DIAMONDS Are a Girl's Best Friend!

CravingaCruise

diamonds-are-a-girls-best-friend..png.a9138f350d0082fabb6279ad066b78a5.png

DIAMOND - Here We Come!

At the end of our last blog where we took a bunch of family on the cruise with us, I shared that hubby and I snuck down to the Next Cruise desk and we booked another cruise as a getaway for just the two of us!  This time, we opted for less frills (sadly, no suite this time), but we're doing a back-to-back-to-back!

When we set up our appointment with Next Cruise, we intended to just book a short 4 night cruise to get us to Diamond level because we were just a couple of points away.  Then we decided to add a second cruise to it so we could experience the diamond perks on the second cruise.  By the time we made it to our appointment, we had figured out that if we added a third cruise it would include Valentine's Day and the Super Bowl.  Had it been a longer walk, who knows what we would have ended up with!

Partners in crime on this cruise: 

• Just the two of us (hubby and I)

Ship:  Navigator of the Seas

Cabin:  Interior with Virtual Balcony – midship - same room for all three cruises

Dates:  January 30 - February 17, 2023

Ports:  

• Cruise 1:  Sailing RT from Los Angeles to Catalina Island & Ensenada
  • Cruises 2 & 3:  Sailing RT from Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, & Puerto Vallarta

Booked Excursions: 

• Catalina:  No excursion, but I'll be on the hunt for a good clam chowder and hoping it's good weather to walk around a bit
  • Cabo:  No excursion, but our best friends go to Cabo all the time and have sent us a long list of things/places to experience
  • Mazatlan:  Mazatlan Highlights Express.  During this tour, we get to watch cliff diving - a bucket list item for hubby!
  • Puerto Vallarta:  Still evaluating - Spent a week there a while back, so we did a bunch, but looking for an adventure (a calm one - we're getting old)
  • LAX:  We decided to try the LA Highlights and Rodeo Drive Tour with Airport Transfer.  Should be a fun way to get back to the airport.

Other Events & Things:

• Super Bowl:  We're crossing our fingers that the Eagles make it!  
  • Valentine's Day:  My favorite holiday, so I'm happy we'll be cruising this day!

Hotel & Flight:  

• We are taking a huge risk and flying to LAX the day of the cruise!!!  We're flying from PDX to LAX, so it's a short flight, and there are a ton of other flights to fall back on, so we feel pretty good about it - unless our airline decides to pull a Southwest on us.  Cross your fingers for us!!

We are the most excited that after the first cruise, we will move to Diamond status! I'm looking forward to the coffee machine and being able to venture into an exclusive lounge!!

Unfortunately, I have to work a bit while on this cruise because after we had booked the trip, my company changed our fiscal year and caused a bunch of initiatives (for which I'm responsible) to be due in February.  Ugh!  But I'm only working when I have to and I'm hoping the internet works for me.

What to expect from this blog:

• One thing I've looked for from other B2B cruises is what happens during the debarkation/embarkation process if you stay in the same cabin. 
  • We'll also share what happens when you stay on the ship for a second cruise and reach the next level with perks after the first cruise.  I read once that you stay on the ship and the Diamond Concierge comes and gives you an orientation (of sorts).  Hoping all this to be the case. 
  • We'll share what the Diamond Lounge is all about and what to expect with those perks
  • If I have any frustration with internet, you'll hear about it.  🤣 Just kidding...maybe
  • If the weather is nice in LA during either of our turnaround days, we plan to hit the water slides since that's usually when there is no line!
  • We're not planning on any dining other than the included options on the ship, and we're total foodies - we'll provide an honest review of the food on the ship and any tips and tricks we learn along our way.  We may stray from this for Valentine's Day - we'll see.
  • We'll post pics of our cruise compasses from all three cruises, and any other goodies they leave us that could help you plan your getaway.

I skipped the different phases ramping up to this cruise in the blogs because I've been so busy with the holidays and work that I haven't thought much about it.  But we're just a week out now and things are heating up!  The packing/staging has begun, and all of our documents are in order.

I hope you enjoy our blog sharing with you our adventure to Diamond status!

Awesome! I love the Mexican Riviera itinerary. In Catalina, may I recommend a stop at Luau Larry's along the boardwalk for a wiki whacker cocktail, including free ridiculous straw hat with purchase?

Sounds like you've got Cabo and Mazatlan covered but in PVR if you're anywhere in the Zona Romantica (south of the central city, across the river with the artist's island - great tchotchke shopping here) you've absolutely got to try Pancho's Takos! Best taco I've ever eaten and the line out the door daily is proof. 

Have so much fun! 

5 hours ago, FireFishII said:

I will be following.  You definitely need to splurge on Valentine Day with a specialty restaurant. Have fun!

Thanks for the follow!  We talked about this last night.  I think Chops Grille will be the venue of choice!

4 hours ago, DDaley said:

Awesome! I love the Mexican Riviera itinerary. In Catalina, may I recommend a stop at Luau Larry's along the boardwalk for a wiki whacker cocktail, including free ridiculous straw hat with purchase?

Sounds like you've got Cabo and Mazatlan covered but in PVR if you're anywhere in the Zona Romantica (south of the central city, across the river with the artist's island - great tchotchke shopping here) you've absolutely got to try Pancho's Takos! Best taco I've ever eaten and the line out the door daily is proof. 

Have so much fun! 

Thank you so much for the recommendations!!  All sound great!  You can't go wrong with recommending cocktails and tacos for us!!

1 hour ago, Va4fam said:

Following along.  My wife and I will be on Navigator for B2B February 10th and 17th.   We are Diamond too.

Our first trip to Cabo and would love to hear some great ideas about what to see and do. 

Hope to see you onboard.

Fun!!  I'm sure by your cruise we'll be camped out in the Diamond Lounge!  We'll post some of the fun things our friends told us about Cabo.  We're doing Cabo during our middle cruise because the Super Bowl is during Cabo on the last cruise - and we're planning on watching our team.  🙂 We should be able to share if they were as good as our friends let on too.  

46 minutes ago, EvergreenCruzers said:

We'll be joining you on the Feb. 03 sailing to Mexico. We are not Diamond (hopefully one day) but look forward to your adventure!

Diamond for us was a "hopefully one day" also.  The cruise comeback with double points paired with the last two cruises in suites (with double points) gave us the boost needed to get there.  It's great to have you following along!  Hoping our fun adventure to share with you is more than "we got a nap today".  😭

Following with excitement and a feeling of deja vu!  Last year, I sailed on a B2B on Navigator -- a 3 Night and then a 4 Night -- and made Diamond after the completion of the 1st half of the B2B.  FWIW, my experience with your ~question~ ("We'll also share what happens when you stay on the ship for a second cruise and reach the next level with perks after the first cruise.  I read once that you stay on the ship and the Diamond Concierge comes and gives you an orientation (of sorts).  Hoping all this to be the case. ") was that I found the Loyalty Ambassador on Day 2 of the first cruise, and notified her of my impending "promotion."  She very kindly liaised with the Diamond Concierge (because she thought she would be getting off the ship on our turnaround day -- as it happened, she didn't), and so the skids were greased for me to receive and enjoy my Diamond status as soon as I reboarded the ship for the second part of the B2B.  I would definitely recommend locating and talking to the Loyalty Ambassador as soon as you can on the first leg.

Bon Voyage!

18 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

Following with excitement and a feeling of deja vu!  Last year, I sailed on a B2B on Navigator -- a 3 Night and then a 4 Night -- and made Diamond after the completion of the 1st half of the B2B.  FWIW, my experience with your ~question~ ("We'll also share what happens when you stay on the ship for a second cruise and reach the next level with perks after the first cruise.  I read once that you stay on the ship and the Diamond Concierge comes and gives you an orientation (of sorts).  Hoping all this to be the case. ") was that I found the Loyalty Ambassador on Day 2 of the first cruise, and notified her of my impending "promotion."  She very kindly liaised with the Diamond Concierge (because she thought she would be getting off the ship on our turnaround day -- as it happened, she didn't), and so the skids were greased for me to receive and enjoy my Diamond status as soon as I reboarded the ship for the second part of the B2B.  I would definitely recommend locating and talking to the Loyalty Ambassador as soon as you can on the first leg.

Bon Voyage!

Thank you so much for the helpful tip!  I will definitely be following your advice!  How perfect that you did this last year on the same ship!  

Question for you - were you required to disembark or were you allowed to stay on the ship during the turnover?  The last thing I want to do is get off into a sea of people and wait in line again  if I don't have to.  🙂 

T Minus 5 days!!  

OMG!  It's Wednesday already!  Where did the time go??  😳

I still have so much left on my to do list before we leave for 18 days!  I'm normally way ahead of things, but this time I'm almost wishing I had a little more time before the cruise - while at the same time wishing I was already on the ship!  😜

I made the mistake of ordering new walking shoes recently, and now I'm in a panic over the fact that both of the two pair I already received were so stiff that as soon as I took one step I lost my socks inside the shoes.  I just ordered three more to try and they say they'll be here on Friday.  🤞🤞  I need a new pair because we plan to be in the gym on this cruise and I've fallen out of love with my current pair.  Now, I'm not promising that will actually happen because I've not worked out on a cruise ship yet, but it's on our list!  We figure 18 days will ensure we'll finally do it. 

Hubby always asks me after I go through my shopping phase before a cruise if I have everything and don't need to do this for the next cruise.  I always tell him yes, but let's face it - a cruise is just another excuse for a shopping spree! 🤣🤣  Considering how many cruises we've been on, you'd think he would stop asking!  On my massive pre-cruise checklist, there is actually a line item that reads "shop for necessary items" - while some of my shopping may include some unnecessary items, it's still part of the cruise planning and I take it very seriously!  🤑

Okay - off I go to return the shoes to the Amazon drop off and run some other errands because we're running out of business days! 

35 minutes ago, CravingaCruise said:

Thank you so much for the helpful tip!  I will definitely be following your advice!  How perfect that you did this last year on the same ship!  

Question for you - were you required to disembark or were you allowed to stay on the ship during the turnover?  The last thing I want to do is get off into a sea of people and wait in line again  if I don't have to.  🙂 

We B2B'ers did disembark, but as a group, through a separate line, to a separate waiting area, and then right back on the ship.  It was painless, and no crowds involved!  I honestly can't remember if I had to have my passport with me, but I don't think so.  

On 1/25/2023 at 2:57 PM, IRMO12HD said:

We B2B'ers did disembark, but as a group, through a separate line, to a separate waiting area, and then right back on the ship.

I was hoping they would let us stay on, but this works too!  I have to do some work while on this cruise and I didn't mark myself out of office on the first turnover day until about 9am. I start super early, so that's over half my day anyway.  I'd better go block off some more time before someone wants me in a meeting.  

On 1/26/2023 at 6:42 AM, FireFishII said:

The only thing that may hold you up from getting back on the ship is if the Coast Guard takes time to complete their inspection.  It is rare but it has happened. But other than that, no line, not much waiting. 

Good to know.  Thanks!

3 More Sleeps!!

I'm officially done with work for the week and my co-workers are all super jealous - just like I like it!  🤣

The staging is almost complete and we've officially taken over the kitchen table and every other surface with all the stuff we're taking!  I know I'm totally an over packer, but I just like to be prepared. 18 days on a cruise or away from the comforts of home is a long time.  I've been caught on vacation without things I needed and I vowed not to spend a fortune on a necessary item I had forgotten at home again. The hospitality industry loves it when guests show up without an essential item - they seem to charge the most for those types of items.  I'd rather spend vacation money on something fun or exciting versus a necessity. Hence, the reason I over pack. 

It's kind of funny that I seem to pack more when we sail in a smaller cabin.  When we sailed in a suite, I still over packed, but I had way more places to unload our stuff and didn't have to worry about how to manage all the little things. Knowing we're going to be in a pretty small space, I feel the need to over-organize.

I just watched Danny's cabin tour from Harr Travel again just to see all of the spaces. I love his videos because he shows everything in the room without making you motion sick watching someone whip around their camera. Although, I've started muting him because I'm kind of over hearing how he always brings along an extra converter to take advantage of the Euro plugs in the room and brings a portable charger so he can charge his phone at the bedside overnight since there is no plug available. 🥺

It's super helpful for me to watch the videos so I can plan out where things will go, which then helps me know how to pack for organizing our stuff. This cruise, I'm bringing a hanging closet organizer for our shoes, an over-the-door shoe organizer for all of the bathroom, sunscreen, and all the little misc items (I've come to really appreciate this one), several drawer organizer collapsible containers (from IKEA), magnet hooks & clips galore to hang anything I can to keep stuff off the table, a magnetic white board week-at-a-glance to keep track of our days, and another white board for leaving notes for our cabin attendant along with the magnetic cup for pens.  I feel like things are coming together.  I'm open to suggestions for maximizing space in a small cabin.  Have any?

Tomorrow is laundry day and packing clothes with any last minute stuff on Sunday!  We're mostly saving Sunday for the next Eagles game - crossing our fingers for one more win!  Hubby got some Eagles magnets to add to our door decor in hopes of that win.  🙂  

Okay - break's over!  Back to the packing! 

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Update on the shoes!

All three of the new walking shoe choices arrived and we have a winner!  I swear it felt like I was qualifying for the Olympics just trying to put the stupid things on!  I haven't tied shoes with laces in years!  I'm keeping the best pair, the others are going back to Amazon, and my butt is going to the gym on this ship!!  😫

"This cruise, I'm bringing a hanging closet organizer for our shoes, an over-the-door shoe organizer for all of the bathroom, sunscreen, and all the little misc items (I've come to really appreciate this one), several drawer organizer collapsible containers (from IKEA), magnet hooks & clips galore to hang anything I can to keep stuff off the table, a magnetic white board week-at-a-glance to keep track of our days, and another white board for leaving notes for our cabin attendant along with the magnetic cup for pens.  I feel like things are coming together.  I'm open to suggestions for maximizing space in a small cabin.  Have any?"

You might want to bring one or two kitchen garbage bags to put in your suitcases.  I assume you're going to keep them under your bed(s), and it's really handy to have the bags in there ready to receive dirty laundry!  When I'm solo-ing, I just put my laundry in a bag in the closet, but putting it in the suitcase saves space and time when it comes to packing up at the end of the cruise. Also, don't forget lanyards to hold your seapass, and a water bottle for your trips to the fitness center!

Here are some pictures of Cabin 1639.  It was sort of midship, on the port side.  As you can see, I chose to have the beds separated because it gave me more room as a solo.  Even with the beds together, the available room isn't bad, although there's only the one "easy" chair and then a desk chair.

Navigator OTS_VB_1639_2.jpg

Navigator_1639.jpg

You are in for the treat of a lifetime!!  Navigator has the BEST PUBLIC WASHROOM at sea.  Deck 11 aft elevators port side.  Do not pay any attention to any "passé" gender based signage ... you will be DIAMOND!!  If I remember correctly, Diamond members can use any public washroom regardless of gender.  Please check this out ahead of time with the Diamond Concierge (as I could be wrong)

😉

Have a blast ...

Curt from Canada

5 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

You might want to bring one or two kitchen garbage bags to put in your suitcases.  I assume you're going to keep them under your bed(s), and it's really handy to have the bags in there ready to receive dirty laundry!  When I'm solo-ing, I just put my laundry in a bag in the closet, but putting it in the suitcase saves space and time when it comes to packing up at the end of the cruise. Also, don't forget lanyards to hold your seapass, and a water bottle for your trips to the fitness center!

Great ideas!  I have a pop up laundry bag to keep our laundry. Hoping there is enough space for it in the closet or behind the chair. Since we’ll be on the ship for so long we’re planning on paying for a couple bags of laundry. I read somewhere that Diamond level gets a discount on a full bag. Lanyards…check. Water bottle…check!  😊

We’re also bringing our travel coffee mugs to go get coffee each morning. I’m excited about the Diamond lounge coffee machine!  I’ll have to suffer the first four days with regular coffee. 😂

5 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

Even with the beds together, the available room isn't bad, although there's only the one "easy" chair and then a desk chair.

Thanks for the picks!  We’ll definitely have the beds together since it’s the two of us , but I really like the space better with them apart. I’m hoping the side I sleep on is the side with the virtual balcony. If my side has the desk I’m gonna be in big trouble. I tend to be somewhat clumsy and run into everything in my path. I can’t even count how many pedicures I’ve ruined over the years running into something!  I’m afraid of getting up in the middle of the night and running into the desk. Who am I kidding?  I’ll run into it even in broad daylight! 🤪

I got some motion sensor night lights for this cruise. Hoping they save me a little. 🤞🤞

I have not been on Mariner, but Adventure, Explorer and Voyager do not have them.  It is the only one at sea I am aware of.  It is not my full time "job" on cruise ships, but I always on the "lookout" for anything like it.  So far it is the only one after 26 cruises.

I think you are correct ... this might be one of those "Use Only When Under Sail" washrooms.

😂

Curt from Canada

2 hours ago, Curt From Canada said:

I have not been on Mariner, but Adventure, Explorer and Voyager do not have them.  It is the only one at sea I am aware of.  It is not my full time "job" on cruise ships, but I always on the "lookout" for anything like it.  So far it is the only one after 26 cruises.

I think you are correct ... this might be one of those "Use Only When Under Sail" washrooms.

😂

Curt from Canada

Explorer does !  I was just in it yesterday.  Deck 11 next to Chops.  

WE'RE GETTING ON THE SHIP TOMORROW PEOPLE!!!

Check in for flight...Check!

Order breakfast for the flight...Check!

Answer health questions for cruise...Check!

Watch safety videos in the RCCL app...Check!

Today is a BIG day!  We'll be doing our final pack and prep for travel during the wee hours of tomorrow morning, AND we'll be watching the Eagles cream the 49ers so we can see them play on Super Bowl Sunday on the ship!  🥳🥳

mingle philadelphia eagles GIF

Calypso music, flip flops, and umbrella drink...we'll see you tomorrow!

1 hour ago, jbrinkm said:

They did it!!!

Yes they did!!!  Now we get to see them play on the ship!  So excited! 🏆💚

Of course that meant one more load of laundry because we wore our jerseys for todays game. No worries. We’re packed and leave in the morning!

Tomorrow is cruise day!!!! 🎉🎉