Royal Caribbean Blog

Recommended Canadian Travel agent

I have zero experience in book a cruise in a foreign currency, so just curious and wondering aloud …

Do US agents offer the exact same promotions/ rates (or almost exact) as Canadian agents, and the difference is just in the exchange rate (and associated fees)? If they do, then it seems like it would be better to book in $CAN as opposed to $USD.

But if the offerings vary, I would imagine it’s entirely possible that the US agency could offer rates that are still cheaper even after accounting for the exchange rate and fees... in which case it seems like it would make sense to book in $USD.

Or am I missing something?

@KJones great point that you brought up that I didn’t even think to mention. From past experience, I have found 100% of the time that US based agents offer better deals and incentives than Canadian based agents, and that includes Costco Canada. 😉

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@KJones great point that you brought up that I didn’t even think to mention. From past experience, I have found 100% of the time that US based agents offer better deals and incentives than Canadian based agents, and that includes Costco Canada. 😉

In my city the agents and businesses in general or even food providers from Asia generally provide lower costs on everything from travel to plumbing to construction and everything in between for much better competitive rates. As K Wong was mentioning, the key is one has to speak Mandarin or Cantonese to access such things but its no secret that food, services and travel are cheaper through such businesses. Just like in the US, Chinatown bus lines offer way cheaper fares than Greyhound.

43 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

In my city the agents and businesses in general or even food providers from Asia generally provide lower costs on everything from travel to plumbing to construction and everything in between for much better competitive rates. As K Wong was mentioning, the key is one has to speak Mandarin or Cantonese to access such things but its no secret that food, services and travel are cheaper through such businesses. Just like in the US, Chinatown bus lines offer way cheaper fares than Greyhound.

Again...you do you. What applies to you is not one size fits all.  In the same way, what doesn't work for you, does not mean that it could not work for someone else. 

ok..  SO If plan on working with MEI travel for RCL cruising trips for my family, then maybe it's worth getting an RBC Gold USD Visa.  use that CC for all of my future RCL trips.

This way I can get better incentives offered in the US? We'll just need to deal with the currency exchange when paying it off

1 minute ago, Rene Desmarais said:

ok..  SO If plan on working with MEI travel for RCL cruising trips for my family, then maybe it's worth getting an RBC Gold USD Visa.  use that CC for all of my future RCL trips.

This way I can get better incentives offered in the US? We'll just need to deal with the currency exchange when paying it off

^^^^^^^YES!^^^^^^^ You will be glad you did! Nailed it!

2 minutes ago, Rene Desmarais said:

Ask RBC about how to pay an RBC Gold USD Visa. That is still a US based entity. As a result, you won't be able to pay it from your online banking (which is Canada based). You would have to send them a USD cheque or pay in branch. Unless RBC has suddenly been able to add 'US bills' to it's payee list...

1 hour ago, Rene Desmarais said:

We started with the RBC Gold USD Visa, but switched over to the RBC Signature Visa over the last 18 months or so.  No real complaints about either one.  I forget what the reason was for switching.  I can ask Hubby later if you are interested...

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We started with the RBC Gold USD Visa, but switched over to the RBC Signature Visa over the last 18 months or so.  No real complaints about either one.  I forget what the reason was for switching.  I can ask Hubby later if you are interested...

4 hours ago, Rene Desmarais said:

We have the RBC rewards US dollar credit card through RBC Bank.  No annual fee and it  meets our US travel needs.  Another option is to auto transfer your points from the US credit card to your Canadian Avion or qualifying RBC Visa....they are discounted by 50% but it’s still a good option for people that may not collect a lot of rewards points on their US credit card. 

1BCBC985-2002-4EE9-A597-6301FE8C8D81.png

4 hours ago, Gears said:

Ask RBC about how to pay an RBC Gold USD Visa. That is still a US based entity. As a result, you won't be able to pay it from your online banking (which is Canada based). You would have to send them a USD cheque or pay in branch. Unless RBC has suddenly been able to add 'US bills' to it's payee list...

I have a US $ bank account and credit card set up with RBC bank. When you set up online banking for RBC Bank in the US, you can access your Canadian online banking with RBC.  It is simple to transfer US funds from your Canadian account to your US one with RBC Bank. No need to mail a cheque or go into a branch. 

15 hours ago, Jax said:

I have a US $ bank account and credit card set up with RBC bank. When you set up online banking for RBC Bank in the US, you can access your Canadian online banking with RBC.  It is simple to transfer US funds from your Canadian account to your US one with RBC Bank. No need to mail a cheque or go into a branch. 

Correct, that's RBC Bank. 

The RBC Gold USD Visa is offered by RBC Royal Bank (Canada) and is not connected to RBC Bank (USA).

21 hours ago, Rene Desmarais said:

please?

Hubby said that we switched over from the Gold to the Signature Rewards card because the Signature card covers a bit more for travel insurance and also a second card was free. With the Gold card, we had to pay an extra fee for my card. I cannot remember if the annual fee was lower as well, but that is easily accessible on the RBC site. We currently still have both the Gold and Signature but we predominantly use the Signature card for all things cruising and vacations.

We have Scotiabank Ultimate package that waives the AF for our no Foreign FX fee Scotiabank Passport  Visa Infinite card.   

What works for me may not fit well with your personal situation.  It is worth looking around banks and credit unions to see what they have to offer so it fits your needs.  Others have recommended RBC.  I have friends and family who have the RBC US acocunt/RBC Visa Signature Black and are happy with it.

If you are a casual traveler and just looking for a no Foreign FX card w/ no AF, Home Trust Preferred Visa is an option for the occasional trip outside of Canada and online purchases.