I was just browsing options and I noticed a cruise for $781 per person for an inside stateroom.

Okay.

I most likely would go alone so I grok that it's double occupancy. I would have thought that at the most, it would be double the $781 which is $1,562 but if I select a single person I am quoted $1,728 per person.

Why in the world would I be charged MORE to be alone in a room than if I had two people?

Can I just book for two then oh well, my kid had a school thing and couldn't come? Or do they suddenly hike my price up if my "room mate" cancels and never boards even though at that point they keep their money?

For my first cruise, I have a room mate so this is no issue but I'd like to cruise more in the future but I'd have to go solo.

?

Seems to make more sense to book two people then one "just can't make it at the last minute" even though it's "paid" and just forfits their "payment"?

Or should I just bring my "imaginary friend"? Pretend I have split personalities and each will be sailing?

Am I missing something?

Good question.  I am sure others would provide a better answer than me.

However, the way I look at it, the cruise line factor it like this:

• If you have dual occupancy, you are likely to spend $500 on board per person whilst on the ship at a total of $1000.
  • When you are travelling solo, they know you will only spend $500... so they are technically missing out on the rest of the onboard spend.
  • They penalise you for travelling solo because they are going to lose revenue, so they slug you a surcharge for the pleasure.

Does it stink?  Yep, sure does.

Would your plan work (booking the room then the other person not turning up)?  Who knows... could be worth trying though. HA!!.  You should check the cruise contract to see what it says.

Just curious, did you step through the booking both ways to the final price? If not, it might end up pricing the same, since the initial price that shows doesn't include all the taxes and fees. Maybe?

5 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

Just curious, did you step through the booking both ways to the final price? If not, it might end up pricing the same, since the initial price that shows doesn't include all the taxes and fees. Maybe?

I did step through the booking and it took me all the way to putting in my credit card info. And that price quoted for a single person INCLUDED the "BOGO" offer they are currently running. Meaning it was close to 3k for a solo traveler before the discount when it was showing $781 pp for double occupancy.

Um. No.

I did do a search of good lines for solo travelers and have found a few that either have solo/studio rooms OR don't penalize you for being single. Sadly, I may not be able to be loyal to RC if that's how they want to do it.

1 minute ago, ellcee said:

Are you counting the final tax? I cruise solo and don’t find that.  I just did a few mockups and still not seeing it. 

Here is what I am seeing:

Selecting 1 stateroom (inside), 2 passengers:

Interior Stateroom Guarantee

$2,132.00
2 Guests
Flash Sale
-$50.00
BOGO50 NRD
-$521.00
Subtotal:
$1,561.00
Taxes & Fees
$262.06
Total For Room (after discounts)
$1,823.06

Selecting 1 stateroom (inside), 1 passenger:
Interior
$2,638.00
1 Guests
Flash Sale
-$50.00
BOGO50 NRD
-$860.00
Subtotal:
$1,728.00
Taxes & Fees
$131.03
Total For Room (after discounts)
$1,859.03

Without the tax it's $95.06 more

After the tax, it's $35.97 more (I know this isn't a break the bank issue but I am irritated that I am penalized for being independent).

Perhaps I need to find a Sugar Daddy or a Boy Toy..... *insert eye roll here*

15 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

Good reason to have an agent who can make a few calls and answer your questions....But sometimes it just doesn't make sense.  Best of luck!

Thanks. I am new to this so will have to chit chat with my travel agent. Perhaps they have some tips and tricks.

There are some RC ships that have cabins for singles and they are supposed to be 150% instead of 200% of the cruise fare.  You may want to check into those.  My hubby has one booked for April 2020 but it was a free cabin for him so I don't have the cost.  Do a search for which ships offer them.

3 minutes ago, Hoski said:

There are some RC ships that have cabins for singles and they are supposed to be 150% instead of 200% of the cruise fare.  You may want to check into those.  My hubby has one booked for April 2020 but it was a free cabin for him so I don't have the cost.  Do a search for which ships offer them.

Looks like Quantum of the Seas, Ovation of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas each feature 28 dedicated "studio" cabins for solo travelers on each ship, a mix of virtual balcony cabins (featuring 80-inch floor-to-ceiling LED display screens that project live images of the ocean and ports) and staterooms with actual 55-square-foot open-air balconies. These units all come with full-size beds and range in size from 101 to 119 square feet.

Looks like Quantum sails from Mainland China which I can't go to (work won't allow).

Ovation and Anthem are those really crazy big ships it looks like...

I guess I'll just enjoy my upcoming cruise that I have a room mate for and then talk to the TA and see what to do from there.

I like being able to pop over to Baltimore to cruise because I hate flying. I could drive to FL. Or the train maybe.

Just trying to get an idea of what my options are and the cost associated for future planning.

Thanks!

I found this but am not sure if I am allowed to provide the link that shows another website and other cruise lines also.

Royal Caribbean International

The Ships: Four of Royal Caribbean's nearly two dozen ships -- Quantum of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, Ovation of the Seas and Harmony of the Seas -- offer solo-traveler staterooms.

The Cabins: On the line's Quantum-class ships, there are two cabin categories available to solo travelers, both offering standard amenities and European-size double beds. The studio interior staterooms (measuring 101 square feet) boast an industry-first virtual balcony: an 80-inch-high, floor-to-ceiling LED screen that projects real-time views of the ocean and ports. Meanwhile, the studio balcony staterooms (119 square feet) come with a real-deal, 55-square-foot, open-air veranda. (Standard rooms on the same ships would measure about 160 to 180 square feet, for comparison.) Each of the Quantum-class ships has 16 studio interior staterooms and 12 balcony staterooms apiece; these cabins -- located midship and spread out over decks 6 through 13 – can sometimes connect to adjoining staterooms for parties traveling together.  Harmony of the Seas offers a handful of studio interior staterooms with virtual balconies, but unlike Quantum-class vessels, the ship does not have any studio balcony staterooms.

7 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

If the prices won't match just book for 2 with the second passenger TBA.  You will get the second person's taxes refunded when they no show.  

...this was what I was thinking but there has to be a catch. Or who in the world would bother paying for a single person?

13 minutes ago, Hoski said:

I found this but am not sure if I am allowed to provide the link that shows another website and other cruise lines also.

Royal Caribbean International

The Ships: Four of Royal Caribbean's nearly two dozen ships -- Quantum of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, Ovation of the Seas and Harmony of the Seas -- offer solo-traveler staterooms.

The Cabins: On the line's Quantum-class ships, there are two cabin categories available to solo travelers, both offering standard amenities and European-size double beds. The studio interior staterooms (measuring 101 square feet) boast an industry-first virtual balcony: an 80-inch-high, floor-to-ceiling LED screen that projects real-time views of the ocean and ports. Meanwhile, the studio balcony staterooms (119 square feet) come with a real-deal, 55-square-foot, open-air veranda. (Standard rooms on the same ships would measure about 160 to 180 square feet, for comparison.) Each of the Quantum-class ships has 16 studio interior staterooms and 12 balcony staterooms apiece; these cabins -- located midship and spread out over decks 6 through 13 – can sometimes connect to adjoining staterooms for parties traveling together.  Harmony of the Seas offers a handful of studio interior staterooms with virtual balconies, but unlike Quantum-class vessels, the ship does not have any studio balcony staterooms.

So. Wait. There is a ship named "Quantum" but also just a "Quantum Class" it sounds like?

So much to learn...

If you don’t mind smaller ships without all the bells and whistles, you can find some fantastic solo prices on Majesty and Empress right now. My friend just booked a solo sailing for a 4 night ocean view room on Majesty for $391 including taxes and fees. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I"ve heard Matt suggest on podcasts to book for 2 people (any person for the 2nd person) and when the 2nd person doesn't show up they'll just refund the port fee and taxes on the 2nd person who doesn't show.

I can roll with that. Assuming I'd have to go through the process of submitting their documentation (meaning probably use a family member vs a random friend).

3 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

If you don’t mind smaller ships without all the bells and whistles, you can find some fantastic solo prices on Majesty and Empress right now. My friend just booked a solo sailing for a 4 night ocean view room on Majesty for $391 including taxes and fees. 

Thank you. To be honest: I much prefer smaller less busy environments. I am not super keen on the ones that appear to be a shopping mall/amusement park on the water.

I'll take a look at those. Even a slightly higher double of the fare is workable at such a low price. I am going to go peek now! Thank you!

Are both the same category?

Pricing varies by cabin category.  Within the interior type of cabins are many categories such as 1N, 2N, 4N, 6N etc.  They are all interior, but different categories.

It's possible the cheapest interior category at the moment are ones that hold 3 or more guests.  Solo guests aren't typically allowed to book this category.  Once you select one guest it may be changing the category and as it happens, that category is more expensive.  

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Are both the same category?

Pricing varies by cabin category.  Within the interior type of cabins are many categories such as 1N, 2N, 4N, 6N etc.  They are all interior, but different categories.

It's possible the cheapest interior category at the moment are ones that hold 3 or more guests.  Solo guests aren't typically allowed to book this category.  Once you select one guest it may be changing the category and as it happens, that category is more expensive.  

That could be it 🤔

I tried to click through the same but the double occ lowest was a "guaranteed" and the single person option did not appear to be that when I did the click through again.

If the category was different than that absolutely could have accounted for that variation in price.

So the assumption of being penalized seems to hold less water. I'll have to play around with it some more and see if I can compare apples to apples as this might just have been an apples to oranges so thank you! This is exactly why I asked out here! Was hoping a more experienced cruiser could shed some light on it!

Typically solo guests can't book guarantee cabins but occasionally they can.  

Sometimes I'll book a friend with me in a GTY cabin but sadly many times they can't make it at the last minute and they are a no show at the pier.  In these cases I end up solo.  Shortly after the cruise their port fees and taxes will be refunded.