Sign in to follow this  
O2matt

Allure Propulsion Issues

No issues with noise or vibration, etc...

We’re on Allure sitting on our CP balcony right now... we often forget that we’re on a ship... nice soft, cool breeze coming through Central Park right now. 

Only evidence of the mechanical azipod issue is noticeable when looking at the wake... starboard side (left when looking at the wake)...

Just an update and FYI... last night (SAT, 5/26) when we got back to our cabin to finish packing 😩 we were cruising at 22.9 knots as we approached the keys and Miami. We were consistently over 22 knots for some time and then we almost came to a complete stop as we got closer to Miami and Ft. Lauderdale (last time I checked we were below 5 knots). I’m assuming they were slowing down for the evening for passenger comfort since we were so close to port. So she can still move when needed!

Likely due to the speed of the ship and the seas at that time, there was some felt rocking/movement of the ship, but I truly don’t believe it had anything to do with the compromised azipod.

Overall, it was by far the most comfortable cruise I’ve been on from a ship motion perspective (our first time on an Oasis class ship). All of us kept saying throughout the cruise that we can’t believe we’re at sea... only when you look at the water do you realize you’re moving. I know some folks are concerned about how their upcoming cruise would be affected by this issue. The only vibration I ever felt was when I was standing directly behind the AquaTheater looking toward the Boardwalk and the carousel... I’m going to assume that’s normal due to the location. The vibration stopped when we move a few yards away in either direction.

DEBEC265-F82B-4BD5-96A0-D1803E4F8B0D.thumb.jpeg.36ea14b54c64652461041a727f83cf9a.jpeg

On Allure at the same as JohnK6404. We stopped outside Miami around 10:30 pm for an ambulance boat to off-load a passenger. We pretty much sailed at that speed since leaving Cozumel and didn't notice anything different with propulsion noise or issues.

Just got off Allure of the Seas on Sunday.  Didn't notice any issues from the propulsion issue.  We made an unscheduled stop in Grand  Cayman for a medical emergency it did not effect our arrival time in Cozumel at all.

We left the ship yesterday (6/23) and this issue was a problem. We left  Puerto Rico at 1 instead of the scheduled time when we booked the cruise which was 3. The reason for the change given by RC was the engines unable to travel faster. We left at 1 and at 3:30 there was a medical emergency and we had to return to Puerto Rico. I am glad that concern was shown to this passenger and do not question the decision to return. The problem came when, because of the propulsion, we were told we would not be stopping at Labadee due to not being able to make up the lost distance and time. The first issue is if the ship could travel at 100% performance and we had left at 3 we would have been only 30 minutes away from the port so at worse maybe we would have lost 2 hours and still would have been able to make the stop. So even thou RC is blaming the medical decision the propulsion problem real was the issue.

Also RC does not have a policy to refund or provide any credits to customers effected by the lost port. They took 100% of our payment but provided less than 100% of what they advertised. So do not think this propulsion issue is not a problem because it can be.

To close this not the propulsion issue will not be addressed until 2020 or 21 be warned. The Captain and crew of the ship was great but Royal caribbean’s Customer service is terrible, none existent. I am glad there are other cruise lines.

On 5/12/2019 at 9:34 PM, OrlandoDad said:

...regarding this issue with the Allure propulsion system...

The itinerary change does not bother us much at all, as we booked after the changes were made.  I'm not concerned about safety, as I can't imagine any cruise line compromising that in any way. Seems the ship can do what it needs to do (dock, run at increased speeds if it has to avoid a storm, etc).

However, I recall reading (maybe here, maybe somewhere else) that this issue does preclude them from using the stabilizers (due to increased drag).  Maybe that was reported by someone on an earlier issue with an Azipod....I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any information or recent onboard experience that suggests they are not deploying the stabilizers because of this issue?  Would RCL know the answer to that if I called and asked?  If they did know, would they tell me?  Just want to know how much Dramamine to pack! 😀

We are just off the Allure yesterday.  I can confirm the the compromised starboard Azipod issue DOES NOT preclude the use of the ships stabilizers, as I feared it would due to the increased drag they cause.  Not sure where I read that but was concerned enough to ask about it here.

The first half of the trip, it was obvious that the stabilizers were deployed.  Hard to explain, but in windy/moderate seas, the rolling motion of the ship is mitigated to what feel like 'bumps' as the gyroscopically controlled stabilizers constantly correct the ship along it's longitudinal axis.

A tour of the bridge gave me a chance to ask a few questions of the Second Officer.  He confirmed that it is a bearing issue and that the Azipod could, if needed, be run at normal or full speed, but the vibrations would be felt throughout the ship. It is a passenger comfort issue.

Currently, they are running the starboard Azipod at a reduced RPM to lessen the drag that would be produced by such an enormous propeller being stationary on one side of the ship.  

I have some pictures but not sure how to post them. 

Anyway, I just thought I would report back so others like me that read that the stabilizers could not be used could rest easy.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:53 PM, signtec said:

I sail on Aug 3rd and they changed our itinerary we can not go to St. Thomas and now have to port in San Juan which I am not happy about the whole point of this trip was

St. Thomas.  I will not sail with Royal Caribbean ever again!

Think you meant Aug 4th, the Allure does not depart Ft. Lauderdale on Aug 3rd.   I am on that same Cruise....

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:21 PM, orch said:

Just got off Allure of the Seas on Sunday.  Didn't notice any issues from the propulsion issue.  We made an unscheduled stop in Grand  Cayman for a medical emergency it did not effect our arrival time in Cozumel at all.

We were on the same sailing and the only time I felt the vibration was in the evening after we left Labadee around sunset. We were on the boardwalk while my daughter was riding the merry go round. I walked back to Sabor bar to grab a drink and standing directly beside it the vibration was pretty noticeable. The bottles behind the bar were shaking pretty hard and clinking together. Walking forward only a few feet in front of Johnny Rockets the feeling disappeared almost completely. I felt the same feeling when we were pulling up to Grand Cayman. We were in the pool and the water started sloshing fore and aft so I walked up to the Solarium to get a better view of the island. The glass panels would shake from time to time as we were slowing down and it almost felt like they were pulsing the props in reverse to slow the ship. Aside from those two instances I didn't feel much. This was our first cruise and I was extremely impressed at how smooth the ship was. It's easy to forget you're on the water if you weren't looking outside. On a side note, the family enjoyed our cruise so much we booked another while onboard for May 2020 sailing on Independence of the Seas to CocoCay and Labadee!

0611190813.jpg

To be fair all ships can vibrate at times, especially aft.  

I was on another ship that had to crank it up to full speed to navigate around a weather system and my cabin on an upper deck in the aft section vibrated quite a bit most of the time we were at top speed.

When first starting away from a pier or when azipods are turned for close in maneuvering vibrations are common.  

Then there was the time on Carnival I was right over the bow thrusters on deck 2.  I didn't need a wake up call, I knew when we were arriving in port in my interior cabin.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Yep.  The Enchantment going from Coco Cay to Key West, they crank it up and everything in the MDR is vibrating.   

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Definitely. Freedom had to get from FLL to St. Kitts in 2 days and was going really fast to arrive on time. The whole two days we could feel the vibrations in the MDR floor and other areas lower down on the aft of the ship.

I've just had a fall from my TA advising that our 22nd Dec itinerary has been changed with St Thomas replaced with San Juan.

For me it's not an issue - it will be my first time in the Caribbean and from everything I've read on here, San Juan looks like an interesting place. Plus I'll get to try some Pueto Rican food 😋

Now my only problem is trying to allay the fears of our first-time-cruiser friends who are sailing with us that the ship is not going to sink/drift off around the globe...

2 hours ago, hayley_bopp said:

Now my only problem is trying to allay the fears of our first-time-cruiser friends who are sailing with us that the ship is not going to sink/drift off around the globe...

Haha....Tell them to just lean with the Captain like you do on a motocylcle.

On 4/10/2019 at 8:27 PM, O2matt said:

Posting this as more of a heads up to everyone.  I hope they don’t have to cancel any itineraries.  I leave in 10 days and worry about that for myself and future cruisers on this ship. 

B3338211-2AAF-4035-AA78-C64A3671B275.jpeg

ADF0E200-7938-4F06-896E-3EC21D799790.jpeg

Today I received this letter from Royal Caribbean that Allure of the Seas is having mechanical problems "technical limitations on one of the ship's propulsion pods", and they give you the option to change cruise ship but YOU HAVE TO PAY MORE for the other ship. They will NOT honor the deal you got 6 months ago. You either, travel on the bad ship, pay more for another ship or cancel your trip. Not a single option favors the client. The right thing to do is put the client on another ship with no additional cost.

royal caribbean allure.jpg

I'm guessing at this point it's safe to assume our stop in San Juan in September on Allure is going to be shortened - maybe either just do a quick walk around OSJ now early morning with some coffee or just stay on board instead of making the trek up to the fort. I think our stops in SXM and Labadee are safe since we're already scheduled 8 AM to 5 PM in SXM and 10 AM to 6 PM in Labadee. Could be worse! 

Kind of funny that the last time we were on Allure, we were on our honeymoon B2B and they previous azipod issues were ongoing then as well.

July 26, 2019

Royal Caribbean sent an email saying that the Allure of the Seas is having mechanical problems "technical limitations on one of the ship's propulsion pods", and they give you the option to change cruise ship but YOU HAVE TO PAY MORE for the other ship. They will NOT honor the deal we got 6 months ago. Either travel on the ship that has propulsion issues, pay more for another ship or cancel your vacation. Not a single option favors the client. The right thing to do is put the client on another ship with no additional cost. We are not asking for a better room, but the same amenities we paid for. It is wrong to tell the customer that they have to assume the additional cost. They are asking us to pay today's prices and not the price that the cruise ships had when we booked 6 months ago. This will affect all cruises in the Allure of the Seas for this year.

royal caribbean allure.jpg

We were on Allure earlier this month and we didn’t feel anything related to the propulsion issue. The only way you might suspect there was any issue at all was when looking at the wake from the back of the ship! We went to San Juan (it was a scheduled stop) and loved it! Went on an excursion so we got a glimpse into different areas and places. Made us want to return just to San Juan someday! 

50 minutes ago, Nilda said:

You either, travel on the bad ship, pay more for another ship or cancel your trip. Not a single option favors the client. The right thing to do is put the client on another ship with no additional cost.

I can assure you it's not a "bad ship", and propulsion aside it'll still be a great time. The last time the Allure had an issue with propulsion, we spent two weeks on board and besides seeing the wake missing a bit on the left side we didn't notice anything. Additionally, the cruise line can change the ports for any reason and happens often. It's unfortunate when it happens, but you can also choose to make the best of it. San Juan is a great port and even if it isn't what you originally intended, you can still have a fantastic time. 

They're offering a full refund which they do not have to do at all.  I think that's a pretty good deal if you really only chose the sailing for the port that is being missed.  Otherwise, you're getting the same amenities on the ship.  Oasis class ships are destinations in themselves. 

The only effects from the propulsion issue is that the ship can't go as fast and thus can't go as far in the same amount of time.  Port changes happen all the time for a variety of reasons and often the cruise line can't even scramble up alternatives in time.  In your case they are giving you the heads up and allowing you to cancel the sailing without penalty.  I know it's a disappointment to have your original itinerary changed a bit, but I think you can still have a great time on the cruise.