spiralqueen

Allure of the Seas May 12-19 Eastern Caribbean - First attempt at Live Blog!

Omfg @mom2mybugs @Lovetocruise2002 That martini looks amazing! I just looked up the recipe online and it doesn’t look like it involves any flavored alcohols (just normal vodka) so I might try seeing if i can get my hands on a virgin version. Did I see somewhere that they serve these at the Trellis Bar??

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Have a great cruise, @spiralqueen! Looking forward to the blog, but don’t worry if it becomes more live-ISH than live; just means you’re enjoying yourself and having lots of fun! 😁

Thank you so much! Yes, that’s why I gave the little forewarning since I don’t know exactly how much time/effort live-blogging will take. I don’t want it to turn into something I resent so if I go MIA for a bit...it just means I’ll fill you guys in later! 

5 minutes ago, Sweety said:

Following. I have been on Allure twice. Have a great time.

Thanks! In case it’s not obvious, I’m very much looking forward to it. I’ve heard such great things about this ship and can’t wait to try it out myself 😃

2 hours ago, spiralqueen said:

Omfg @mom2mybugs @Lovetocruise2002 That martini looks amazing! I just looked up the recipe online and it doesn’t look like it involves any flavored alcohols (just normal vodka) so I might try seeing if i can get my hands on a virgin version. Did I see somewhere that they serve these at the Trellis Bar??

On Allure you can get a similar version at the champagne bar. It is called the Cucumber martini. At 150 they use lemongrass. 

11 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

On Allure you can get a similar version at the champagne bar. It is called the Cucumber martini. At 150 they use lemongrass. 

Oh boo, no way to get the lemongrass version without eating there? Oh well....I’ll still def give the cucumber one a try. Thanks!

24 minutes ago, kuruczpa said:

How far in advance were you able to purchase They Key? Thanks and enjoy your cruise, I will be following along!

I’m not sure how far in advance they are selling them for upcoming sailings because I bought mine when they were first released to all ships. That happened to be in December, so like 5 months ahead of time. I DO know that I’ve been seeing The Key in the CP of my November sailing for a couple of months now but not yet for my May 2020 sailing. So....keep an eye out but prob under a year. And thanks for following along with me!

22 hours ago, spiralqueen said:

I’m not sure how far in advance they are selling them for upcoming sailings because I bought mine when they were first released to all ships. That happened to be in December, so like 5 months ahead of time. I DO know that I’ve been seeing The Key in the CP of my November sailing for a couple of months now but not yet for my May 2020 sailing. So....keep an eye out but prob under a year. And thanks for following along with me!

Awesome, thanks a lot! We are sailing Feb 2020 so I'm guessing I have to wait a few more months. 

On 5/3/2019 at 8:09 PM, Andrew72681 said:

Following along. Looking forward to opinions on how Allure is handling its age right before its Amplification next year. 

I was on her in January and I do not think she is showing her age, except for the propulsion issue currently (In January there was no evident problem).

Except for possibly new carpet, fabric, paint and adding the new restaurants, she is a pretty awesome ship (Been on her three times, 2012, 2017, 2019).

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:06 AM, spiralqueen said:

There are many people in my sailing's FB group who are devastated by this news

@spiralqueen  there's a FB group on our sailing????  Is it too late to join??  So glad you're doing a live blog. I didn't buy the VOOM so I'll have to read your blog after the cruise and compare our experiences :)

43 minutes ago, SLJ said:

@spiralqueen  there's a FB group on our sailing????  Is it too late to join??  So glad you're doing a live blog. I didn't buy the VOOM so I'll have to read your blog after the cruise and compare our experiences 🙂

Yes there is! And it's actually rather active. They are planning a pub crawl but I likely will not be attending due to the not drinking thing. https://www.facebook.com/groups/365872913920663/ 

21 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

Yes there is! And it's actually rather active. They are planning a pub crawl but I likely will not be attending due to the not drinking thing. https://www.facebook.com/groups/365872913920663/ 

Thanks for the link. I just joined. I don't think I can make it either. Not with a 3 and a 5 yo in tow. But it's so cool to get excited with other cruise-mates. 

4 minutes ago, SLJ said:

Thanks for the link. I just joined. I don't think I can make it either. Not with a 3 and a 5 yo in tow. But it's so cool to get excited with other cruise-mates. 

Not a problem! Yes, it's a really great and enthusiastic group on there and lots of people to pipe in to share. I'm the Alex over there with the same icon. 

Day -5:

As you can see, today has been a very productive day at work as I decided to create my travel folder with all the various confirmations and travel information I might need. I may have overcompensated a TAD with printing out luggage tags since we didn't have enough for our last cruise. Do you think 15 for 3 people is excessive?? 😇  (also, yes that is a picture of one of the beaches we were going to in the hung up on my desk behind the folder. I really should print out another picture since St Thomas got axed) 

IMG_1240.thumb.jpg.cacbb0778d81b58a66f5d11d3e6452cd.jpg

2 hours ago, spiralqueen said:

As you can see, today has been a very productive day at work as I decided to create my travel folder with all the various confirmations and travel information I might need.

You were able to hold out on that until Day -5?!? You've got serious willpower; I don't think I've yet gotten later than Day -45 before I have that done, basically as soon as I can print the luggage tags. 😅

5 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

You were able to hold out on that until Day -5?!? You've got serious willpower; I don't think I've yet gotten later than Day -45 before I have that done, basically as soon as I can print the luggage tags. 

lol mainly it was to prevent me from losing everything! I trust myself to not lose these for under a week. Over a month is pushing it. Self awareness! Don't you fret, I had everything "printed" as PDFs in my google drive immediately. 

On 5/7/2019 at 4:42 PM, spiralqueen said:

lol mainly it was to prevent me from losing everything! I trust myself to not lose these for under a week. Over a month is pushing it. Self awareness! Don't you fret, I had everything "printed" as PDFs in my google drive immediately. 

I can’t go more than five minutes from when the luggage tags are available to having them folded and in the plastic luggage tag holders. 

So as we near an hour sitting on the tarmac in our flight down to FLL while they try to fix some door issue, my parents both turned to me and said “I guess this is why you fly down the day before”. YES. YES IT IS! I’m very thankful right now that we have a nonstop flight pretty early in the day so we don’t have the stress of missing a connecting flight or anything. So I’m taking this delay in stride and just watching A Simple Favor for free through the Southwest app. CRUISE IS SO SOON!! 

Edit: Yaaaaay supposedly they fixed the door and we will be taking off any minute now. Just over an hour delay. Not too bad all things considered. The whole plane applauded the mechanic who fixed our door. He’s my favorite person of the day. 

Edited by spiralqueen
Plane update

19 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

... “I guess this is why you fly down the day before”. YES. YES IT IS! I’m very thankful right now that we have a nonstop flight pretty early in the day so we don’t have the stress of missing a connecting flight or anything...

LOL! We're doing the same to play it safe... no pre-cruise stressing! You're almost there!

At this time next SAT morning, we'll be boarding Southwest from Islip/Macarthur to FLL non-stop. My wife is NOT a good flyer and connecting flights also mean more take-offs and landings! 😜 

Enjoy Allure and take care of her please!!!

Day -1 continued: so the plane door issue was fixed as stated above and we ended up leaving closer to 7:30am than 6:05a though we made up some time in the air. Overall our flight landed about an hour later than the original time. I’m continuing my theme of looking on the positive side and liked that it got us into Ft Lauderdale at a more reasonable time to check with the hotel (Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street) on if a room is possibly ready. At this point it was 11am instead of 10 and while our room wasn’t available yet, we were able to bring our bags back to a secured room to store them until it was. It wasn’t the most glamorous storage room, but it did the job. The front desk told us to check back around noon or one so we set off in search of food. My mom saw on google maps that there was a deli across the street that caught her eye which we eventually tracked down. It’s called NY Marina Deli and everything we got was so delicious. Very generous portions and my dad was obsessed with the potato salad that came with his sandwich. I got the bacon and cheese omelet which had probably the best ratio of eggs to filling I’ve ever had in an omelet. Packed, but not overwhelmed, with cheese and bacon in every bite and I’m not ashamed to say that taking a picture never even occurred to me because I was too busy inhaling it. I did snag a menu of theirs on the way out so I could take pictures of that though! 651FB793-D14D-4586-896A-4FB45C444851.thumb.jpeg.cc3635d25f6f969461faaa6b188899fe.jpeg

E3125DEE-CEF4-436C-9BA2-3AED4C77AF8E.thumb.jpeg.df2e70db126e8fb3213bb0051850e6fd.jpeg 

I heartily recommend them for breakfast or lunch if you are in the area. They are tucked away behind the Panera in that shopping center. 

After our self assembled brunch there, we popped back to the hotel to see if the room was free since it was about 12:15. No such luck, but they told us to give them about 45 mins. Not a problem as we also had been wanting to make a Walgreens run a couple of doors down so that’s a perfect way to spend the time. By the time we finished wandering around there finding last minute items to buy, our room was ready! This was about 1pm which is two hours earlier than their stated check-in time. I was very happy that they allowed people to check in as their rooms were available since none of us got a reasonable amount of sleep last night. I’m personally running on somewhere between 1-2.5 hours of sleep. It’s all a bit hazy. I think our plans for the rest of the day are to laze about and recuperate so that we will be well rested and raring to go tomm for our sailing. I’m also pushing for dinner at La Bamba since it’s basically a RCB tradition at this point. I’ll update later on what we decide to do for food but I will leave you now with some pictures of our hotel room. This was taken about 2 minutes after entering the room. As you can see, some of us simply flopped on the bed immediately. 

08C0A0B6-4390-4C89-95C1-22E66DAF8BE9.thumb.jpeg.c8a4eabb8a838a66a3c6ccb528bab6e6.jpeg

7380CE03-2B96-49EB-B62D-8372206A25BE.thumb.jpeg.8f62146694672c086e5fb90c8b0d3474.jpeg

3F5F7368-BBA3-4C2C-A08E-1563B30958F9.thumb.jpeg.defb128f32431264d8e00d134b3f26ea.jpeg

B6CE833D-2A0C-4782-B93F-278FF377C9E8.thumb.jpeg.a9c004a5138c614384b80096abedda75.jpeg

C3F9D2C0-783B-44D5-AF8B-E5A1E8E74FA4.thumb.jpeg.29c39acb261899085378378f7af79f7a.jpeg

0FB478A2-B102-422B-85CD-BC608D39C132.thumb.jpeg.3029de53e28cfab2e7ce60efb0607c53.jpeg

2CB4CB22-3F14-4A52-A362-2555B09B051B.thumb.jpeg.ed978dd8360655b39cad89bd785b7fa5.jpeg

E1D54F7C-88E2-4E27-A3A2-11A9C5B1AEBA.thumb.jpeg.8d46fb41a9957216b35d91bcfe4f6f1a.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Yup. Not an option.  You're going! 😉

I wonder how’d they’d feel if we walked in with all of our luggage Thursday night and sat down for Dinner. 

1 hour ago, spiralqueen said:

I’m also pushing for dinner at La Bamba since it’s basically a RCB tradition at this point.

Tell them it’s not an option because if at least one family doesn’t eat at La Bamba before boarding then the cruise is jinxed. 😉