15 minutes ago, twangster said:

Typically solo guests can't book guarantee cabins but occasionally they can.  

Sometimes I'll book a friend with me in a GTY cabin but sadly many times they can't make it at the last minute and they are a no show at the pier.  In these cases I end up solo.  Shortly after the cruise their port fees and taxes will be refunded.

I think I have a friend that also tends to have to reschedule last minute 🤔 Good to know that won't be a problem from someone with more experience.

I have travelled "solo" a cpl times......yes, Royal will charge you at least double in most cases. They used to offer single supplement at 150% on some ships, but I have no idea if that's the case any longer...prob not, as they lose $$ that way...and Royal is ALL about making that $$ once ur on the ship.

Booking solo you do get double points which for some ppl can be some incentive, but you don't get double points if you book a solo cabin. I had looked once and the solo cabins were MORE than me booking a regular cabin solo and paying double....go figure!!!!

Best advice is to get a good TA..or just check multiple sites as pricing can vary greatly from site to site as well as perks included.

Good luck!!

A lot of the revised 2019 Majesty and Empress itineraries that resulted from the Cuba fallout have no single supplement.  

I picked a few solo deals on them for the remainder of the year.

I'm perfectly fine on older and smaller ships.  I might step up to OV for slightly more space since cabins can be small on them, but with no solo supplement I couldn't pass them by.

Some Empress cruises go to the British VI which is rare for Royal.

1 minute ago, monctonguy said:

Booking solo you do get double points which for some ppl can be some incentive, but you don't get double points if you book a solo cabin. I had looked once and the solo cabins were MORE than me booking a regular cabin solo and paying double....go figure!!!!

Best advice is to get a good TA..or just check multiple sites as pricing can vary greatly from site to site as well as perks included.

Good luck!!

>>I have travelled "solo" a cpl times......yes, Royal will charge you at least double in most cases. They used to offer single supplement at 150% on some ships, but I have no idea if that's the case any longer...prob not, as they lose $$ that way...and Royal is ALL about making that $$ once ur on the ship. <<

After doing some research, I am finding that when you really eyeball across all ships, with the exception of the ridiculous luxury ships, for the most parts, I was finding what I'd call reasonable rates in line with each other for similar voyages. I did look at Celebrity, Norwegian, Cunard, Holland, Seabourn, etc. A few of those ships also had studios or single person supplements as well. I have no problem with anyone trying to make their coin but at a certain point, I do tend to go out of my way to avoid those that are TOO obnoxious about it.

>>Booking solo you do get double points which for some ppl can be some incentive, but you don't get double points if you book a solo cabin. I had looked once and the solo cabins were MORE than me booking a regular cabin solo and paying double....go figure!!!!<<

Yes. I was seeing that in some cases and in others they were trying to even that out to get the solo traveler business. I'm kind of looking at it like this:

I am a single woman (ten year single anniversary THIS year) who is also a Chief Officer of a company. I work long crazy hours and am a single mom with a teenage kid (who is amazing). I don't date and don't have a large group of single pals to cruise with. This does not bother me in the least. My one pal who I could probably talk into vacationing with me HATES crowds of ANY kind and the idea of being on a cruise ship makes them turn pale and shake their head violently NO. I am used to being solo and quite enjoy it so have no qualms packing up and going on an adventure. And, I think there are starting to be more women and men like me. Whether not wanting to get back into another relationship or due to being a widow, there are plenty of us older single folks with money and we are happy to spend it but I'd rather plonk it down on extra excursions or a bottle of Champagne for my table at dinner to share then to pay for empty space "just because".

The cost difference for what I was looking at was negligible at that. I pay more for nice pair of shoes or a Kate Spade bag. It just rankled me that it seemed like I was being punished for not running out and attaching myself to someone like a limpet just so I can get everyone's approval that I have a "person".

But I think there are some sly marketers and companies out there that are realizing this and starting to cater to us. I am on the lookout now.

>>Best advice is to get a good TA..or just check multiple sites as pricing can vary greatly from site to site as well as perks included.<<

I have never used a TA until now.

When I was a kid, I would see them in strip malls and remember how you would GO to the travel agent to book a trip then suddenly they disappeared and everyone had to DIY with the internet. Honestly? I did not realize they were still a "thing".

But this upcoming cruise is through a TA through the group I am going with so I guess I have one now so I can start to work with that. She is local and also part of the group so I can sit down with her occasionally and talk (call me old fashioned but I like that).

This board is invaluable with advice and tips and I greedily read everyone's questions and am learning.

I am thinking if I tell my TA: I am looking for X in the Y price range, can you let me know when it pops up? Then just be ready to rock and roll if it does is going to be the best approach...

🙂

9 hours ago, JennyJenny said:

...this was what I was thinking but there has to be a catch. Or who in the world would bother paying for a single person?

As far as I know you don't even need to check the other person in or submit any documentation for them.  It's not like flying..you don't even have to check yourself in online for a cruise.  You can just show up at the port and do it.  They don't ask for ID/passport information until the check-in process.  Booking for 2 will also allow you to add someone later on.  The catch is that you have to fork over double the deposit and Royal gets to hold onto the second person's port taxes and fees until after the cruise.  Another catch is that if you want to do the deluxe beverage package you have to pay for both..now the no-show will get the package refunded but it still means you have to let Royal hold onto more of your money.

When you do the comparison for 1 to 2 when making a booking you definitely need to go the route of choosing your own room and picking the room to get the apples to apples comparison.  

If you are looking for some sailings that don't have the 2x solo supplement Empress of the Seas on Aug 24 and Oasis of the Seas for Nov 24, Dec 1, Dec 8, and Dec 15 are ones that I have come across that aren't charging double currently.

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

have no single supplement.  

Okay. So when you say "single supplement" does that mean:

1. They tack on more if you are single.

2. They "supplement" the cost so you don't have to pay exorbitantly more.

The net net is: do I look for a cruise to HAVE a single supplement or to NOT have a single supplement?

I echo all the travel agent stuff. I do my own research before I contact mine. My experience is the solo cabins are just slightly less than just paying for a double occupancy room. Let someone else do the work for you and find whatever discounts they can get you. @michelle is mine and a few others on this site if you'd like a recommendation.

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Also, the Going, Going, Gone flyer lists solo supplements.  Most are 200% but occasionally you'll see a reduced supplement on the list

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

That's a nice resource. It looks to be for Crown and Anchor folks so I assume I can have access to that after my first cruise. Does that show up in the cruise planner area or elsewhere?

1 minute ago, JennyJenny said:

Okay. So when you say "single supplement" does that mean:

1. They tack on more if you are single.

2. They "supplement" the cost so you don't have to pay exorbitantly more.

The net net is: do I look for a cruise to HAVE a single supplement or to NOT have a single supplement?

The single supplement is an additional fee charged to solo travelers since cruise cabins are priced based on double occupancy.  The normal solo supplement is 200% meaning you pay double.  You pay the cost of two guests even though only one guest sails.

If you can find a reduced single supplement, like 100% or 150% that is good, you are not paying the normal double. 

I booked a handful of Majesty and Empress cruises at 100% single supplement - no additional charge for being solo, an incredible deal.

2 minutes ago, ellcee said:

I echo all the travel agent stuff. I do my own research before I contact mine. My experience is the solo cabins are just slightly less than just paying for a double occupancy room. Let someone else do the work for you and find whatever discounts they can get you. @michelle is mine and a few others on this site if you'd like a recommendation.

Thank you. I fully acknowledge that someone more experienced (a TA) is definitely going to be able to work wonders for me.

Let me see how this one I have does (she seems nice but not sure how .....organized she is). If she does a mediocre job at best than I will definitely look into recommendations!

1 minute ago, JennyJenny said:

That's a nice resource. It looks to be for Crown and Anchor folks so I assume I can have access to that after my first cruise. Does that show up in the cruise planner area or elsewhere?

C&A members get to book them a day before the general public.  Note the flyer is for bookings made next week.  On Monday July 15 C&A members can start booking them, the general public the next day.

2 minutes ago, JennyJenny said:

Read the bolded line at the top..OPEN BOOKING dates..so everyone has access to these!  The prices will show for these sailings on Royal's site during the dates specified.  The flyer is just a helpful place to start to see if the solo pricing is reasonable for you as they are trying to sell the cabins!

If your ok and used to doing solo travelling..then cruising will be awesome for you. There is a good mix, lots to do and see and I have always made friends on every cruise(whether single or not) and still keep in touch with many of them. It will be a great time.....enjoy!

1 minute ago, twangster said:

The single supplement is an additional fee charged to solo travelers since cruise cabins are priced based on double occupancy.  The normal solo supplement is 200% meaning you pay double.  You pay the cost of two guests even though only one guest sails.

If you can find a reduced single supplement, like 100% or 150% that is good, you are not paying the normal double. 

I booked a handful of Majesty and Empress cruises at 100% single supplement - no additional charge for being solo, an incredible deal.

Thank you for explaining this. Optimally I am looking for a 100% (which is not common) but 150% is not bad? I think I saw a few in my roamings last night on various sites so now what I saw makes much more sense. Having to learn a whole new vocabulary and environment! Thank you!

Empress Junior Suites are reasonable and for anyone looking to rack up C&A points, solo nets triple points in a junior suite.  With the reduced single supplement they are a bargain for solo travelers.  

I've got a B2B coming up in a JS on Empress.  14 nights will net me 42 C&A points.  Some people take years to rack up 42 points, I'll do it in 2 weeks.

Empress is the smallest and oldest ship in the fleet, so there is that, but if you are okay with classic cruising absent of zip lines and bumper cars, it's not a bad little ship. 

1 minute ago, monctonguy said:

If your ok and used to doing solo travelling..then cruising will be awesome for you. There is a good mix, lots to do and see and I have always made friends on every cruise(whether single or not) and still keep in touch with many of them. It will be a great time.....enjoy!

Thank you. My daughter has shown some interest in coming with me so I might have a buddy occasionally but I also am quite fine just going solo and relaxing. I know she's going to want to go do her own thing without me when she's all grown up and that's fine so I have my list of things to do to keep me busy and not sit there alone missing my baby.

I deal with so many people all day that I have to manage or direct that the idea of sitting by myself and not having to say a word to anyone or have anyone ask me a question (where are we going for dinner, where are my socks, what time is it, etc etc) is something I am looking forward.

I suppose I have spoiled myself with my already solo vacations and quite like being able to pick all the stuff I want when I want and how I want 🙂

I am positive I will have a good time. I am so counting the days! (287 to go!!!!!) I may do a solo blog about it as I have been watching the blog section and finding it helpful yet not many folks on the ship I am going on have posted about it. The last one is about 2 or 3 years ago (2017).

Most of my cruising is solo.  I get to do what I want when I want and once in a while I can pick an expensive excursion since I am only buying it for me.   Helicopter to a glacier or the Monserrat volcano for example.    

I enjoy cruising with family and friends once in while but it's different, waiting for them to get ready, doing things as a group, etc.  

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Empress Junior Suites are reasonable and for anyone looking to rack up C&A points, solo nets triple points in a junior suite.  With the reduced single supplement they are a bargain for solo travelers.  

I've got a B2B coming up in a JS on Empress.  14 nights will net me 42 C&A points.  Some people take years to rack up 42 points, I'll do it in 2 weeks.

Empress is the smallest and oldest ship in the fleet, so there is that, but if you are okay with classic cruising absent of zip lines and bumper cars, it's not a bad little ship. 

I've seen some B2B on You Tube which look fun to try. And the Empress! I love little ships. I have a friend who watches the videos with me long distance at night and after watching one on a Carnival Cruise I was saying to him that my idea of a cruise was more along the lines of "Hercule Poirot" vs "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate "fun" but for me, a vacation is to get away from all the crazy busy-ness of life. I go to conferences for work and they are full of drunk people hollering and team building events with zip lines and.... I just want to decompress. It may sound silly but I don't want to do things on a cruise that I can do here at home. I have a mall down the road and after looking at some of the larger ships they just seem like a floating shopping mall.....

I just looked and the Empress is darling. And I can grab an Amtrak down to that area for $92 !

I should make this my profile pic lol

s-l300.jpg

36 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

As far as I know you don't even need to check the other person in or submit any documentation for them.  It's not like flying..you don't even have to check yourself in online for a cruise.  You can just show up at the port and do it.  They don't ask for ID/passport information until the check-in process.  Booking for 2 will also allow you to add someone later on.  The catch is that you have to fork over double the deposit and Royal gets to hold onto the second person's port taxes and fees until after the cruise.  Another catch is that if you want to do the deluxe beverage package you have to pay for both..now the no-show will get the package refunded but it still means you have to let Royal hold onto more of your money.

When you do the comparison for 1 to 2 when making a booking you definitely need to go the route of choosing your own room and picking the room to get the apples to apples comparison.  

If you are looking for some sailings that don't have the 2x solo supplement Empress of the Seas on Aug 24 and Oasis of the Seas for Nov 24, Dec 1, Dec 8, and Dec 15 are ones that I have come across that aren't charging double currently.

1. Good to know for the documentation!

2. Not a big drinker so no worries with the Deluxe package. I haven't drank that much in my entire life let alone cramming it into a week!

3. Agree with doing the apples to apples comparison.

4. I am going to look more into the Empress since I can Amtrak down for a good price. Maybe even bring my daughter on that one as it will be my bday month and she hopefully won't have any practices around the holidays (she's a figure skater).

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

I enjoy cruising with family and friends once in while but it's different, waiting for them to get ready, doing things as a group, etc.  

I just got back from a week long vacation with my elderly parents (love them to pieces but...)

At one point, my daughter said, "This is not a vacation... this is going somewhere else to fuss about everything!"

(My mother is much like Hyacinth from those who have seen Keeping Up Appearances lol)

🙂

1 minute ago, twangster said:

I should have said I tolerate family when they want to cruise with me, but secretly I prefer cruising solo :10_wink:

One day I shall experience this solo thing people speak of..whenever I plan a solo someone always invites themselves along.  Being a cheapskate, it's hard to turn down the financial benefit of splitting travel/accommodation costs..but I still want to sneak away.