Checked In! And Photo Question

Just checked in for my May 4th Icon. Got a small upgrade from interior to interior plus. Best part, Deck 10 forward residential area. And I like forward. I actually enjoy the motion. Doesn't bother me. Helps me sleep. LOL.

Question. I took pictures of our spare passport photos for the photo portion. It didn't say approved or not. Just a blue button for "retake". Did my photos pass muster? 

Usually don't bother because they never seem good enough. But it was mentioned here to use spare passport photo for best chance at being accepted. I assume they were and retake was just an option? Not sure?

No big thing. Just curious.

22 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

If it let you continue it is likely ok.  If the people at the port don’t think your photo is appropriate they will redo it.

Personally I’ve never read of anyone using their passport photo.  

Using spare copy of passport was a suggestion from someone here who says it always gets accepted.

It will let anyone continue with or without acceptable photo, so that doesn't tell me if it worked.

I always just do at terminal, but it's been said if everything is in order in advance, you may get an express pass etc to directly board with no stops. Just not sure if the pictures worked or not since I don't usually bother to do in advance. 

I did a good copy and a not so great quality copy and system said nothing either way. LOL. So I really don't know? Even at port last time, 3 different people took our photos. Each said fine and to move forward. But the next stop, lady number 2 said let's do again. Then a third lady. LOL. We kept holding up hundreds of people.

Just wondering if anyone ever gets a thumbs up or something when uploading a pic?

56 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Using spare copy of passport was a suggestion from someone here who says it always gets accepted.

It will let anyone continue with or without acceptable photo, so that doesn't tell me if it worked.

I always just do at terminal, but it's been said if everything is in order in advance, you may get an express pass etc to directly board with no stops. Just not sure if the pictures worked or not since I don't usually bother to do in advance. 

I did a good copy and a not so great quality copy and system said nothing either way. LOL. So I really don't know? Even at port last time, 3 different people took our photos. Each said fine and to move forward. But the next stop, lady number 2 said let's do again. Then a third lady. LOL. We kept holding up hundreds of people.

Just wondering if anyone ever gets a thumbs up or something when uploading a pic?

I don't think it ever tells you on the app if its good enough, it just lets you continue, then the agents at the port determine whether they like it or not when you check in. 

23 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That's what I use. Not the actual passport, but a spare photo that was taken the last time I got a passport.

I would think that should work. You can view the photo in the app and just look at it subjectively to see if you would accept it if you were them. 

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

That's what I use. Not the actual passport, but a spare photo that was taken the last time I got a passport.

You are where I got the idea from. I dug out the spare copy of the photo from Walgreens and uploaded to laptop. I just thought if it was good enough the system would give some indication. Expecting to much of Royal's IT I guess. LOL.

But you would think if it's good enough for the passport office, it's good enough for Royal. 

Just devil's advocate here, but maybe they want a more recent photo since that is what they'll be using to verify your identity once on board. There might be some logic built in where it doesn't want a picture of a picture or something. When you scan on and off the ship, at bars, etc, it's the pic you upload or get taken at the port that pops up. A passport photo could be 9+ years old depending on when your passport renewal date is. I always just take a selfie against a blank white wall in my bathroom and upload to the app. That's been accepted every time so far. 

7 minutes ago, Brando95 said:

Just devil's advocate here, but maybe they want a more recent photo since that is what they'll be using to verify your identity once on board. There might be some logic built in where it doesn't want a picture of a picture or something. When you scan on and off the ship, at bars, etc, it's the pic you upload or get taken at the port that pops up. A passport photo could be 9+ years old depending on when your passport renewal date is. I always just take a selfie against a blank white wall in my bathroom and upload to the app. That's been accepted every time so far. 

Photo only 2 years old and customs allows for 11 years. No change in appearance.

My question then to you is...When you took your picture, did the system give you any indication it was acceptable by there parameters?

I upload the same photo each time (I think the app says it should be taken in the last 3 months). It is only used to identify you while you are on the ship and during shore tours, so as long as you look the same/similar, I don't think Royal cares.

I don't think the issue is how old it is as much as what the background looks like. They want a clear pic with a neutral background. I took mine with light yellow walls behind me.... We'll see if they retake them when I board.

I will be checking in at midnight tonight and will take a selfie for my photo but what do I do about my family members photos? Can I check in and get my time then add photos of them the next day through the app? I don't want to hold up the check in process but I also don't want to have to round my family up for a midnight photo session 😂

1 minute ago, Married2Grumpy said:

I will be checking in at midnight tonight and will take a selfie for my photo but what do I do about my family members photos? Can I check in and get my time then add photos of them the next day through the app? I don't want to hold up the check in process but I also don't want to have to round my family up for a midnight photo session 😂

You can check you and the rest of family in at midnight and upload the photos later. You can retake the photos as many times as you like until the checkin closes.

27 minutes ago, fireclan said:

Another option is to skip the photos and they will snap your photos at embarkation.  Takes a few seconds per person.

Ehh, some of those port personel are so darn slow with logging in, taking the photo, switching to the next person, etc.

I'd rather waste my time at home taking the photo than in the terminal