Jump to content
Dan G

The New "Seamless" Website

Recommended Posts

I finally figured out what is going on its not really about IT issues but more of a marketing  trick .

Here is what I think might happened  :

 

The CEO got some survey about  how people do not like the RC website and keep complaining about it over the social  media (mainly in some message boards)  

He ask the CIO what can be done to improve it , which he replays (very enthusiastic) that they create a new project with new site and  a new DB throwing  in the air  buzzwords like "Digital, Micro services, DeBOPS , clouds, big data etc ...".

The only thing, this project will cost more than 700 M $ (which we all know will be at least twice) and I will need 500% increase in the IT team + some new executives IT manager to run the project 

 

The CFO that heard the required budget automatically refused and remind the CEO about the stakeholders + the board that will not like it , not to forget the  yearly E level  bonuses which will be under risk as they are tied to the EBIT. 

The CEO, who remembered suddenly  the new cars he promised to buy to his kids (I wanted to say the new boat he wanted to buy for himself but , well not sure how much a cruise line  CEO wants to have a boat as his hobby) understand that a new project is not an option and ask what else can be done.

Then the marketing come with a wonderful idea  , create a mock up site that will imitate a new site , this site will stay for two three weeks.

The site will be so terrible that RC customers will beg them to bring back the old site and no one will dare  complain anymore about the current site.

And all of that without spending too much money , I think its genius 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, toodle68 said:

I have migrated lots of DB's and hundreds of systems/websites.. I have never, never, had production down for several days or removed functionality for a week. Fork the data, build an entire new infrastructure, write and test migration programs.. there is a solution to everything that, no matter how old and complex, does not result in loss of production for days.

I have to agree.  For the life of me I do not know why they haven't rolled back (days ago) or fixed it by now.

I'm not sure I'm more surprised the system was deployed broken like this, or that management has allowed it to languish in its current state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am left to believe that Royal is leaving it up to the passengers themselves (and likely via a phone call to customer service) to repair all the broken C & A accounts.

I think it's unreasonable for me to have to tell Royal my C & A number. I don't think I should have to tell them the reservation ID's for the cruises I've put deposits down on but are missing in my C & A account. I most certainly should not have to research every cruise I have taken and paid-in-full for so they appear in my (now empty) cruise history--that includes the one last week.

 

Does anyone else feel this way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Self-service is the ultimate in cost cutting, that's why just about every organization is pushing it as much as they can.

The more the customer can do for themselves the less the company has to pay to do .... in all honesty I doubt it was truly a deliberate decision on Royal's side but I wouldn't be surprised if it works out that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can log in but it wants me to re enter the reservation number for the cruise planner and cruise documents....maybe this is the norm now? Plus I don’t think it gives you much information on the log in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I give up on the new website. My next cruise is over a year away, maybe if I check back in 2019 the website will work for me. I've had to change my password every time I login. When I select the cruise planner, I'm rerouted to login again. So I do, and I select the cruise planner, and I'm rerouted to log in again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very glad that I already printed out my Set Sail pass and luggage tags when they first became available. Now I can't log in on either Chrome or Safari, as it hangs after signing in. Firefox is managing to log in, but accessing the cruise planner still takes me to the screen where I have to enter my reservation info; after doing that, trying to go to the Cruise Countdown area (where I could re-access my online documents if needed) fails with a message, "The reservation is currently being modified", and gives me the form to enter the reservation number and sail date again.

Even better -- the old login URL that used to work now redirects to the new login page, so I can't fall back on that.

Really great job there, Royal IT. Ab-so-freaking-LUTE-LY great job. :40_rage:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Very glad that I already printed out my Set Sail pass and luggage tags when they first became available. Now I can't log in on either Chrome or Safari, as it hangs after signing in. Firefox is managing to log in, but accessing the cruise planner still takes me to the screen where I have to enter my reservation info; after doing that, trying to go to the Cruise Countdown area (where I could re-access my online documents if needed) fails with a message, "The reservation is currently being modified", and gives me the form to enter the reservation number and sail date again.

Even better -- the old login URL that used to work now redirects to the new login page, so I can't fall back on that.

Really great job there, Royal IT. Ab-so-freaking-LUTE-LY great job. :40_rage:

Try this link, still works for me, I just logged in 

https://secure.royalcaribbean.co.uk/mycruises/login.do?default=false&cS=MHDR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding why they are not rolling back , it might be they already pass this point , meaning the new DB already have new customer records and they did not plan how to migrate it back to the old DB.

But I start to think something else happened here , I think they not really planned to start and use the new site but some disaster happened to the the old DB and records were deleted , moving to the new DB was the work around.

All the required adding information we are being ask to enter leading me there.

Anyway this just my theori , hope I am wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think they could roll back if that wanted. If I log in on the U.K. website I’m greeted with the old website and can access most stuff before being redirected back to the US site and having to log into the new website. 

I really think it’s just a lapse of planning, they are trying to merge the different cruise lines into one website, (clelberity,princess etc) and I just think there were some comparability issues.

If they rolled back now, it would just destroy their progress. I do think the last week has been damage control. Now you can access the cruise planner and cruise documentation, just requires you to enter all your information again. A few days ago you couldn’t even log in! :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Traveler said:

got an email few hours ago that my cruise document is ready and a link to download it.

The link brings me to the new login page and from there I do no have any clue how to get to it , any idea ? 

(I tried also to do online check in but got error message) 

Can you attach a screen shot?

I just go to the main Royal website, select "Already Booked" then "Online Check-In".  From this page I enter my name, reservation number, ship and sail date.  No issues.

5aaac0eee00dc_RCIonlinecheckin.thumb.jpeg.b4e8d15da61a265014d136d3bcb53a60.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, twangster said:

Can you attach a screen shot?

I just go to the main Royal website, select "Already Booked" then "Online Check-In".  From this page I enter my name, reservation number, ship and sail date.  No issues.

5aaac0eee00dc_RCIonlinecheckin.thumb.jpeg.b4e8d15da61a265014d136d3bcb53a60.jpeg

Thanks, 

I tried it again now and it went OK , 

Still do not find how to go to my cruise documents but I guess , online check in will be enough. I wanted to look on it as I am on guaranty room and when I got the email which indicate mu documents are ready I thought they might assign me the room already 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CaptTJ said:

Try this link, still works for me, I just logged in 

https://secure.royalcaribbean.co.uk/mycruises/login.do?default=false&cS=MHDR

Thank you for the UK link.  It has the old website/design and I can log in with my old username/password with everything there like before.  I guess they only want the US/Canada to feel the pain of beta testing their "blanket blank" new website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Thanks, 

I tried it again now and it went OK , 

Still do not find how to go to my cruise documents but I guess , online check in will be enough. I wanted to look on it as I am on guaranty room and when I got the email which indicate mu documents are ready I thought they might assign me the room already 

As soon as I log in above, I get this screen:

5aaac5019e51b_onlinecheckin2.thumb.jpg.6562c0d0c00343c287c8e0a12be3e393.jpg

Links for Set Sail passes and Luggage tags are right there - the PRINT buttons.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, twangster said:

Links for Set Sail passes and Luggage tags are right there - the PRINT buttons.

Notice all of the green check marks in the front boxes, all of those have to be filled in for all guest before the print buttons will come up.

I would help test for you but I'm to far out to fill in my documentation yet.

The Set Sail Pass and the luggage tags are all you want, the other cruise document is the cruise book.

You can always call and ask if your room is assigned yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Traveler said:

got an email few hours ago that my cruise document is ready and a link to download it.

The link brings me to the new login page and from there I do no have any clue how to get to it , any idea ? 

(I tried also to do online check in but got error message) 

When is your cruise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PrincipalTinker said:

Are there other people who still cannot access their upcoming cruises? I am 30 days away and now the other older links no longer work. I am getting so very, very discouraged.

Try this one, just plug in your username & password, hopefully it will work for you: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/mycruises/processLogin.do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rjac - that link works best for me. I can access my 2nd cruise that won't show up on the new platform. IMO the site is now on a basic functionality basis and using these backdoor threads is the only way to get things done. It really is a head scratcher on why this continues to not get fixed. I truly can't imagine a person who normally cruises a different line, to visit the site and succefully book a cruise. No less schedule excursions. Anyway... it's fun to see my first ever post on this blog flourishing with opinions and visitors. It's a pity the subject matter isn't more fun....like a Royal Suite and a hot tub on the balcony!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...