hoping to be reunited on harmony... (4.29.23-5.6.23 ~ harmony of the seas)

asquared17

I keep promising myself that next time I will do better, that I don’t need all this stuff.  Never works.  Current list:

mouthwash, toothpaste, floss picks 

liquid cough/expectorant, DayQuil gelcaps, nasal spray, cough drops

Pepto, tums, Dramamine 

ibuprophen, Tylenol, icy hot

benedryl, neosporin, moleskin

glass cleaner, glass repair kit, tide stick

suncreen, aloe

cotton balls, Qtips, bandaids

what do I really not need?

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

I keep promising myself that next time I will do better, that I don’t need all this stuff.  Never works.  Current list:

mouthwash, toothpaste, floss picks 

liquid cough/expectorant, DayQuil gelcaps, nasal spray, cough drops

Pepto, tums, Dramamine 

ibuprophen, Tylenol, icy hot

benedryl, neosporin, moleskin

glass cleaner, glass repair kit, tide stick

suncreen, aloe

cotton balls, Qtips, bandaids

what do I really not need?

You absolutely need all of this! 

6 hours ago, asquared17 said:

i'm debating taking a pair of white jeans on the cruise. i have a cute top or two that i could pair back to them, but will i still be feeling like i want to wear white jeans after a few days of cruise eating...? 😂

Just my opinion - take the jeans and wear them early in the cruise. 😉

I didn’t notice that in October.  We got dropped off by a shuttle service & were through to boarding in less than 15 minutes.  No waiting at all and no lines in the suites area.  Disembarking was less than perfect but only in the pick up area.  Note to self, get off & outta there before the boarding crowd shows up.  I’m shooting for off by 8:30 this time.

my issues stem more from the miami airport being decrepit and carpeted everywhere just being a disaster pants 😂

also i have trauma from the bathrooms in the united terminal 😅 the doors just are misaligned and its like something out of my elementary school horror nightmares.

the miami cruise terminal wasn't the best for disembarkation in the sense that the pickup/dropoff line was WILD but it also was speedy, so i can't complain. when were were doing embarkation last time, we too were in suites, so it was relatively easy. this time around we're not suites priority so hoping it's not too wild.

1 hour ago, She Sails Away said:

I'm headed to Miami in two weeks. Yikes. 😵‍💫

BUCKLE. UP.

this time i will be sure to take pictures in the bathroom (if i can do so discreetly) so i can explain my trauma properly. also the carpet EVERYWHERE.

jesus take the wheel I CAN'T.

i swear rick astley is going to pop out from a pillar and start singing!!!!!

today i decided a fun activity would be to rip apart MY ENTIRE CLOSET.

eight hours later... i emerged with multiple bags to take to the local consignment shop, garments to put up on poshmark, and items to give away to friends/family.

this began, ostensibly, so that i would stop dragging my heels with packing my clothes for next weekend and get my act together. that... did not happen.

HOWEVER.

my closet is now much cleaner!!!

On 4/20/2023 at 7:39 PM, melmar02 said:

take the jeans and wear them early in the cruise. 😉

i think i am planning to do this. i just realized that the jeans will need to be hemmed before i can take them along and i missed the cleaners before the closed today. if they can't get them done in time, no worries... i clearly have other options to bring along 😂

i don't typically bring shorts but i have one pair of printed linen shorts i am thinking of bringing along with a printed set that is very hawaiian/tropical. it is a bit of a bolder/newer look for me, so if i wear these, i will hopefully post them.

the rest of the outfitting (so  far) consists of maxi dresses and one pair of really fabulous (if i do say so myself) wide leg pants and a fitted tank. fun fact! i have brought said pants and tank along on the past two cruises!! and did not wear them!! so clearly if they go in the suitcase this time, i need to wear them out of the gate OR ELSE.

i have two or three dresses that i typically bring with me on a cruise; they are easy and comfortable to throw on and go, and i will likely bring at least one of them.

once i have everything i want to bring, i'll weed it down with the outfit grid so i don't overpack 😅🙃 but let's be real. i will definitely STILL overpack.

tomorrow is really the day i need to crack down and get it done; my week is going to be nuts with work and appts afterward, so it's do or die time.

if you should hear screaming from the eastern seaboard... that's me.

And here is packing central at my house.  I have all of my son’s stuff packed except his good pants/shirt/tie (that goes on top so as to minimize wrinkles), our bathing suits & my cover ups are in, the OTC drug store is ready.  Going to Kohls today to see if I can find a couple of light cropped sweaters for my sleeveless dresses and a pr of nice black strappy sandals.  Oh and that fashion gene I didn’t get?  Looks like my DGD did!

image000000.jpeg

IMG_1674.jpeg

how cute is your granddaughter, @Pooch??? oh man she’s too much 💚💚 i love her striped pants and little sneakers!!! i almost packed my striped rainbow pants!!

and now, i am going to get sappy, so bear with me. 😅

we took a one or two vacations with my grandparents before they passed - i didn’t realize at the time how special it was, but now i am so grateful we had those experiences together.

last time we were in miami, in the suites section of the cruise terminal, there was a cute family next to us on the couches that met up with their grandparents; one of the little boys went, “grandma!!!” and ran into her arms. 

i will tell you with no shame at all that i was emotional. and i’m teary right now, just thinking about it. 💚 

what a wonderful trip you are going to have!!! i’m so happy and excited for you 💚

We are hoping to take all 4 grands on a cruise next year (3 older boys and the princess).  I will need a very large suitcase just for her!  We went to the Cape last year for just a long weekend at the beach and she packed 10 outfits and changed morning, afternoon & evening so she could wear them all.  Such a little diva!

okay the packing has officially commenced in earnest.

i have had multiple people ask if i am packed yet and that just made me want to abandon ship even more 😂

today was supposed to be the packing/clean up day but i got sidetracked doing a return at anthropologie and then sucked into trying on multiple things... i found a few really nice (reasonably priced) numbers that would do double duty for cruise wear and summer stuff, but they didn't have all my sizes in stock -- so i had to order. it will be anyone's guess if it gets here in time.

i have planned about two to three extra outfits this time around. there is only one repeat from an earlier cruise that i like to wear on when we eat italian food (maybe a jamie's reservation!!) but otherwise i am wearing new (to the cruise) outfits.

sad story, i missed the window for the cleaners yesterday and i'm not going to be able to get the jeans hemmed in time for the trip. honestly, it's just as well, i am usually a skirts/dresses for dinner gal.

the outfit grid is basically finalized - i've just printed what should be my last copy (for packing) and may color code it once i've checked everything off.

sadly, i am leaving the neon yellow sequin wide leg pants behind. they are just too heavy for the bag 😂

progress!!!!! 

image.thumb.jpg.1c132d5d740eba4ba797f1144aa17fb7.jpg

the silk cartons will be wrapped into something a lot safer and the wine skin bag is for my cold brew that i haven’t yet taken out of the fridge/transferred into a plastic bottle. 

my secondary bag (that J) takes as her carryon is also packed. i used packing cubes for my clothes. still need to grab a few things in the last/open cube on the right. 

everything beneath the mess on the right is actually neatly arranged but i’m trying to stuff it in so it doesn’t move too much. 

once we get to miami and collect our bags, i will probably divest some stuff from one of the bags to the other. but i’m also considering handing off the secondary bag (it’s a duffle that we normally check at the gate) to the porters so i don’t have to lug it around. 

i’m so relieved it’s all coming together. i knew it would once i knuckled down but it was looking insurmountable for a second there. 

also for anyone getting ~fresh 😅, that’s a curling iron. just saying. 

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Ok I will admit it.  I am bringing clothes that I took on our 2018 cruise (yup got pictures).  If it still fits and looks presentable, I’m still wearing it.  PLEASE DONT MAKE ME SHOP!!!!!!

you definitely do not have to shop!!!

i RARELY need an excuse. 

i, on the other hand, may have purchased a hot pink blazer. 

stay tuned 😂

36 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Well I went to 5 stores today looking for little cropped sweaters to wear with my spaghetti strap dresses.  The dresses are solid so I was looking for a print or a pattern.  Yeah NOTHING!!!  Boring black, white, brown 🤬.  

i am not sure what colors your dresses are but i did find some options with texture/interest -- not sure if any of these will work for you -- no worries if not!!

jcrew factory had some nice options too and they are running 70% off??

that was just a quick spin thru the interwebs... it is a hard time to grab a cardigan with summer coming up.

okay back to packing/cleaning!! 💚

we just booked jamies for night two.

in a moment of  inspiration/panic from my conversation with @Ampurp85 , i texted J to tell her that we should probably book early to save a little money. it didn't save us much than the gratuities but i'm hoping the experience is so good that we will want to go back another night.

TRUFFLE. PASTA. this is all i want.

of course, royal had to make it a real journey -- i had to cancel both our MTD reservations for the night as well as our aqua show reservation. i was more concerned about the aqua show but honestly, we never sit in the theater proper anyway, we're always on the wings below the aqua theater suites, so i'm okay with this.

i have a good feeling about this cruise, fam. i think it's going to be the reuniting on harmony of all our fond memories that we need and a do over after we didn't sleep the first four nights on symphony last time. 💚

I miss Jamie's, I mean it's not the best Italian, but I live by the garlicky prawns and their pasta. I haven't been on a ship that has it on a while........not until I do Mariner in Jan.

Also, your packing really came together. A pink blazer sounds like spicy attire, you might get too many men, women and nonbinary folks trying to holler.

3 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Also, your packing really came together.

in the end, i wound up surprising even myself. although i ran out of packing cubes this time around...

A pink blazer sounds like spicy attire, you might get too many men, women and nonbinary folks trying to holler.

i'll tell you what -- if this blazer fits, it's going to be spectacular. not because of ME -- but because the blazer is that good. it would actually go with a pair of wide legged tropical printed pants that i want to bring along but my suitcase is going to be near to bursting, so i will have to do without.

okay so someone will probably have a field day with this, but...

last night i had a TERRIBLE dream that we got into our cabin, and it was some repurposed lounge that was open to the public.

legit there was a hastily scribbled hanging sign (with one of those magnetic hooks we all use) outside the door that had a cabin number, but when you walked in, there were tables and chairs and conversation setups with booths everywhere. at one point, i laid down on my bed (which was more like a narrow stretcher) and people were sitting next to me, having a conversation. there was barely an airplane aisle between us, they were THAT close. then others were going into our bathroom and using our toiletries -- which i am sure you will now all understand why this could be triggering 🤣

we somehow moved cabins to an empty room - legit it was empty as in there was nothing inside of it - and there were two murphy bed/cots that disappeared completely or detached from the wall to line up, coffin style, for us to sleep in.

thankfully i woke up before things could devolve further.

does anyone else have terrible cruise dreams before they go away????

17 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

last night i had a TERRIBLE dream that we got into our cabin, and it was some repurposed lounge that was open to the public...

does anyone else have terrible cruise dreams before they go away????

I don't usually, but I am a big believer that the feeling you have in the dream is the most important part of it - and that your brain just grabs useful images to play out those feelings. So you have been squishing in packing stuff and going on a cruise, so those are the images your brain grabbed.

But the feeling - maybe being exposed or vulnerable? Like your private space/stuff is now too public and being seen by everyone? Are you sharing more in the blogs lately, more than you usually do? Or somewhere else in your life? 

I don't have weird dreams.  I just stop sleeping for about 2 days prior to the trip.  I am so tight that I can't relax until I walk onto an airplane. Then I just let go of the stress.  Because I know that everything is out of my hands. If I forgot something - oh well.  Time to switch to island time. 

6 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

But the feeling - maybe being exposed or vulnerable?

well there are big changes coming at work but i was thinking this could refer to my fear of forgetting something important for my “ideal” cruise experience while i was packing like a mad woman last night 😂

5 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I always recall the feeling(s). Not so much the details,

J says i’m weird that my dreams are so vivid and i always remember. she sometimes gets the feelings too, but more often, doesn’t remember much. 

4 hours ago, FireFishII said:

I just stop sleeping for about 2 days prior to the trip.  I am so tight that I can't relax until I walk onto an airplane. 

i hear this. 

people always ask if i’m excited to be going on vacation — my standard response is, “i can’t get excited until my bags are in our cabin and i have a drink in my hand and the florida port is disappearing in the distance. then i know that i am truly on vacation and everything is going to be okay.”

… did i mention i’m type A and have control issues??? 😅😂😩🫠

I have weird dreams and they always mean something. I started practicing lucid dreaming as a teen because I would have horrible nightmares. But your feelings always translate in a dream. Like before my cruise I had anxiety, so I didn't sleep for almost 40hrs. As soon as I made it to my cabin, I conked out and dreamed I was at a table full of kissing couples, full on making out at dinner. Which is to say, you had a bad cabin experience and are worried about it........just like I was worried about my future table mates. Just think in 5 days you will be on a ship sipping champagne and serving looks. 

Like before my cruise I had anxiety, so I didn't sleep for almost 40hrs.

this is giving ME anxiety. i never used to have travel anxiety and when we went on symphony in february, it was so bad that i didn’t sleep the day we flew to miami. then i conked out for 11.5 hours 😳 but it still took me a day or two to reset. and of course… we were on team no sleep on deck 11… 

Which is to say, you had a bad cabin experience and are worried about it........just like I was worried about my future table mates.

omg. OMG. THIS IS IT EXACTLY. 

Just think in 5 days you will be on a ship sipping champagne and serving looks. 

oh man i sure hope so 💚💃🏻

also, this made me laugh so hard when i read it. thank you for that 😆🥰💚