Please help calculate (I am anxious!)

BigKarl

I will be retiring in December and will be calculating the number of Cruises I must take to get to Pinnacle status.  I have most of the numbers crunched already but need to verify a couple of things first.

1.  Does a Solo Cruiser only pay Gratuities for a single guest ($16/day)  or is this also increased for single guests.

2. Does a solo Cruiser get Double C&A points for any Cabin Category?  Or is there a minimum category requirement for Double points.

3. Will my Spouse share Pinnacle Status when we cruise together once I reach this status?

To answer the question ahead of some of you, No I will not be leaving my wife by herself as we have 2 adult children and three dogs at home. We also have lots of family less than 10 miles away.  🙂 

If anyone can review and reply to these questions and anything else I may have forgotten to include in my calculations, I will be very grateful for your input.  I am getting quite excited about this possibility and hoping to pull it off in 2024.

Any cabin but a solo cabin would be an extra point. Obviously sailing in JS or above would be 3pts.

You only pay taxes, fees and gratuities for one person. Only the fare is double.  Once you reach the 340 threshold it will be 150% as opposed to 200%.

Keep in mind that the points aren't cumulative. That means if only you sail, then the points are only yours. Your partner will share status but not points. That means if she sails without you it will be her points.

WOOT!   It all works out then.   I will be Pinnacle status on my birthday 12/17/2024.   Also, if anyone is interested in the numbers I used to calculate this I can post them. Like total nights needed to reach this level. Cost for Solo vs. Double occupancy (Bring girlfriend er...  I mean Wife).

Sailing solo leaving your wife, grown kids, family and dogs home…to reach Pinnacle Club status quicker.

Depriving yourself of your loving family and pets just so your wife can enjoy the privileges of Pinnacle with you sooner than if you did it together is an enormously selfless sacrifice.

You, sir, are a hero! I salute you!🫡

Studio cabins should be avoided.  Any cabin with the word "studio".

Book one passenger and pay any single supplement, don't try to book a 'ghost' or phantom passenger and have them be a no-show.  That can now cause single points when cruising solo.  

I would validate your wife is known by CAS to be a "relationship" with you.  If there is a scenario where you or her have cruised without each other in the past then make sure you understand who has the higher actual nights sailed.  If it's you then you are good, if it is her you will need to recalculate your math. 

If you log into each other's CAS accounts your points should appear to be the same when in a CAS relationship even though in the background they know your individual points.  If you have her points count from previous cruising she did without you then your points won't begin to increase until you surpass her individual number.   Make sense?

Only one item to check - not all cruises are eligible for the single supplement discount (usually the entire summer cruise season isn't, for example). Otherwise ENJOY! I sent the Dearly Beloved (who's retired) on a whole slew of solo cruises so we'd hit Pinnacle fast. It worked out well 🙂

On 10/21/2023 at 8:31 PM, BigKarl said:

WOOT!   It all works out then.   I will be Pinnacle status on my birthday 12/17/2024.   Also, if anyone is interested in the numbers I used to calculate this I can post them. Like total nights needed to reach this level. Cost for Solo vs. Double occupancy (Bring girlfriend er...  I mean Wife).

I have found a flaw in my calculations.  I have counted the 150% price for a solo cruiser fare prematurely on my spreadsheet. I will reach 340 after my first 3 cruises but cannot use the discount until after that milestone cruise is completed.   Anyone know how long after you complete the 340 C&A points cruise before you can book at the discounted rate?  Also, if I book a cruise at the 200% solo rate will they discount the fare after the 340 discount cruise is completed and what if I paid the fare in full.  It only changes the statistics a little.  So many small details to think about.

So if you pay in full and want the discounted rate they will do it, but if the current pricing of the cruise has gone up, it may wipe out any savings you would have gotten with the single supplement. Best thing to do it put it in the hands of a good TA who will let you know if the repricing will save any money. In order to use the discounted rate for booking after the 340 points, it would be once they are posted to your account which is up to 10 days from completion of your qualifying sailing.

Keep an eye out for transatlantic deals if you really want to climb the ladder fast and have time.  Great value especially on older ships.  Twelve to fourteen nights doubles to a nice big number for climbing the ladder.  Splurge on a suite solo transatlantic and 14 x 3 = 42 points.  

Also keep an eye when they have to re-deploy a ship like Rhapsody in Panama.  Sometimes they waive single supplements or offer reduced single supplements quietly without telling the world about it.    

I am not trying to be snarky, just genuinely curious. Why? What is it about Pinnacle that would make you want to spend this much money to sail alone just to reach that milestone faster? I'm wondering if you have added up the additional value of Pinnacle level verses the cost of all these cruises? Free internet - not expensive to purchase. Free drinks? Diamond Plus already get  5 per day each. Free cruise? $2500 or so is a drop in the bucket in comparison. My DH and I are completely loyal to Royal with over 50 cruises and over 400 points, but we just don't see the value of chasing Pinnacle. That is why I am curious. No judgement, just wondering. 

On 10/23/2023 at 2:42 PM, BigKarl said:

I have found a flaw in my calculations.  I have counted the 150% price for a solo cruiser fare prematurely on my spreadsheet. I will reach 340 after my first 3 cruises but cannot use the discount until after that milestone cruise is completed.   Anyone know how long after you complete the 340 C&A points cruise before you can book at the discounted rate?  Also, if I book a cruise at the 200% solo rate will they discount the fare after the 340 discount cruise is completed and what if I paid the fare in full.  It only changes the statistics a little.  So many small details to think about.

You can't count on the 340 point single supplement discount. It isn't available on every cruise or every category of room. If you don't count it in your calculations you err on the side of being much more conservative with your estimates.

8 hours ago, Cello56 said:

I am not trying to be snarky, just genuinely curious. Why? What is it about Pinnacle that would make you want to spend this much money to sail alone just to reach that milestone faster? I'm wondering if you have added up the additional value of Pinnacle level verses the cost of all these cruises? Free internet - not expensive to purchase. Free drinks? Diamond Plus already get  5 per day each. Free cruise? $2500 or so is a drop in the bucket in comparison. My DH and I are completely loyal to Royal with over 50 cruises and over 400 points, but we just don't see the value of chasing Pinnacle. That is why I am curious. No judgement, just wondering. 

Excellent question !  currently I will be retiring in 2 months but unfortunately my wife doesn't want to retire for two more years so at the risk of being bored I have decided to spend 200 days aboard a Cruise ship (Not all 200 at once but all within the year).  The first reason is to determine if I would like staying on a ship for extended periods of time so that when my wife does retire we can do the same for her.  We have only taken one B2B cruise because of my wife's dedication to her job. Me....  Not so much. The second reason is that I am not in great health and have always wanted to try "Living on a cruise ship."  I may never get the chance if I don't start soon.

I am not actually "Chasing" pinnacle per se but it will be a bonus when my wife does retire as she will enjoy the added Perks as well. After 40 years of work I am convincing myself that I deserve this while I can still enjoy it and am healthy enough to do it. Also, I live close to the pier in Los Angeles and it is a minimal cost to get to the Cruise ship. After calculating everything I will be spending less than 30K for B2B2B2B2B2B...  (You get the idea) cruising.  I will be out nothing if I do not choose to continue and will not be disheartened if I do not or can not reach my dream of spending my retirement years on a Cruise ship. Pinnacle is just a milestone and not a goal I am reaching for in this endeavor. I am hoping that I will enjoy it as much as I have been wanting to do this for over 40 years since my first Royal Cruise in 1983.

9 hours ago, BigKarl said:

Oh! and I have two adult children that have lived with me for 15 years and 3 dogs so just being away for months at a time far outweigh any Pinnacle perks!

Adult kids I totally understand but I miss my dog after a long weekend let alone our B2B cruises!! 

I want to start a new trend.  I have decided that since my wife will not be accompanying me I will not be hiding Ducks for the "Cruising Ducks" craze and instead will be using these https://www.amazon.com/DolliBu-Global-Buddies-Yellow-Rooster/dp/B075FJDRR3/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid=1332608660666258&hvadid=83288255932860&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=79947&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=p&hvtargid=kwd-83288395280504%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=4097_13164447&keywords=rubber+duck+chicken&qid=1698682441&sr=8-3 

I will call this new craze "Cruising for Chicks"    

2 hours ago, BigKarl said:

I want to start a new trend.  I have decided that since my wife will not be accompanying me I will not be hiding Ducks for the "Cruising Ducks" craze and instead will be using these https://www.amazon.com/DolliBu-Global-Buddies-Yellow-Rooster/dp/B075FJDRR3/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid=1332608660666258&hvadid=83288255932860&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=79947&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=p&hvtargid=kwd-83288395280504%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=4097_13164447&keywords=rubber+duck+chicken&qid=1698682441&sr=8-3 

I will call this new craze "Cruising for Chicks"    

Too cute.  I'm sure your wife will be thrilled about that name !  

I am D+ and I figure there's little chance of us making Pinnacle.  We got a very late start into the cruising lifestyle, and  we lost some momentum during the Covid cruise curtailments.  

I cruised extra heavy to make D and D+, but now I'm just gonna cruise to cruise.😎  And knowing I probably wont make Pinnacle, I can spend more time trying the other cruise lines.