Suite Guarantee Question

I just upgraded to a Suite Guarantee, I was just in an ocean view, because at the time I booked nothing was available, but today my TA texted me and Suite Guarantee, was available so I grabbed it. I was reading the fine print and it said that I could get an obstructed view, I did not know a Suite category, could have an obstructed view? Has anyone had that happen to them? How bad was the view?

Second part, sorry I ask too many questions, but what are the perks if I end up just getting a Junior Suite?

Thanks Mitch!

Welcome to the board.

Obstruction can mean anything form a beam to a plant. If you are a Karen/Chad, then overlooking the sports deck can be seen as an obstruction.

In regard to perks, I guess it really depends on the ship. Oasis and Quantum class JS still get access to Coastal Kitchen. With the smaller classes it is basically a bigger balcony room. The major perk would be boarding with suites and getting the extra C&A point per night.

2 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Welcome to the board.

Obstruction can mean anything form a beam to a plant. If you are a Karen/Chad, then overlooking the sports deck can be seen as an obstruction.

In regard to perks, I guess it really depends on the ship. Oasis and Quantum class JS still get access to Coastal Kitchen. With the smaller classes it is basically a bigger balcony room. The major perk would be boarding with suites and getting the extra C&A point per night.

Thank you, nah not a Chad or a Karen or a Ken 🙂 I just love being on the ship and getting a great suite deal, I juat never had a GTY  before.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Mike n Ky said:

Do you know whether your suite guarantee is anywhere on the ship? I did a guarantee, but it is an ocean view JS on an Oasis class. Didn't know I could specify that but without it I could have gotten a JS on the Boardwalk or Central Park

It is on the Mariner, so no neighborhoods to worry about, I just never heard of an obstructed suite before.

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Mike n Ky said:

Do you know whether your suite guarantee is anywhere on the ship? I did a guarantee, but it is an ocean view JS on an Oasis class. Didn't know I could specify that but without it I could have gotten a JS on the Boardwalk or Central Park

I was not aware there was a Jr suite with central park balcony view?    Also with a Jr suite on Oasis you have a walk-in closet and on Odyssey you have 2 bathrooms with a nice shower with frosted glass wall and a seat. Jr suites also include Coastal Kitchen at dinner, upon availability.  Coffee/tea maker in your cabin.  Larger cabin.  And early boarding.

2 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

On mariner you could get an aft JS which could possibly have a beam somewhere blocking the view. That's pretty much it and I think the wording is more so a CYA thing then a possibility.

That sounds right I was looking at the deck plans and I see nothing obstructing, but I love aft cabins so that would be fine, just happy to have gotten a GTY so close to sailing.

6 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

On mariner you could get an aft JS which could possibly have a beam somewhere blocking the view. That's pretty much it and I think the wording is more so a CYA thing then a possibility.

And an Aft JS on Mariner would be a score, as the balconies are huge.  They normally sell out fairly quick

27 minutes ago, MLH said:

When is your cruise?  Tip:  If you do not see your room assigned on your app prior to check in.After checking inand get your set sail pass download it into your apple wallet and the last 4 digits are your room number.

Thank you! Well using your suggestion, good news I did not get a junior suite aft which looking at the pics online I really did not want, looks like I am by the elevator forward on deck 10, I dont think this deck was refurbished which is ok,  all in all if this is my cabin I am happy. I do have a question for you, will I be able to use Royal up now, since officially I do not have a cabin number, and can this cabin change before they officially tell me ?

Thanks Mitch!

1 hour ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

I do have a question for you, will I be able to use Royal up now, since officially I do not have a cabin number, and can this cabin change before they officially tell me ?

No, you have to wait to be officially assigned a cabin to change it or Royal Up. You used what is known as the "bar code trick."

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

No, you have to wait to be officially assigned a cabin to change it or Royal Up. You used what is known as the "bar code trick."

Not true, you can RUB without having a cabin assigned. There are a couple of threads where people got their assigned room and the RUB was worse than what they got. As long as you can bid, you can bid. Meaning as long as you have the option.

1 minute ago, Ampurp85 said:

Not true, you can RUB without having a cabin assigned. There are a couple of threads where people got their assigned room and the RUB was worse than what they got. As long as you can bid, you can bid. Meaning as long as you have the option.

I stand corrected and I now realize I already knew that. My bad. We actually made some bids last year we normally wouldn't have b/c we knew from the bar code trick we were getting one of the only locations we really don't care for.

At least I know the not being able to switch to another cabin in the same category part is correct. Definitely can't do that until officially assigned.

34 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I stand corrected and I now realize I already knew that. My bad. We actually made some bids last year we normally wouldn't have b/c we knew from the bar code trick we were getting one of the only locations we really don't care for.

At least I know the not being able to switch to another cabin in the same category part is correct. Definitely can't do that until officially assigned.

I will call them and see I really want a GS or higher but there is nothing available. I am happy with what I have now, I am just going solo so far not sure if my oldest son is coming  with me yet, but happy for now. Thank you

3 hours ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

I will call them and see I really want a GS or higher but there is nothing available. I am happy with what I have now, I am just going solo so far not sure if my oldest son is coming  with me yet, but happy for now. Thank you

The suite guarantee can go either way.  I've done it in the past where I've gotten an amazing suite much larger than a junior suite at the suite guarantee rate but I've also had it several times where all I got was a junior suite.   I certainly hope you end up with a grand or higher it certainly does make a difference when it comes to your vacation.  

1 minute ago, JasonOasis said:

The suite guarantee can go either way.  I've done it in the past where I've gotten an amazing suite much larger than a junior suite at the suite guarantee rate but I've also had it several times where all I got was a junior suite.   I certainly hope you end up with a grand or higher it certainly does make a difference when it comes to your vacation.  

I think it's highly unlikely that you would get anything above a JS between the current sailing capacity rates and Royal Up bids but there are always exceptions.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

I think it's highly unlikely that you would get anything above a JS between the current sailing capacity rates and Royal Up bids but there are always exceptions.

I agree the ship is almost at capacity, I am happy I just got what I believe if the barcode hack worked a  JR Suite, it s fine for one person, and they wont let me bring my weights onboard anyway 🙂

3 minutes ago, MLH said:

You can Royal up to a GS but I would not do a ru for a JS.

Agreed I have heard cant verify that some people will book an inside, then RU to say a Ocean View  and then later upgrade to like a spacious ocean view verandah, and then totally forget they RU, and it goes through and they get "downgraded" to an Ocean View, could this happen?

15 minutes ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

Agreed I have heard cant verify that some people will book an inside, then RU to say a Ocean View  and then later upgrade to like a spacious ocean view verandah, and then totally forget they RU, and it goes through and they get "downgraded" to an Ocean View, could this happen?

Yes, if they put in bids for that type of room. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2023 at 2:59 PM, Mike n Ky said:

I am looking at the deck plans of Oasis and don’t see any JS that are not Oceanview. What ship has Boardwalk and Central Park Jr Suits?

23 minutes ago, Paid4c4 said:

For the benefit of an ignorant old sailor could someone explain the "Bar Code Hack/trick." Please.

Bar Code Trick

Method 1. If you have an Apple device, add your set sail pass to your Apple wallet. Numbers will now appear under your bar code. The numbers after the dash represent your cabin.

Method 2. Scan the bar code with a QR scanner from another device and that should also show you the numbers.

NOTE: If you see "GTY" instead of numbers, you truly haven't been assigned yet. One tip off is that if you don't see a muster station on your set sail pass then you almost definitely don't have an assignment yet.

7 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Bar Code Trick

Method 1. If you have an Apple device, add your set sail pass to your Apple wallet. Numbers will now appear under your bar code. The numbers after the dash represent your cabin.

Method 2. Scan the bar code with a QR scanner from another device and that should also show you the numbers.

NOTE: If you see "GTY" instead of numbers, you truly haven't been assigned yet. One tip off is that if you don't see a muster station on your set sail pass then you almost definitely don't have an assignment yet.

I did consider myself an experienced RCCL cruiser.  However this just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks, thank you for the lesson.

Bill

23 minutes ago, Paid4c4 said:

I did consider myself an experienced RCCL cruiser.  However this just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks, thank you for the lesson.

No problem. I learned it on the forums a while back when I used to book nothing but GTY's so I'm just paying it forward. Your question comes up often enough that I have that explanation saved somewhere so I can just cut and paste it.

Aside from the general anticipation, it let me know how important it would be for me to try to move my cabin once assigned (although I ended up moving almost every time anyway). Even if I was fine with my assignment, which was most of the time, there was usually one I preferred for one reason or another.

On 8/4/2023 at 2:59 PM, Mike n Ky said:

Not sure why I put JS...the guarantee was for an ocean view balcony...and the Next cruise person is who let me know I could specify ocean rather than Boardwalk or Central Park.

On 9/9/2023 at 10:57 AM, OCSC Mike said:

Bar Code Trick

If one does not have an Apple device/wallet, how would one see the bar code for this trick then?