Discounts By Employement / Location

Wineo44

Royal used to offer discounts based upon the location that you lived.  Are there really discounts based upon location any longer?  Additionally they offer discounts for Miltary, EMS, Police, FIre,

Why not TEACHERS?

Edited by Wineo44
Left off an S

39 minutes ago, Wineo44 said:

Royal used to offer discounts based upon the location that you lived.  Are there really discounts based upon location any longer?  Additionally they offer discounts for Miltary, EMS, Police, FIre,

Why not TEACHERS?

I hear you!!!   I think those type of discounts along with the "Sales" they run are a crap shoot.  Hell, same with Crown & Anchor Society Exclusive Rates .  I sure wish they would go back to the way the used to, sending out a pamphlet of the cruises that offer this discount.

Most of the time the Vet discount and the C&A discount and the sale discount are never combinable.  In other words, you have to pick which discount is the better deal if you have the option.  Sometimes you may get OBC thrown in.  You always have to look at your options.              

1 hour ago, monorailmedic said:

This is what Carnival has done for years across all brands.  HAL, CCL, Princess and going to Half Moon or Amber Cove?  Gotta pay for those drinks.

10 cruises with them, I know oh too well.  There are two things I loved about RCI drink packages.  It covers their private destinations and not everyone over 21 in a cabin has to buy it.   

1 out of 2 isn't bad...

If someone asked why Military they would be criticized.  So Why teachers you ask.  Well I'm married to one for over 16 years.  For what she gets paid and what she puts up with from 20+ sets of parents, kids who think they own the world and are entitled to everything.  They are building the people of tomorrow just like our military is protecting and Fire and Police protect as well.  Yes, she choose to be a teacher cause she thought she could make a difference, she chooses to help ones that need it, she puts her life on the line daily.  She is a parent to 5th graders who don't have one.  She is a shoulder to cry on when someone gets hurt, she is their friend, mother, and most of all their teacher.  Think of the teachers you had and who inspired you.  Just because they may have taught you or not, the word teach is sometimes under utilized. 

14 minutes ago, Wineo44 said:

Military doesn't always get discounts, and not everyone will criticize for asking that question.. My husband is retired Military, and there weren't any discounts from RC. The only time we were offered a discount was from another cruise line. My sisters husband works for the state department, and although they are government employees, they do not get the recognition that the military gets. So I ask "why not state department?" We can ask "why" for almost every career, and we won't know the answer. Maybe someday they will recognize teachers. I hope that happens. 

I don't think it's a matter of "floodgates" opening.  From my own personal experience there are some cruise lines out there that offer a Military and Civil Service discount.  You have to provide documentation to show that you are a government employee to qualify.   Teachers happen to fall into that.  I would think that doctors, nurses, etc. would qualify also as long as they are government employees.  Royal does not do this but some of their competitors do.

On 10/27/2017 at 3:06 PM, Wineo44 said:

Why not TEACHERS?

I had a resident discount on the Liberty in January 2016. However, if you book far enough out, you usually get a better rate than any residency discount.

Some cruise lines do offer discounts to teachers, union members, and civil service employees; Royal just doesn't happen to be one of them.

I wouldn't either..or I would be a quick 20 min walk around and back on the ship. Its bad enough you have to pay for every day9even when long port days) never mind when they want to dump you off on as island for the day and make you pay there too. Maybe they should charge for the meals instead on the private islands and keep the drinks flowing a part of the package!