charging for the pizza possible middle ground

What if they treated it like room service or Johnny Rockets on the Oasis class where they only charged before or after a certain time?  Since it is one of the few or only options opened late what if they said between 10AM and 9PM ( for example)it is free, BUT if you want it at 11 at night you have to pay for it or even the other way where it is only free during "off hours" say from 9PM  until closing ( since most people even though it is one of the only late night options would be getting it during the day).  This way they could still charge, while at the same time still having free pizza during certain times (either during peek times or during not so peek times where if you want something late night you have to pay for it, but it would be free for meals.     This may be a good "middle ground" and it is not as if they do not already do this with certain other food options so it would not be completely new. 

They may could either instead or in addition charge for certain pizzas if you wanted say cheese pizza or another "basic pizza" it would be free, but if you wanted say a speciality pizza  you would have to pay or what about you get your first one or two slices for free  after that you pay would also serve as a way to cut down on waste.  Way that could work is either only two free slices at a time or two free slices within a certain period of time say two free slices per six hour period. 

7 minutes ago, Xaa said:

No need for a middle ground.  Current ground has it free for all of the hours it is open.

I know, but if they want to consider starting to charge those may be good options.  It will allow them to make some money back on a popular item while giving people a "free" option to still have that item if they do not want to or are not willing to pay for it. 

On 8/16/2023 at 10:34 AM, CrznTxn said:

The only reasonable reason to charge for pizza at Sorrentos is for those who special order a whole pizza or two to take away to their room or to the pool.

This is the only thing I think makes sense. In fact, until I read about it here, I assumed they were charging for custom or whole pizzas. $5, $6 or $8 for a custom pie doesn't feel unreasonable.

This idea of charging for lousy pizza is so bizarre to me! It's an area that clearly they are not seeing a lot of food waste with - they only give 2 slices at a time, and it's relatively cheap to produce - which to me means they should be pushing people TOWARDS a free pizza option. That would relieve pressure on the Windjammer and MDR which are much more resource intensive. It feels like a full on money grab rather trying to solve food cost issues. 

6 minutes ago, Momof4crazytocruise said:

This idea of charging for lousy pizza is so bizarre to me! It's an area that clearly they are not seeing a lot of food waste with - they only give 2 slices at a time, and it's relatively cheap to produce - which to me means they should be pushing people TOWARDS a free pizza option. That would relieve pressure on the Windjammer and MDR which are much more resource intensive. It feels like a full on money grab rather trying to solve food cost issues. 

wait...they limit slices? because we haven't experienced that....even just last week we were getting 3 or 4 at a time and we were not alone

6 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

wait...they limit slices? because we haven't experienced that....even just last week we were getting 3 or 4 at a time and we were not alone

They always did for us on both Independence and Liberty, I assumed that was the standard. And Park Cafe limited us to 2 slices each time we went up on both Grandeur and Enchantment, so I figured it was a thing. We can go back as many times as we want, but always only would give 2 slices per person. 

4 hours ago, monctonguy said:

So what will the offer for a free/included menu/food item after the WJ closes till it opens at 6am or so?

nothing you want something at night say after 9PM you can pay for it or if you are on a ship with a promende that could sill be free 0600 to 2100 or 2200 is plenty of time for free food if in fact that wanted to start charging after that.

16 minutes ago, Jill said:

Per Michael Bayley:

image.thumb.png.5392818bfd7a58114ba4ffd34b03c97d.png

We should all keep this post because once he leaves RC will use the excuse of "he's not here anymore so we're going to charge now"

For the suggestion of charging if someone orders a whole pizza well will I get charged extra for my gluten free pizza because it only is handed out as a whole pizza ?  If it's just me I want 3 slices but have to order a whole one.

Someone described the food since reopening and by calling it "Applebees or Chili's" level of food.  I agree and  think it's nothing special anymore but you won't starve.  For my vacation time RC has previously delivered really good to excellent food.  That means this is a choice they make and after our one cruise we saw a Gordon's Food Service truck restocking the ship and that is the level of food they serve now.  We are cruising Celebrity for the first time next year and if they impress we will stick with them.  If not we'll keep moving up in price, which will limit our cruising, but we will look forward to meal time instead of almost dreading what the kitchen will send out.

@dogs4thewinCharging for pizza after 9 pm at night would be a good thing ?  We were in Alaska on a 7 hour excursion with no food included.  There were 3 buses of us coming back on the ship and we didn't get back until 9:30 pm.  So we should just settle for the tiny sandwiches in the Cafe ?  Order room service and wait for at least an hour ?

Glad the company heard the complaints and have gone with no charge.
As for charging for those who eat late night, I would think it should be the opposite. If there were to be a charge it should be during the day when you have choices.  At night there is no choice.  Pay or don't pay is not a choice.  It punishes all the people who go to the late shows and the dance clubs.  They already charge for room service, and the wait is ridculous and they screw up the orders.    But, it's settled for now.  Yeah!