twangster

The Magic of Majesty. August 2019 and then again in October

The pre-dawn arrival into Port Everglades isn't nearly as interesting as arriving into the Port of Miami.  I thought I spotted another ship in the distance.

gmBAd3x.jpg

It was the Celebrity Equinox arriving just before us.

oAo0tjg.jpg

A final sunrise was in the making as I headed down to gather my stuff, vacate my cabin and prepare to join the self-assist line.

167PQfJ.jpg

Our scheduled start of self-assist was posted to be 7:30am.

I joined the line around 50 people back at 6:45am.  It is routed into the MDR on deck 4 to keep it orderly.

3wi7L4Q.jpg

At 7:12am we started moving.  

Through the terminal to CBP where they were making queues for the normal post cruise CBP check.  Some people were already doing the thing with an CBP officer.  As I was getting closer they just opened the lane in the middle and told everyone to walk out.  I guess because we cleared immigration in Key West they decided to go easy on us.  

Out to the waiting taxis where a lady following after me just threw her luggage into trunk of my cab without asking where I was going.  Hmmm.  So I confirmed she was heading to FLL airport.  Why not split a cab?  

Dropped off curbside at airport terminal at 7:28am.  

I had a 4:45pm flight booked because it was the cheapest flight of the day when I booked it.  Being A-List on Southwest I can standby for free so my strategy is to often book a later flight then take my chances at the airport.  I lucked out, seats were available on the 8:45am direct flight.  Through security and at the gate by 7:40am.

Soon after boarding in my window seat I looked out and saw my bag going into the belly of plane.  Twenty five minutes later my luck continued when the door of the plane closed with the only empty middle seat on the whole plane being right beside me.  Phew.  

When I was onboard in 2015 it seemed like the VCL was very underutilized. The only thing I remember going on up there was the diamond happy hour. Do you recall any other events going on up there?

I wonder if its donut shape makes it hard to program for. This was the last class to have a wrap around VCL, there must have been a reason.  

A note about Voom.

Majesty uses the new satellite technology that the newer ships use.  Consequently it works very well.

Typical results for Surf and Stream:

7FzZrc6.jpg

I asked a Voom person on board and he reported that Majesty has 120Mbps down and 100Mbps up for total bandwidth.  This is shared but individual Voom accounts are rate limited to what you see above so that no one guest can hog all the bandwidth. 

The cap also forces streaming application to work within 4Mbps of throughput otherwise a user streaming something like Netflix could go way over that consuming even more expensive usage while 4Mbps offers very reasonable streaming results. 

39 minutes ago, StayFrosty said:

When I was onboard in 2015 it seemed like the VCL was very underutilized. The only thing I remember going on up there was the diamond happy hour. Do you recall any other events going on up there?

I wonder if its donut shape makes it hard to program for. This was the last class to have a wrap around VCL, there must have been a reason.  

I think it is just an observation area for guests.  I imagine as ships evolved over time the ship architects were able to determine ways to increase the space and orientation.  The early ones where cutting edge design back in the day but ship architects didn't have a lot of history or experience to work with adding a VCL.  

Just like ships themselves have grown and become more complex so have the VCLs over time.  

Cruise Summary

My biggest complaint is the 5 night duration.  Even though I came off another ship before hand it's a lot of unpacking and you just get into cruise mode when it's over.  I feel like I didn't have enough time to really experience the ship properly.   I have a B2B booked in the fall so hopefully that will solve this problem.

Majesty definitely feels like a bigger ship than Empress (the ship I was on before this) but it is a bigger ship so it had better feel bigger.

Majesty is dated in places such as decor and the outdoor carpets on the upper decks.  You can tell some new carpeting has been installed in places but in certain areas or staircases the carpet is older.

Crew was fantastic and I only experienced great service.  

It was great to visit CocoCay again and I look forward to my next cruise when I have the water park and zipline booked.  

O3b Voom was great and I really wish Royal would upgrade more ships to O3b.  

This was a relatively inexpensive cruise and there is great value at the price point I paid.  Majesty has a lot to offer and I'm looking forward to going back to spend more time on her. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Out to the waiting taxis where a lady following after me just threw her luggage into trunk of my cab without asking where I was going.  Hmmm.  So I confirmed she was heading to FLL airport. 

SMH...

Thanks for another great live blog!  Safe travels home @twangster!

i can say actually meeting the "celebrity" behind the camera on majesty was such a honor on this sailing.  another great live blog with some awesome pictures too.  overall experience can say was good and even if sailing a "baby" ship, she may not have all those bells and whistles but the service received from crew is well worth it.  crew is extremely passionate and truly takes time to bond with passengers.  friendly greetings by crew around ship and being in bars having those bartenders remember passengers by name and drink of choice is uplifting when think how many passengers sailing to sailing.  each ship has its own identity and for value to go to CocoCay in my books is a win win when i could in turn be at home not on a cruise ship at all having those cruise dry dock blues.............. safe travels and cant wait to the next live blog. 

October 9, 2019.

Back from the wasteland of being land locked, I'm writing this from Majesty's VCL.

Rather than creating a whole new thread I'll just revive this one.

IT'S CRUISE DAY!!!

This booking started as a Cuba booking departing on Oct. 14.  As it turns out that wasn't going to be so to drown my sorrows I added the Oct. 9 cruise.  Very recently (last week) the Oct. 19 sailing was very inexpensive.  I looked at Southwest and could change my return flight for a $2 credit.  So... YOLO, this has become a B3B.   When you can book a Royal Caribbean cruise at these rates it's hard to say no.

5 nights to Mexico, 5 nights to the Bahamas and 4 nights to the Bahamas.

Cozumel, Costa Maya.  Key West, Nassau.  Key West, Nassau.  

I've managed to book the same cabin for the first two legs but change cabins for the 3rd.

We embarked at terminal 19 in Port Everglades today.  Arriving to the terminal at 10:21am I was on board at 11:01am after a short wait in the terminal.

I'm going to be lazy from this point forward, only posting when it's blog worthy.  

Cabins are almost ready, time to go...

19 minutes ago, twangster said:

So... YOLO, this has become a B3B.   When you can book a Royal Caribbean cruise at these rates it's hard to say no.

5 nights to Mexico, 5 nights to the Bahamas and 4 nights to the Bahamas.

Cozumel, Costa Maya.  Key West, Nassau.  Key West, Nassau.  

I want your cruise life!....I can only hope to one day be able to enjoy it as often as you do!

Spacious Ocean View Cabin.  

On deck 9 are a series of ocean view cabins that are larger than the standard OV cabins found on lower decks.  The TV's are larger (and newer) as well.  The sofa and chair appear to be newer compared to the OV cabin I had lst time.  

4GisNOM.jpg

K1ASZgw.jpg

FSbz76K.jpg

t3ULdUX.jpg

DN88x6Y.jpg

AyuPlHC.jpg

ynEV6GD.jpg

All cabins on this deck are considered obstructed but they are high enough from the waterline and covered by the overhang so these windows don't tend to get as dirty as the windows at lower levels do.  

uylR7y0.jpg

This area in general has crew walkways used when lifeboats are lowered and for other purposes.  The walkway at the forward most cabins are closer to eye level, the walkway aft is two steps down, enough that most crew can't look into your cabin at eye level.   

eqLQXln.jpg

I like the cabin, it does feel much more spacious.  

On 8/20/2019 at 7:15 PM, KathyC said:

Once we sail Empress next summer, we will have done the same.  Majesty was our first ship - sailed her in 1992, when she was brandy-new! 

Edited to add, now that I think about it, once we sail on Empress, we will have sailed every class of ship RCCL has ever had!  We also sailed Song of America back in 1997.  

We sailed her in 1996, our very first cruise, which was our honeymoon and we have been hooked on cruising ever sense. Our kids, especially our son who's 14 looks forward to each and every cruise.

Time to play catch up.

Day 3 had us in Cozumel with just a couple of other ships.  Sunrise arrival.

CAaXvCE.jpg

They were exercising the lifeboats today.  It was a work day for me so I stayed on the ship.

m9zuaE4.jpg

One of the other ships in port today was one of those small specialty ships that do adventure cruises like Antarctica.  The Fram:

Jv9IHcS.jpg

Definitely an adverse weather ship.  I'd love to try one of these some day.

iCM5Yte.jpg

You know it's a small ship when Majesty looks huge beside it.  From MarineTraffic.com (Majesty on the left):

aiBfNYg.jpg

The walkway in front of these cabins are well below the window level, except when crew are on top of the lifeboats securing them after the test runs today.

73z2ZZb.jpg

El Gaucho! in the theater tonight.  He was very entertaining, great show. 

Day 4 in Costa Maya.

We took the $4 shuttle to Mahahual and Crazy Lobster.

0NLcW6o.jpg

$2 bucket of beers.

NdtgJE5.jpg

Some rain came through but we missed the worst of it.  Only ship in port today.

CCbMFzO.jpg

Vibrant rainbow after leaving Costa Maya.

dDQzM14.jpg

The Magic of Puck in the theater tonight.  He's pretty good.