Bermuda is lifting testing effective Oct 25th.

2 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

This article doesn't say if the $40 travel authorization fee is terminated.  It just says testing for vaccinated travelers is no longer needed.  There have been local Bermudian news stories saying the elimination of that source of revenue was the big obstacle to eliminate testing.  Did Bermuda eliminate testing for vaccinated folks but kept the $40 entrance fee?

51 minutes ago, Toby said:

This article doesn't say if the $40 travel authorization fee is terminated.  It just says testing for vaccinated travelers is no longer needed.  There have been local Bermudian news stories saying the elimination of that source of revenue was the big obstacle to eliminate testing.  Did Bermuda eliminate testing for vaccinated folks but kept the $40 entrance fee?

Yup, still have to pay $40 for the entrance fee.  That's additional $$ coming in for them.  

Wow, just read their unvaxxed policy.....I've no idea where I would get a proof of medical insurance that includes Covid coverage.  Allianz does not cover NY residents for Covid (I'd love to know why)....I am considered fully vax though......my original J&J from 2021 is OK but someone who is unvaxxed jumps through hoops.  Ridiculous.

17 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Wow, just read their unvaxxed policy.....I've no idea where I would get a proof of medical insurance that includes Covid coverage.  Allianz does not cover NY residents for Covid (I'd love to know why)....I am considered fully vax though......my original J&J from 2021 is OK but someone who is unvaxxed jumps through hoops.  Ridiculous.

I just missed it for couple days.  Will be heading to Bermuda on Oct 22.  Starting Oct. 25, no testing required  I don't mind paying the $40, but looking for place to do covid testi 2 days before boarding is getting harder and harder to find place to do testing.

4 hours ago, KevinK said:

I just missed it for couple days.  Will be heading to Bermuda on Oct 22.  Starting Oct. 25, no testing required  I don't mind paying the $40, but looking for place to do covid testi 2 days before boarding is getting harder and harder to find place to do testing.

The emed test is really easy…another cost I know, but it is easy at least

Yesterday Bermuda ended it’s required mask policy in the cruise terminal.

You can call the $40 Bermuda travel Authorization fee a visa or you can call it extortion. I believe that Royal should just add this fee to to the port taxes and fees we are already paying. Then there would not be an issue of turning away passengers at embarkation.

3 hours ago, bobroo said:

Yesterday Bermuda ended it’s required mask policy in the cruise terminal.

You can call the $40 Bermuda travel Authorization fee a visa or you can call it extortion. I believe that Royal should just add this fee to to the port taxes and fees we are already paying. Then there would not be an issue of turning away passengers at embarkation.

This! It's just a port fee now.  It's like any other tax. No matter how temporary they tell you it is, they will find a way to make it permanent. Just be sure to tell that local trying to sell you something that you did have $40 to spend, but the local government decided they needed it more than you.

I’d felt better about the travel authorization if a single person other than the one Royal Caribbean terminal employee cared to look at my receipt for paying the fee. Not one single person in Bermuda did over the past three days.

I think other countries are going to notice the far greater per cruise ship passenger and cruise ship crew member  dollars Bermuda collects and correspondingly raising their fees by “Oh, $40 a person too.”

17 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Any country or port could just add $40 to their port fees at any time and you'd never know the difference since Royal doesn't break out those fees by port.

That is a possibility. RC pays those fees and if a ship was charged extra $$ per person on board per multiple port of calls it would surely be noticed on the taxes and port fees line item on the invoice. 

I'm sailing out of Baltimore on October 29th and arriving in Bermuda on the 31st. I'm fully vaccinated and applied for the travel authorization (still waiting for an email back). So is there no testing required from me? I ask this because Royal Caribbean's website isn't updated for Bermuda travel and I called and they said I still needed to test to go to Bermuda. 

Hoping this is still the case next November when I make my first cruise to Bermuda...hoping the $40 fee is dropped too by then..if not, sucks to have ot pay that but this is a one time cruise to Bermuda and I can cross if off the list.....had a chance to go earlier this year but didn't book it because of all the tests and fees and forms...wasn't worth the worry or stress.

57 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Hoping this is still the case next November when I make my first cruise to Bermuda...hoping the $40 fee is dropped too by then..if not, sucks to have ot pay that but this is a one time cruise to Bermuda and I can cross if off the list.....had a chance to go earlier this year but didn't book it because of all the tests and fees and forms...wasn't worth the worry or stress.

I’ll be going the first week of May on the Norwegian Prima (first time not sailing on Royal) and am hoping that by then the $40. fee is history!  I just looked at the Prima videos and am really skeptical about it.  My husband and I were talked into going on it with our friends.  I am truly a Royal cruiser so this is definitely going to be a challenge for me!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 10:43 AM, BrianB said:

I'm doing a b2b to Bermuda in November. I already paid the 'non-refundable' $40 tax...er...I mean...'fee'. I'm guessing I'm not going to get a nice email saying my fee is being refunded and we look forward to welcoming you to our beautiful islands. Just sayin'.

I’m quoting myself so I can take responsibility for my snide remark…and add a correction.

Bermuda did in fact refund the $40 back to my credit card.

I was wrong. Mea Culpa. 

Love ya Bermuda!🥰