Travel concerns in Europe, Should we purchase the Travel Protection Policy?

Vincent

As we are booked for a RC 7 night Greek Isles cruise in June 22, I'm growing more concerned with the events happening in Ukraine and am wondering if we should consider purchasing the travel protection program? I'm guessing that if flights were to be cancelled to Rome or other areas nearby that cancellation would be inevitable, but what would the actual refund policy be for the cruise (and/or airfare for that matter)? Or would RC still only offer FCC? 

I'd recommend it always traveling overseas.  If anything happens to you medically (trip on a cobblestone in a quaint Greek city and break a leg or something worse), your medical insurance will more than likely not cover it, or the cost to get you medical care (medevac'd if something serious happens out at sea).

2 hours ago, Vincent said:

As we are booked for a RC 7 night Greek Isles cruise in June 22, I'm growing more concerned with the events happening in Ukraine and am wondering if we should consider purchasing the travel protection program? I'm guessing that if flights were to be cancelled to Rome or other areas nearby that cancellation would be inevitable, but what would the actual refund policy be for the cruise (and/or airfare for that matter)? Or would RC still only offer FCC? 

I am a pretty big risk taker, so take this with a grain of salt, but I just don't see this escalating to a point where cruises in Italy are impacted. I don't see it becoming a world war, or even a European-wide war. I hope I am right. I don't see this event being a reason to buy travel protection if you wouldn't have already. I do agree with the above poster about have medical insurance. I travel for a living and have a yearly worldwide medical policy, I wouldn't leave home without it. They've even picked up something as small as an $80 fee (doctor + meds) in Auckland when I had to go to the doctor with conjunctivitis. 

As far as airfare refund policy, that's going to be up to the airline you booked with and the specific terms/conditions of the fare you booked. Any waivers issued would be in addition to those terms and conditions, but I still don't think travel to Italy would be impacted by this...and again, I hope I am right. 

You should always take out insurance for any holiday.

With regards Ukraine situation i asked a similar question a few weeks ago with regards cruises in Baltic that visit St Petersburg, no one can say right now what will happen my own thoughts are that at worst St Petersburg would be removed and replaced with another port. This is not a new war! Russia and Ukraine have been at war for 8 yrs over these disputed territories, but fact is Putin has had nothing to do for 2 yrs and now wants to let off some steam by flexing his muscles like the bully in the school playground trying to steal the other kids sweets! 

14 hours ago, Zacharius said:

I am a pretty big risk taker, so take this with a grain of salt, but I just don't see this escalating to a point where cruises in Italy are impacted. I don't see it becoming a world war, or even a European-wide war. I hope I am right. I don't see this event being a reason to buy travel protection if you wouldn't have already. I do agree with the above poster about have medical insurance. I travel for a living and have a yearly worldwide medical policy, I wouldn't leave home without it. They've even picked up something as small as an $80 fee (doctor + meds) in Auckland when I had to go to the doctor with conjunctivitis. 

As far as airfare refund policy, that's going to be up to the airline you booked with and the specific terms/conditions of the fare you booked. Any waivers issued would be in addition to those terms and conditions, but I still don't think travel to Italy would be impacted by this...and again, I hope I am right. 

You know, we have to consider, quite a few people [if not most] identify with Russia as people in the Ukraine and  there is a large contingency wanting to repatriot since the USSR breakup [from all info I am seeing anyway].  This is not a clear war of bad guys and good guys...but more of strategery and power balancing.  World War? Whoa...not happening. Well, one hopes anyway.  Hard to get uptight for things in Galaxies far far away.

But what about planned cruises in the Baltic?  We have one booked in June!  And St. Petersburg a major port.  Have no idea the outcome on that one, but one might assume St. Petersburg will be dropped [as well as nearby countries like Estonia maybe]?  Or the whole cruise canceled?  Yea Putin, like the world needs something other this Pandemic to worry about.  NOT! 

Travel insurance, especially when traveling overseas and with Covid, is always a good idea. I would not use Royal’s insurance however. You can go to www.insuremytrip.com and compare different companies. 

We have an annual policy with Allianz and the total was considerably less than Royal and offered a whole lot more coverage. Allianz also offers a Covid rider as well. 

1 hour ago, LinRon2 said:

But what about planned cruises in the Baltic?  We have one booked in June!  And St. Petersburg a major port.  Have no idea the outcome on that one, but one might assume St. Petersburg will be dropped [as well as nearby countries like Estonia maybe]?  Or the whole cruise canceled?  Yea Putin, like the world needs something other this Pandemic to worry about.  NOT! 

I mean, a Baltic cruise stopping in St. Petersburg is a little different than a Med cruise leaving out of Rome and going to Greece in this case, in my opinion. I would certainly have concerns about a cruise scheduled to stop in Russia long before a cruise that sticks to Greece and Italy. I am only addressing this thread which had nothing to do with Baltic/Russia cruises.

2 hours ago, Jill said:

Travel insurance, especially when traveling overseas and with Covid, is always a good idea. I would not use Royal’s insurance however. You can go to www.insuremytrip.com and compare different companies. 

We have an annual policy with Allianz and the total was considerably less than Royal and offered a whole lot more coverage. Allianz also offers a Covid rider as well. 

Thank you for the info; didn't realize there are other permissible options. 

18 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'd recommend it always traveling overseas.  If anything happens to you medically (trip on a cobblestone in a quaint Greek city and break a leg or something worse), your medical insurance will more than likely not cover it, or the cost to get you medical care (medevac'd if something serious happens out at sea).

Agree from that perspective! We already have a frequent stumbler within our cast, and would prefer to keep our vacation videos off of Americas Funniest Home Videos or Ridiculousness shows 😱

13 minutes ago, Vincent said:

Thank you for the info; didn't realize there are other permissible options. 

There are a lot of options out there. You can buy a trip insurance policy that covers you from the second you step out your front door until you return.  Often what you are purchasing through the cruise line only covers the cruise portion.

Never, never leave on a cruise without the travel insurance. But Royal's insurance does not give as much coverage as the third party vendors. Have only had to use it once and paid for itself many times over. Have also seen others have their trip cut short due to illness or injury and we do not travel without it. Were advised not only by folks on this blog but passengers we have met on other cruise lines that strongly advised us to get the protection early on. All it takes is once. We have an annual policy and the cost is less than 2 single cruises worth for the same coverage.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

With a busy travel year in 2022, I bought my first annual trip insurance plan. For 3 of us, the mid-tier option was $485.  That alone is cheaper than I've paid before for RC's coverage for 1 cruise.

Dangit!  I was going to buy an annual insurance policy before my next trip in May - totally forgot about it and bought an individual one. 

I need a personal secretary.  Or stock in Ginko Biloba.

2 hours ago, Zacharius said:

I mean, a Baltic cruise stopping in St. Petersburg is a little different than a Med cruise leaving out of Rome and going to Greece in this case, in my opinion. I would certainly have concerns about a cruise scheduled to stop in Russia long before a cruise that sticks to Greece and Italy. I am only addressing this thread which had nothing to do with Baltic/Russia cruises.

Og poster mentions concerns with situation in Ukraine which is why it has been mentioned 

4 hours ago, LinRon2 said:

Im booked for May and im hoping they wont change ports. However due to the west threating sanctions chances are St Petersburg will be removed. Hopefully this wont last long, sanctions by the west means very little when Putin controls the on/off switch for most of the gas used in Europe. we can make it harder for them to do a bank transfer but they can basically shut Europe down by flicking a switch so im leaning more to Putin getting control of the 2 disputed areas he wants. 

10 hours ago, Ray said:

You should always take out insurance for any holiday.

With regards Ukraine situation i asked a similar question a few weeks ago with regards cruises in Baltic that visit St Petersburg, no one can say right now what will happen my own thoughts are that at worst St Petersburg would be removed and replaced with another port. This is not a new war! Russia and Ukraine have been at war for 8 yrs over these disputed territories, but fact is Putin has had nothing to do for 2 yrs and now wants to let off some steam by flexing his muscles like the bully in the school playground trying to steal the other kids sweets! 

I never heard of a bully using tanks and invading a country and killing people for sweets. Until you have been on the front lines and been shot at I suggest you keep your flippant comments to yourself.

1 hour ago, Jolly Ogre said:

I never heard of a bully using tanks and invading a country and killing people for sweets. Until you have been on the front lines and been shot at I suggest you keep your flippant comments to yourself.

You need to read my words again! Bullies come in all shapes and sizes from those at school to those in power! A bully is just that a bully who uses power over those weaker to get what they want...In fact your reply to me could be seen as a form of bullying...well it would be if i actually cared 

Ukraine is a serious concern and I think you should proceed with caution. 

Definitely get travel insurance from someone.  I use Allianz, but I've never had a claim do I don't know how good they really are. 

I'd also book my air through Royal's Air2sea program. If something happens, they are a great help. Further,  if things do spiral out of control, royal will probably cancel your cruise and the airfare would be refunded