Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

My current situation!


Recommended Posts

Just now, Lauren said:

Port of call: Nassau, Bahamas.  Five, yes, I said 5! ships in port today. Carnival Sensation, Norwegian Sky, Norwegian Breakaway, Carnival Pride and our beast, Anthem of the Seas. 

SPhotoEditor-20180221_153301.jpg

Ah yes, the Carnival Pride ...... Good for knocking down gangways

IMG_1110.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2018 at 10:29 AM, Matt said:

Judging by all the jackets, that looks like Cape Liberty.

Regardless, stick me in that mess any day if that means I'm getting on a cruise ship shortly thereafter!!!!

Correct, as always. @Matt. It is Cape Liberty, it was a balmy 36 degrees when we parked the car Saturday  morning. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

It's always such a mob scene. My wife's primary reason for advancing in Crown and Anchor is to skip some of these lines....

I must confess, hubby and I won a cruise about 15 yrs ago, it was on the Carnival Triumph, it was my first cruise. It took until 2016 before I agreed to cruise again. That was on the Independence of the Seas, and now, I can't wait to book the next one, but I will wait until we get back because Hubby will become Platinum after this one,  I will gladly ride his coat tails out of gold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, monctonguy said:

Just get their earlier...then you avoid that kinda mess! Doesn't matter what your CA status is!

 

I have never been in a place like that in 11 cruises so far with Royal....10am arrival makes a big difference I guess!

 

I second that!  We have always walked right on. The only time it was packed like that was our first cruise out of San Juan and we were newbies, didn't know any better, flew in the day of the cruise, arrived at the pier at 1pm and it was crazy!  Now we show up at 9:30am-10am just like @monctonguy :12_slight_smile:

Now that I've said this, watch it back fire on me at Cape Liberty in two weeks lol

Hope you are having a great time @Lauren

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Just get their earlier...then you avoid that kinda mess! Doesn't matter what your CA status is!

 

I have never been in a place like that in 11 cruises so far with Royal....10am arrival makes a big difference I guess!

 

But I would do anything to be on that ship now and in Nassau...

Doesn't always work. On last year's Liberty of the Seas cruise, we arrived early to board the ship.... Only to find out they were delayed by fog, and wound up sitting on the cold pavement for hours because Galveston Port Authority has no provision for storing luggage for us. The lesson learned is we don't leave the hotel unless we see the ship. But the line wasn't awful, either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

Doesn't always work. On last year's Liberty of the Seas cruise, we arrived early to board the ship.... Only to find out they were delayed by fog, and wound up sitting on the cold pavement for hours because Galveston Port Authority has no provision for storing luggage for us. The lesson learned is we don't leave the hotel unless we see the ship. But the line wasn't awful, either.

Galveston always has delays due to fog.  Best not to book any early flights on disembarkation day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jurrjurr said:

Galveston always has delays due to fog.  Best not to book any early flights on disembarkation day. 

We drive! Seriously, as the bus pulled away to take us to the port, other folks on the bus were getting alerts from Carnival about the delay. We didn't get any alerts for quite some time. Live and learn. If we had a way to ditch the luggage, we'd have had a ball on The Strand while we waited. Or just drank coffee in the hotel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, monctonguy said:

Might be anther good reason I prob wont cruise from Galveston......cost of flights...followed by distance from airport....followed by delays and cancellations by fog.....bit of a crapshoot it sounds like it can be.

Never experienced a cancellation, but the cruise last year we spent the first night at the dock in Galveston. I didn't care as long as I was on the ship! However, being able to drive instead of fly means we will probably always consider Galveston and New Orleans as a possibility. If I had to fly, unless it was a lot cheaper, I'd probably hit somewhere in Florida...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Might be anther good reason I prob wont cruise from Galveston......cost of flights...followed by distance from airport....followed by delays and cancellations by fog.....bit of a crapshoot it sounds like it can be.

Agreed again.  Unless they put a brand new ship there (cause that's my weakness), I cannot justify the cost of flights and distance to the pier to cruise out of Galveston.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Agreed again.  Unless they put a brand new ship there (cause that's my weakness), I cannot justify the cost of flights and distance to the pier to cruise out of Galveston.

I don't understand the strategy of keeping Liberty there year after year. There's only so many ports, so the ship has to be part of the attraction...

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really a matter of Geography.  Sure for the East Coasters, Florida is easier but for folks like me in Colorado, Galveston is a no brainer (for now).  It is easy to get to and cheap!  If you are a seasoned cruiser than Galveston probably isn't for you, but for newbies it is a great way to get hooked.  I did my first cruise on Liberty in January (Coz, Cay, Jam) and enjoyed it and Galveston so much we have already signed up for Lady Liberty again to do her alternate cruise (Roatan, Belize, Coz).

We loved Galveston (even though i am notoriously anti-Texas),  I actually liked that their beaches were "simpler" and lacked the glitz of Miami (and this was in January!!).

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

Never experienced a cancellation, but the cruise last year we spent the first night at the dock in Galveston. I didn't care as long as I was on the ship! However, being able to drive instead of fly means we will probably always consider Galveston and New Orleans as a possibility. If I had to fly, unless it was a lot cheaper, I'd probably hit somewhere in Florida...

I believe there's a Panama Canal itinerary  from Long Beach, CA to Galveston, TX through a different cruise line. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jurrjurr said:

I believe there's a Panama Canal itinerary  from Long Beach, CA to Galveston, TX through a different cruise line. 

I would love that! There's also a re-positioning cruise to Barcelona. It's just that I can't be gone more then 7 days at a time. Hello, Retirement? Can you hear me calling?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@jce2 @UkuleleCruiser Galveston and Liberty have become my go to, it's an 8 hour drive for me, but it's fun getting there. We were on Liberty in 2017, Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel, have one book this year in July, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, probably book another in 2019.

As stated above I like the laid back simplicity of the Galveston Island, I kind of correlate it back to the 17th street corridor in Fort Lauderdale, except not as busy.

Of course I haven't been stranded by fog yet either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good pricing for Liberty...and sometimes Vision.....BUT, cost of flights more than make up for that compared for us flying into Florida.

 

Now I know they have Uber/Lyft but before that, it was quite pricey/distance to get from the airport to the port. Then on top of that its the risk of fog which seems to happen more often then in Florida(well maybe outside of Tampa but)

 

That being said, I would do anything to be on any Royal ship right about now...if I could drive a cpl hrs to a port, I would be cruising monthly at the minimum!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...