What is the worst thing you've eaten on a Royal cruise

On 10/3/2020 at 11:12 AM, cruisellama said:

I think it was a form of fondant

Oh...oh god. 

On 10/3/2020 at 6:07 PM, 4ensic said:

I thought these looked interesting enough to get a camera before the crowd finished the tray off.  Word must have passed quickly, 15 minutes later only a few were taken.

OlivesOfShame.jpg

Yes, yes, I too prefer my olives be moldy. 

3 hours ago, Zacharius said:

Oh...oh god. 

Yes, yes, I too prefer my olives be moldy. 

It seemed like there was a parmesan and olive oil crust.  Or at least I wanted to believe that.  The good news was that they were served in the Diamond lounge during the alcohol buffet, so people could just as easily blame the sickness on the olives as on the drinks.

The first night in the lounge I wore a Barong Tagalog (Filipino formalware shirt) and was served by a Filipino bartender.  I ordered a Jack and Coke.  My legs didn't work well after the drink.  The next night I saw him pour me a triple without telling me.  I would have probably eaten the whole tray of olives that first night.  On the bright side I was able to hand hold 1/20 second still shots with a telephoto lens at the stage show later that night.

• 2 weeks later...

The Maryland style crab cake on Mariner was the worst for my husband and me. Full disclosure: my husband is from Maryland so he knows his way around good seafood (and I learned from him ?). I read in a number of blog posts that the crab cakes were good so we were excited to try them. The crab cakes in the MDR should have been called breader cakes because there was hardly any crab in it, so we were disappointed. Luckily, we had the UDP and saw that Chops also had crab cakes on the menu so we decided to give it another shot. The crab cakes in Chops has less breader but it was pretty flavorless. At that point, we gave up on getting anymore crab cakes on the ship but all of the other food we had on Mariner was great! I’d definitely get the UDP again. 

Edited by S.Marie
Typo

On 8/18/2020 at 5:56 PM, Tira04 said:

Chocolate molten cake arrived over baked and dry. 

I'm picky with what I order (don't eat meat or spicey things), but in general, I am not picky with quality (guess my standards aren't that high).  But I agree with this comment.  Chocolate molten lava cake should be warm and moist on the outside and then gooey thick "lava" in the inside...all a rich chocolate.  Chocolate molten lava cake is one of my favorite desserts...but I will say that the few times I've tried it, I agree.  It's dry and the inside isn't very liquidly.

Chops on the other hand does it perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 3:57 PM, Rose City Cruiser said:

Asian Pork Tacos.  When I ordered it, I was hoping for something at least similar to "Moo Shu Pork" with the thin pancakes.  

When I saw this on the menu I figured that it would be bao, and it was. But calling it a fusion taco sounds better. I was appropriately whelmed by it. 

I'm not a fan of the creme brulee on any Royal ship. I like it with berries, a little acidity to cut the sweet custard, and they serve it with a little cookie. It's usually my favorite dessert. 

We had something in the suite lounge on Liberty that had way too much turmeric  - somosas maybe. We skipped them when we saw them on Enchantment. They must have received an extra pallet of onions on our Enchantment cruise in February. I remember a lot more raw onions in some of the dishes that sailing.  

In general we have enjoyed most dishes at the MDR, but there are also always some items that are repulsive. I am also pretty snobby about buffet food, I swear my last cruise the cooks had some sort of cruel affinity for cooking everything on the menu in fish oil.

Room service tried to kill me on Rhapsody with a quesadilla that had been on the tray for the better part of an hour. When I lifted the cloche, the sour cream had separated, the guacamole had a brown film on the top, and the salsa had a thick dark red skin that had formed. It was clear that the cloche had trapped the heat and it sat under a heat lamp for a while before delivery. Needless to say, I didn't eat it. 

Almost forgot, our group asked if there was anything Filipino on the menu (including crew menu).  So every night we had great dishes like I get in Southern Leyte.  Then one night the waiter (also Filipino) brings boiled tripe.  I live in the Visayas (The area roughly between Luzon and Mindinao) and never saw tripe anywhere - in the wet markets, cooked by friends or even served in restaurants).

We tried to cut it, but a regular knife wouldn't quite do the job without a lot of sawing.  It wasn't really tough like gristle, but more like gelatin-coated Aramid fibres.  We eat Dinuguan (soup made with pork blood and entrails), but this was a bit much.  The waiter said that a lot of the crew was from Luzon and the tripe was on the menu in the Crew Mess.  

So we literally asked for it, but this was one thing I just couldn't eat.  Not Royal's fault.