always knew that was a special one, now even more so. 

3 hours ago, Jax said:

Still can’t believe how much lower your RU offers were than mine. 

Even looking at some of the opening bids that people have from the RU FB group, your bids are more along the lines of what others are seeing. That was a rare one for sure.

3 hours ago, Jax said:

Hello, haven’t we established that I am an enabler. lol 

😂 you most definitely are