150 Central Park or chops

cruisefam86

Can only speak of 150 Central Park on Wonder, but it was probably the nicest fine dining experience we ever enjoyed on land or sea. The food and service were impeccable and incredible. And the ever present ship photographer shot a very nice photo of us at our table. At least they went easy on the advertising on the print compared to the gaudy prints we bought on Jewel last November. 😀 Chops on Mariner and Jewel were both enjoyable, but I have to say 150 Central Park definitely elevates the game on Oasis ships.

I agree that 150 is probably a better option for a "special" night.  Saying that, I will add that I am not a huge fan of 150's menu.  If you like exotic dishes (venison, veal, lamb, duck, etc.), then 150 would be a real treat. We are NOT exotic food eaters (or at least, I am not.  Dan loves lamb.  UGH).  In the beginning (no, not going back quite THAT far  LOL), 150 was a Michael Schwartz venue and the menu was much better, IMO.  I so miss the exotic (see what I did there ?😜) salts that they used to have.  So anyway....food-wise, I prefer Chops but ambiance-wise, 150 is definitely a step up.

We LOVE 150 and will make two reservations there next week as we did last year. We start with their Urban Garden Featured Cocktail. 
Then onto our Roasted Spiced Pumkin Bisque! Our main is Lobster Thermador…end with Fried Cheescake. ❤️
We usually have a special bottle from Vintages, which is waiting for us there. (The wines we like goes quick so we order in advance)

Our waiter last year made the experience even more special!

150 for us.  Love the ambiance.  Love the wellington.  Love the service.  It doesn't feel rushed. The staff pays attention to you.  Every time we have gone when they bring out our apps they bring out another app they think we might like.  I am not a big eater...happy meals fill me up.  I rarely ever eat dessert bc I am too full. They were the only restaurant that actually packed me a to go dish of dessert to eat later.

Chops for us has become closer to a steakhouse chain, unfortunately not even close to a Ruth Chris or McCormick and Schmidts.  

We had unlimited dining on Symphony.  Had lunch and dinner there.  Both meals felt not only did the quality go down but the service too.  In other words it wasn't a 1 off situation.  

Also felt because its 1 of the most popular Royal is putting as many tables in there to be just below fire requirements.  You could hear conversations from every table next to yours.  Even got the pleasure of hearing a party of ten sitting 15 feet away talking the entire dinner.  Again it becomes the fact the tables are so close you naturally start talking louder because you're hearing the table next to you

Take a table outside and you will enjoy it.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 9:02 PM, Cruisin and Boozin said:

Oh my favorite two things at chops are lavender vodka martini and the jumbo lump crab cake!

Agreed!!  That was one of those drinks I could have had multiple of! 

Food wise, we've been to both.  We really liked 150 but thought some of the servings could have been larger (sorry, but I'd like more than a couple scallops for an appetizer).  Chops is also great but agreed with another poster that it's a basic menu, items you can get elsewhere.  

As WAAAYTOOO said, 150CP has an adventurous menu focused on untraditional land animal (even, gamey) protein options, which may not be for everyone.  I used the opportunity to have the duck.  To my surprise, the breast was much more tender than the thigh.

I agree about the service and ambiance.  Chops by comparison feels casual and rushed; the staff at 150 take attentive service to a new level.  They even brought out a birthday dessert for my youngest son, despite it not being his birthday, because he asked if the "Happy Birthday" sign was edible.

If RC wants another premium dining option, I suggest a good seafood restaurant.  I'd gladly pay a little more for king crab legs and Chilean sea bass.

I would be team central park.  My father would be team chops, I would imagine there are a lot of families that follow that generational breakdown. 

150 if you like newer american restaurants, a more trendy atmosphere, some round tables, some more creative dishes etc.  Chops for more of a classic fine dining experience, classically prepared steak and potatoes, standards.