Anthem of the seas - engine issue

"Engine issues" is a not a very clear description of the potential problem. The ship has 4 engines. Usually, one is a spare to allow servicing. One engine being down usually does not affect ship operation. Now if the issue is with a gear box or azipod, this could cause speed issues.

"Routine engine maintenance" was cited as the reason for adjusting a number of itineraries as far back as June last year. On our 12-night Canaries cruise in September/October, although we did not skip any ports, our time was cut in several of them, sometimes significantly, such as Madeira and Tenerife, where our full-day stops were effectively reduced to half.

I have two upcoming cruises on Anthem, one next month and one in July, and I would not be at all surprised to get one of those emails any day now where they say they're enhancing the cruise by changing the itinerary. 😒

This was discussed quite a bit last year when Anthem's sister ship, Quantum, had ongoing engine issues that could not be resolved due to supply chain problems.

IIRC, when an engine is taken offline for repairs or scheduled maintenance, the work is performed while the ship is still cruising, essentially reducing the ship's available power by 25%.

On 3/26/2023 at 2:22 AM, Marga said:

I keep reading on several sites that Anthem has an engine issue and is adjusting itineraries until June. 

I had read there were two specific itineraries that are affected - June 2 and June 16.  Let's hope it stays confined to these.

https://www.cruisehive.com/speed-issues-change-multiple-itineraries-for-royal-caribbean-ship/97268

• 2 weeks later...

I just received notice that our January 2024 cruise schedule has been adjusted.

"While we'll lose a little time in some of these stops" -- that'll be 5 hrs, if we're counting.

"We've added an extra two hours in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas"

Bottom line a missed port/extra sea day and 3 fewer hours in the other 4 ports.

This engine problem is going to persists all summer in Europe and two trans-atlantics?

From Royal Caribbean's email:

To maintain a safe and comfortable speed along our journey, we’ll now have a sea day instead of Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. Additionally, we’ve adjusted our arrival and departure times for a few of our ports. While we’ll lose a little time in some of these stops, we’ve added an extra two hours in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas to explore everything this beautiful destination has to offer! We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. Nevertheless, we’re excited to sail away with you! Below, please find our revised Anthem of the Seas January 29th, 2024 itinerary.

4 hours ago, Johneeo said:

We sail April 23.  Hope all is good.

I looked at her schedule as far as it goes and didn't see a dry dock schedule so my impression is it will limp around until then. That's what happened to Allure in 2017.

9 hours ago, 12thman said:

I looked at her schedule as far as it goes and didn't see a dry dock schedule so my impression is it will limp around until then. That's what happened to Allure in 2017.

I believe the dry dock is due either late 2024 or early 2025.

I have read a couple of posts elsewhere suggesting she may be heading for Asia, so if that is going to happen I think you'd be right and they'll do the dry dock at some point after her summer 2024 season in Europe.

Speed limitations tend to create itinerary issues when one port of call is distant enough that the ship requires more speed to reach it.

In Europe, in the Med. at least, often ports of call are close enough so that top speed is never required.  Other european itineraries are similar but occasionally one itinerary is built that does require the ship go faster between two ports.  This can be done if the ports in question are already full of ships so they juggle the ports into a different order on the itinerary but in doing so they add more distance and that additional distance requires more speed.  

Adjusting an itinerary is complex because one change ripples through the itinerary and impacts other ports of call.   Who wants to arrive in a port of call at 2am and depart at 11am?  That's nine hours in port but at awkward times.  The ideal Itineraries are built on the basis of arriving early in the morning and leaving late afternoon or evening.  Speed limitations change everything and can make it challenging to perform an itinerary with decent times in each port of call.  

The ship has multiple engines that generate electrical power.  The propulsion motors consume electricity and make the ship move.  Top speeds are usually achieved by bringing more engines online to generate more electricity so that top speeds are realized.  Sometimes not all engines are available or not enough engines are available to generate the electrical demand required for top speed.  When that happens and the ship has an itinerary that requires top speeds between two or more ports of call then they have to adjust the itinerary. 

Transatlantic crossings don't tend to operate at top speed.  They tend to plan these itineraries to operate the ship at a more fuel efficient 60% to 80% of top speed.  Consequently a ship that has speed limitations often won't impact transatlantic or transpacific crossings.  

Allure had an inoperative azipod in 2019.  Most itineraries were not impacted.  The exception was St. Kitts which is farther away from the US mainland and requires higher speeds to reach but only for the leg of the itinerary visiting St. Kitts.  Consequently it was the port most impacted by Allure's speed restrictions and they dropped St. Kitts most often. 

After that season of dropping St. Kitts when Allure crossed the Atlantic in March 2020 she did so with all the propellor blades removed from one of the azipods to minimize drag.  The propellor blades were strapped to the helipad and we crossed the Atlantic with only two of three azipods moving the ship.  

image.jpeg.abd582272d52d3be8fb218b24bf68909.jpeg

image.jpeg.3a95e871289d10edbfe04c0355c606fa.jpeg

This wasn't unsafe or dangerous.  The two remaining azipods did their jobs and we crossed without incident, other than the pandemic which blew up from not much to full blown out of control during the crossing.  

Other than the pandemic looming over us the transatlantic crossing was a great cruise.  Having one azipod completely unavailable is clearly a major speed limitation but it didn't impact this cruise while select itineraries involving St. Kitts mostly were impacted.

On 4/14/2023 at 4:44 PM, Robert B said:

Got notice that itinerary for our October 15, 2023 Anthem of the Seas trans Atlantic cruise is changed cutting hours off Canary Islands and Bermuda stops. 

I have not received anything regarding these changes and I’m on the Oct 15 sailing.  .  Did you use a TA and they related the change? Use a TA but you heard from Royal directly ? Or Did you book directly with Royal?

I’m trying to figure out how to get this notification 

thank you!

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Oh boy I'm not too confident and I'm a little worried about our February 25th 2024 cruise now. We are only going to 3 ports, Cape Canaveral, Coco Cay and Nassau. 

If they skip/shorten Nassau they'll be doing you a favor. Joking aside, hope it works out OK for you.