Sign in to follow this  
O2matt

Allure Propulsion Issues

3 hours ago, KLA said:

Yes - it was around Sept/Oct 17 the azipod issue started, and it went in to dry dock in January 18 to fix the issue. We have her booked again this year in October and we're very much looking forward to it with how busy our schedules are lately, so reeeally hoping there's no impact. 

Also, hi everyone! 

Hey Kayla.

3 hours ago, KLA said:

Yes - it was around Sept/Oct 17 the azipod issue started, and it went in to dry dock in January 18 to fix the issue. We have her booked again this year in October and we're very much looking forward to it with how busy our schedules are lately, so reeeally hoping there's no impact. 

Also, hi everyone! 

Hello And Welcome Back Kayla!

3 hours ago, KLA said:

We have her booked again this year in October and we're very much looking forward to it

We are sailing on her again in October as well!

16 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

We are sailing on her again in October as well!

Technically I'm sailing Sept 29th, so basically October. Can't wait to get back on board! 

5 hours ago, Psycho and Barb said:

We were just got off the Allure on the 7th and we did notice a vibration while in the Boardwalk area.  It must have gotten worse.

Was your itinerary affected?

On 4/10/2019 at 11:18 PM, JohnK6404 said:

We're on Allure on 5/19... fingers crossed no impact or repaired!

I'm worried but hopefully all will be good for us on the 19th.  I just ordered an anniversary sign for our cabin door for the cruise.

16 hours ago, 12thman said:

I was on that same cruise (April 7 end) and noticed random vibrations.  Our itinerary wasn't changed, but we were sailing to different locations than the one that's currently being affected.  Our itinerary was Miami, Nassau, sea, Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya, sea, back to Miami.  

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:34 PM, 12thman said:

Nope our itinerary was not effected.  We just noticed the vibration while at the diving show and eating at Johnny Rockets.  We have been on lots of Oasis class ships to know something was not right and asked but were told everything was normal.

We were on a cruise first week of april -19, and I noticed that the wake from the ship mainly showed two azipod tracks. When I was visiting the bridge while sailing, I noticed that starboard azipod was running ad very reduced RPM compared to the other two, see picture.

azipod.thumb.jpg.1b98045aeaa0bcddce817855db520a41.jpg

I belive th ship is scheduled for dry dock in May?

12 minutes ago, GorgonP said:

We were on a cruise first week of april -19, and I noticed that the wake from the ship mainly showed two azipod tracks. When I was visiting the bridge while sailing, I noticed that starboard azipod was running ad very reduced RPM compared to the other two, see picture.

azipod.thumb.jpg.1b98045aeaa0bcddce817855db520a41.jpg

I belive th ship is scheduled for dry dock in May?

April 19??? Hasn't occurred yet. In 2018 maybe??? Also, Allure's dry dock is scheduled for 2020.

Wouldn’t RC need to repair the azipod before peak season? Having the itinerary shortened would be bad for business. No one wants to look at an itinerary and book the cruise only later to be told it’s being shortened. 

34 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Wouldn’t RC need to repair the azipod before peak season? Having the itinerary shortened would be bad for business. No one wants to look at an itinerary and book the cruise only later to be told it’s being shortened. 

Peak season is somewhat irrelevant.  She sails nearly full every trip.  Depending on the issue and path to resolution she may have several weeks or several months before what ever is broken can be fixed.  

Will people cancel cruises because she has to leave San Juan a little early and arrive in Labadee a little late?  I'm not so sure.  A few might but many will go with it rather than cancel a long anticipated cruise.

There will never be a good time to cancel a cruise for her repair but it also can only be done when it can be done.  If it is another dinged propellor it took many months to forge a new one last time.  She may have no choice but to limp through until what ever part(s) are required can be prepared AND time in a shipyard secured to do the work.  

Let's not forget the dry dock where they last fixed her is down at the moment.  That may take months to get back into service if it even can be.  If they had to run across the Atlantic to get the work done that's likely four cancelled cruises by the time she makes the round trip.  

The smart business decision may be to limp through.  A lot of people won't even know they have a speed restriction in effect at the moment. 

So would this issue just cause vibration or would you feel rocking and motion.  We were on allure the last week in March and we were really surprised how much we felt the ship rocking, tipping etc.  We actually felt more movement than on vision.  I assumed it was just rough waters but could this tech prob cause the boat to be less stable?  We didn’t feel any vibrating at all.  Jane

11 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

So would this issue just cause vibration or would you feel rocking and motion.  We were on allure the last week in March and we were really surprised how much we felt the ship rocking, tipping etc.  We actually felt more movement than on vision.  I assumed it was just rough waters but could this tech prob cause the boat to be less stable?  We didn’t feel any vibrating at all.  Jane

It won't cause motion.  That's the luck of sea swell.  

One azipod can't run at full speed.  That takes a few knots off her top speed.  It should have no other effect in terms rocking or motion, simply slowing her down a bit.