COVID - Allure of the Seas

Jeff McG

I was on Allure of the Seas from August 20-27.

Three of us tested positive on Sunday when we returned home.  My wife started to have a sore throat on Thursday, myself on Saturday and our daughter on Sunday.  

6 of the 8 people my daughter was hanging out with on the ship have Covid, and a number of their parents.   

Anyone else on that cruise and develop Covid?

Was just at my cardiologist office 2 days ago-half his staff is out with Covid.  It’s here to stay.  Maybe join the Facebook group for your sailing and you can all discuss positive/negative results….it’s been a “thing” since the restart-even when there was mandatory testing, masking and distancing people tested positive-always convenient when the symptoms happened to start the minute they disembarked.
hope your symptoms are mild. 

25 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

It's just about guaranteed that someone has Covid on every ship every week. There's really no need to ask about specific sailings.

I agree, but I see 1) An increase in cases. 2) Of the people on the cruise that I know of, we saw a lot end up with Covid, and I didnt' interact with them.  3) 2 couples at the car rental pick up on Sunday looked to be sick with coughing and nose    

It is not like it was a few months ago with low running levels.  It looks to be ramping up fast, in line with what you see in the news with concern of another wave.

People have always left cruises with coughs and runny noses from various cold viruses. For decades before covid this was true.

It's just now an accepted fact that covid is in that group of cold viruses that exists in the world. And when someone travels to a new place and interacts with new people from other places, there's a higher chance of encountering "new to you" viruses.  

I got off Allure July 23rd and tested positive a few days later. While I could probably say "I got Covid on my cruise" with fair confidence, it's not a given. I could have been exposed at the airport, or on a shuttle, or the hotel prior to our cruise. If you're not taking direct precautions right now (avoiding large groups of people, wearing a mask, etc.), you're leaving yourself open to it. I'm vaccinated, boosted, and had it before - I didn't mask or avoid people while traveling or on the cruise. Thankfully, it was short and sharp and now all done.

I agree Covid seems to be here to stay.  Just glad we are not closing anything down any more and learning to live with it and protect ourselves.  I’m cruising on Liberty in October, I will mask up.  Wait, I don’t wanna look out of place.  Are people wearing mask on board?

17 minutes ago, Gilley said:

I agree Covid seems to be here to stay.  Just glad we are not closing anything down any more and learning to live with it and protect ourselves.  I’m cruising on Liberty in October, I will mask up.  Wait, I don’t wanna look out of place.  Are people wearing mask on board?

I hope not considering masks don’t work. This thread will be locked in 5.4.3.2.1 liftoff!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Gilley said:

Not really but I've also not seen anyone really make a fuss to those who did choose to mask up especially in elevators or while boarding. I think, overall, most people see masking as a personal choice and no one bothers you if you choose to wear it. we chose to mask in the shuttles and on the plane but opted against it for the ship and ports (not really sure why...probably just didn't feel like messing with it tbh)

1 hour ago, Gilley said:

I will mask up.  Wait, I don’t wanna look out of place.  Are people wearing mask on board?

I hope this isn't what will guide your decision.

Much like what to wear in the MDR, do whatever you feel comfortable with and enjoy your cruise!

2 hours ago, Mike n Ky said:

Interesting...we leave on Allure this Sunday. But the fact is that there is a far greater chance of getting it onboard now than when we sailed a year ago since pretesting is no longer required.

It’s the new normal. You probably will get it during a week of cruising. I’m sailing Freedom this weekend and there’s a strong possibility that I will get home feeling sick as well. Hopefully you are healthy w/o a compromised immune system and Covid will be a non issue for you and whoever you are sailing with. It’s a risk vs reward type scenario and personally I will take my chances given the fact that you could get Covid walking through the supermarket just as easy.