crzycatldy5

Explorer of the Seas Group Cruise 6/22/18 -6/29/18

The captain told us to get up early to see whales on our way into Juneau. We were not disappointed. We saw lots of fins and splashes as well as some seals and something that appeared to be an otter, although we couldn't be positive. I had us booked for the Guides Choice Hike to Mendenhall Glacier. We had a large group so they split us into 3 groups so they were small enough to enjoy as there were only 12 of us. We hiked the west side of the glacier. The moss covered forest was beautiful enough but as we climbed we got amazing views of the glacier. Our guide told us many stories and stopped to give us information on flora and the glacier. We were provided with packs that had ponchos, water and granola bars as well as walking sticks. No ponchos were needed. We had some sprinkles of rain but it wasn't a big deal. The weather actually felt perfect. There were restroom facilities at the trailhead. The hike was around 6 miles long and was a bit strenuous at parts. The guide offered to drop us off in town or at the ship. We all took advantage of checking out the shops downtown. There is a shuttle back to the ship but we decided to walk back. It really isn't too far and the weather and scenery were great. I accidentally walked right up to some caribou. They ended up frolicking along side us for a little while. I wasn't expecting that wildlife adventure. We took advantage of being on the ship a little early and grabbed some food at the Windjammer before going out to look for pier runners.  It appears the only runner was the dock worker who drove in very quickly and got disapproving looks from ship staff as he got in his forklift to remove the gangways. We went to bed at nearly midnight with a sunset-like glow still in the sky.

In Skagway our excursion did not leave for about 5 hours after the ship docked so we took a hike around Yukatania Point and Smugglers Cove. I definately recommend it. It is walkable from the pier and a really beautiful little hike. We still had plenty of time to check out the shops in town and stop by the ship.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:37 AM, crzycatldy5 said:

The ride was $10 plus tip. We chose to walk from the drop off point to the ship. It wasn't far. 

You had to enter the Promo Code when you set up the acct :(

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:37 AM, crzycatldy5 said: