Southern Caribbean Cruise

Fwman

I'm not sure what you mean by not as popular. There is a decent amount of them out there.

Our last three Caribbean sailings have been Southern itineraries. (As winter cruisers from Michigan, we try to guarantee ourselves warm weather!)

Two were 7-Nights out of San Juan. (As mentioned, flights can be pricey). One was an 8-night on Odyssey out of Fort Lauderdale. (Right @SpeedNoodles?!?! 😆)

For cruises out of Florida, there are ships that generally alternate 6-night and 8-night cruises: the 6-night will be an Eastern/Western followed by an 8-Night Southern. This might be why it looks like there are less available, since only half of a particular ship's cruises are Southern.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's also a size limitation on which ships can sail into those ports too. I don't look all the time, but whenever I looked up Southern Caribbean itineraries, I never saw anything above Voyager Class ships sailing there.

EDIT.

After reviewing other posts on this thread after mine, I stand corrected.

No, there is no size limitation... we did the 8-night Odyssey Southern Caribbean last year to Aruba and Curacao. Definitely one of the best itineraries we've sailed. We really want to get back to Aruba & Curacao!

As mentioned, the larger vessels are all at least 8-night sailings all from Bayonne (not ABC Islands) or Florida (all include Aruba & Curacao)... I found many upcoming 8-12 night sailings on the larger ships like Symphony, Harmony, Oasis, and Odyssey...

image.thumb.png.3e4dc3a285d3196a54cac25a6fb72fe0.png

image.thumb.png.4f719e55a8cfb544e59fb4e10eb2d9fe.png

image.thumb.png.acac48d39984ed01bac1eb45ba468634.png

image.thumb.png.f3518db26d78f2238a0ea38c9d2b5988.png

image.thumb.png.6abcf88b5e462fc4d5db158b22959174.png

image.thumb.png.82d3a7d3583b567474da660187287217.png

image.thumb.png.fb9326126dd4c7c71d5823720b9d93f5.png

image.thumb.png.28a511ac7180772fb719956b26a83c33.png

An 8 night southern Caribbean is literally one of the best cruises I've taken from Florida.  It feels a little "long" when you're more accustomed to a 6 or 7 night cruise, plus there are usually some nice breaks from the ports with a sea day or 3 to enjoy yourself onboard.  Agree with the others that recommend Aruba and Curacao - to paraphrase a Backstreet Boy, God must have spent a little more time on those islands.

1 hour ago, JohnK6404 said:

No, there is no size limitation... we did the 8-night Odyssey Southern Caribbean last year to Aruba and Curacao. Definitely one of the best itineraries we've sailed. We really want to get back to Aruba & Curacao!

Maybe there's a size limitation for Bonaire since it's so tiny? I was on Allure to Aruba and Curacao last fall and I loved those islands so much, but was disappointed 😉 that I couldn't say I'd done the ABC's because we didn't go to Bonaire. So I put it on my "cruises to do list" (which is very very long) and will hit all 3 on a smaller ship this time. It also rained half the day we were in Curacao - I kept saying "well, I'll just have to come back then"! Also love Antigua, St Kitt's, St Maarten so so much💙

1 hour ago, Ryan79 said:

I wish $1000!! I’ve got a 2024 cruise out of San Juan booked and I’m looking closer to 1500pp to fly out there from the west coast.

Are you flying out of San Juan for a change in itinerary from the normal routes? What is the benefit of trekking to San Juan instead of just cruising out of the CONUS? 

@tonyfsu21Yeah pretty much. By starting in San Juan, I have a 7 nighter that goes to St Thomas, St Maarten, St croix, St Lucia and Barbados. Only one sea day and don’t have to visit Nassau or PDCC which I’ve been to numerous times. That gets me much farther east in the Caribbean than a 7nighter out of FL. With you being in FL, I would 100% look at those San Juan itineraries to shake things up a little.

IMG_5206.jpeg

@Ryan79 that looks like such a fun & beautiful itinerary.  I'm interested in cruising out of San Juan to get to Martinique, Trinidad, and Tobago. I think Barbados is also mostly reached out of San Juan? I can't fit it into my schedule with a couple of other things I'm looking at, so those islands will have to remain on my Caribbean wish list for now.

3 hours ago, Ryan79 said:

I wish $1000!! I’ve got a 2024 cruise out of San Juan booked and I’m looking closer to 1500pp to fly out there from the west coast.

Guess it is what airport or area your flying out of, typically from Chicago O'Hare it costs about the same to fly to San Juan as it does to Ft Lauderdale or Miami.

At least that has been our experiance, we love going out of San Juan, but hate that they have done away with Freedom and Voyager class ship from there and lately have been sailing Radiance class which we dislike.