Allure Propulsion Issues

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:21 PM, orch said:

Just got off Allure of the Seas on Sunday.  Didn't notice any issues from the propulsion issue.  We made an unscheduled stop in Grand  Cayman for a medical emergency it did not effect our arrival time in Cozumel at all.

We were on the same sailing and the only time I felt the vibration was in the evening after we left Labadee around sunset. We were on the boardwalk while my daughter was riding the merry go round. I walked back to Sabor bar to grab a drink and standing directly beside it the vibration was pretty noticeable. The bottles behind the bar were shaking pretty hard and clinking together. Walking forward only a few feet in front of Johnny Rockets the feeling disappeared almost completely. I felt the same feeling when we were pulling up to Grand Cayman. We were in the pool and the water started sloshing fore and aft so I walked up to the Solarium to get a better view of the island. The glass panels would shake from time to time as we were slowing down and it almost felt like they were pulsing the props in reverse to slow the ship. Aside from those two instances I didn't feel much. This was our first cruise and I was extremely impressed at how smooth the ship was. It's easy to forget you're on the water if you weren't looking outside. On a side note, the family enjoyed our cruise so much we booked another while onboard for May 2020 sailing on Independence of the Seas to CocoCay and Labadee!

0611190813.jpg

To be fair all ships can vibrate at times, especially aft.  

I was on another ship that had to crank it up to full speed to navigate around a weather system and my cabin on an upper deck in the aft section vibrated quite a bit most of the time we were at top speed.

When first starting away from a pier or when azipods are turned for close in maneuvering vibrations are common.  

Then there was the time on Carnival I was right over the bow thrusters on deck 2.  I didn't need a wake up call, I knew when we were arriving in port in my interior cabin.  

4 hours ago, twangster said:

To be fair all ships can vibrate at times, especially aft.  

Definitely. Freedom had to get from FLL to St. Kitts in 2 days and was going really fast to arrive on time. The whole two days we could feel the vibrations in the MDR floor and other areas lower down on the aft of the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just had a fall from my TA advising that our 22nd Dec itinerary has been changed with St Thomas replaced with San Juan.

For me it's not an issue - it will be my first time in the Caribbean and from everything I've read on here, San Juan looks like an interesting place. Plus I'll get to try some Pueto Rican food ?

Now my only problem is trying to allay the fears of our first-time-cruiser friends who are sailing with us that the ship is not going to sink/drift off around the globe...

On 4/10/2019 at 8:27 PM, O2matt said:

Posting this as more of a heads up to everyone.  I hope they don’t have to cancel any itineraries.  I leave in 10 days and worry about that for myself and future cruisers on this ship. 

B3338211-2AAF-4035-AA78-C64A3671B275.jpeg

ADF0E200-7938-4F06-896E-3EC21D799790.jpeg

Today I received this letter from Royal Caribbean that Allure of the Seas is having mechanical problems "technical limitations on one of the ship's propulsion pods", and they give you the option to change cruise ship but YOU HAVE TO PAY MORE for the other ship. They will NOT honor the deal you got 6 months ago. You either, travel on the bad ship, pay more for another ship or cancel your trip. Not a single option favors the client. The right thing to do is put the client on another ship with no additional cost.

royal caribbean allure.jpg

I'm guessing at this point it's safe to assume our stop in San Juan in September on Allure is going to be shortened - maybe either just do a quick walk around OSJ now early morning with some coffee or just stay on board instead of making the trek up to the fort. I think our stops in SXM and Labadee are safe since we're already scheduled 8 AM to 5 PM in SXM and 10 AM to 6 PM in Labadee. Could be worse! 

Kind of funny that the last time we were on Allure, we were on our honeymoon B2B and they previous azipod issues were ongoing then as well.

July 26, 2019

Royal Caribbean sent an email saying that the Allure of the Seas is having mechanical problems "technical limitations on one of the ship's propulsion pods", and they give you the option to change cruise ship but YOU HAVE TO PAY MORE for the other ship. They will NOT honor the deal we got 6 months ago. Either travel on the ship that has propulsion issues, pay more for another ship or cancel your vacation. Not a single option favors the client. The right thing to do is put the client on another ship with no additional cost. We are not asking for a better room, but the same amenities we paid for. It is wrong to tell the customer that they have to assume the additional cost. They are asking us to pay today's prices and not the price that the cruise ships had when we booked 6 months ago. This will affect all cruises in the Allure of the Seas for this year.

royal caribbean allure.jpg

We were on Allure earlier this month and we didn’t feel anything related to the propulsion issue. The only way you might suspect there was any issue at all was when looking at the wake from the back of the ship! We went to San Juan (it was a scheduled stop) and loved it! Went on an excursion so we got a glimpse into different areas and places. Made us want to return just to San Juan someday! 

50 minutes ago, Nilda said:

You either, travel on the bad ship, pay more for another ship or cancel your trip. Not a single option favors the client. The right thing to do is put the client on another ship with no additional cost.

I can assure you it's not a "bad ship", and propulsion aside it'll still be a great time. The last time the Allure had an issue with propulsion, we spent two weeks on board and besides seeing the wake missing a bit on the left side we didn't notice anything. Additionally, the cruise line can change the ports for any reason and happens often. It's unfortunate when it happens, but you can also choose to make the best of it. San Juan is a great port and even if it isn't what you originally intended, you can still have a fantastic time. 

They're offering a full refund which they do not have to do at all.  I think that's a pretty good deal if you really only chose the sailing for the port that is being missed.  Otherwise, you're getting the same amenities on the ship.  Oasis class ships are destinations in themselves. 

The only effects from the propulsion issue is that the ship can't go as fast and thus can't go as far in the same amount of time.  Port changes happen all the time for a variety of reasons and often the cruise line can't even scramble up alternatives in time.  In your case they are giving you the heads up and allowing you to cancel the sailing without penalty.  I know it's a disappointment to have your original itinerary changed a bit, but I think you can still have a great time on the cruise.