What would you do? Unclean bathroom glasses

Context:

Anthem has had norovirus onboard for at least the past 2 weeks. This is not surprising as the Northeast has high numbers of this. Last week’s sailing they resorted to deep cleaning of the ship and “deep cleaning of cabins with reported cases”.

so I brought along wipes and spray for the 4 cabins in our party and did our own deep cleaning since we’ve no idea if our cabin had unreported cases or undeveloped cases. 

i noticed the glasses in my cabin did not have the little paper cap on them. I put them in the sink with a note requesting new glasses as these may not have been clean.  Mind you we ran the water in the sink for a day,washing etc,  before our attendant saw the note (due to scheduled cleaning).  I had a feeling the glasses would not be replaced so I put a sharpie mark along the bottom side.  Well the glasses had the paper cover  put o  them and put back on the shelf but the mark was still there! This indicates the glasses were not replaced!

so, what do you do?
Personally I don’t want the attendant in my cabin again.  I feel given the awareness of norovirus this is gross conduct.  Hubby wants the room made up. 
if you report this you have a disgruntled employee coming into your cabin.  I can’t imagine what “get even” thing might happen, -potential for him to purposely run some norovirus infected item on our items, )crazy  to think but it’s possible!.)
Wait for the end of the sailing and put the comment on the survey?
Other recommendations?

if you use your glasses do the attendants replace them? Or just put them back and put new covers on then?

I don't think you are overreacting at all. You made a specific request that is absolutely within their capacity, for a safety/health reason - these cups should be replaced when used regardless, but certainly if you ask - and you have no way to know if they were also left from the prior guests. Noro stinks and can be very dangerous when you are on land but when you are on a cruise, it additionally ruins your vacation and wastes your vacation time and money.

I do think that if you put the cups out of the bathroom as @cedricmr said would get them replaced, but the issue now is trust. You don't trust your cabin attendant. If you do decide to complain to someone while still on board, perhaps you can ask for a swap? 

BTW, why did you have a feeling that they wouldn't be replaced? Were there other issues that you picked up on?

10 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

BTW, why did you have a feeling that they wouldn't be replaced? Were there other issues that you picked up on?

No other issue but I know the ship is on heightened cleaning.  Seeing that the glasses had no covers made me suspect they were leftover.  On this particular ship I had a cabin with no toilet paper upon embarking (can you spare a square?) and no towels another time.  So it’s either new staff issues, lack of time issues or poor work.  Based on those things I felt the glasses had been overlooked and I was hoping for fresh glasses, as asked, but realize the “easy way” could be to just put caps so I marked the one glass where it’s not noticeable.

12 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

I think this is an over reaction, however you are certainly entitled to it. 

I don't think the paper cap on the water glasses has much bearing on Norovirus transmission

It would if they were not removed between sailings. I don’t know if the cleaners overlooked the glasses or the attendant forgot the lids on fresh glasses.  These people are overworked.  If they had cases of known Noro in the cabins they service those cabins received extra cleaning attention/which must add to their already stressful prep of 25 cabins between sailings.  I prefer to err on the side of caution, however you can call it overreaction, I’m not offended.  

First, as someone who travels almost every week for work, I absolutely refuse to use the coffeemaker and glass glasses left in the room.  Both are notoriously disgusting.  That being said, honestly, these folks are so overworked and overwhelmed at times, rather than file a complaint, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt - Most likely English isn't their first language and they may well have not fully understood your request in writing (vs. verbally).  Approach them kindly and directly and express your concern.  I'd be willing to bet you'd have the cleanest cabin in your group going forward.  

1 hour ago, fishernrex said:

Most likely English isn't their first language and they may well have not fully understood your request in writing (vs. verbally). 

Reminds me of a trip years ago (before cruising became the go-to) at an all-inclusive resort in Cozumel. My sister-in-law kept asking the housekeeper for "extra" towels and the housekeeper dutifully replaced the towels (no doubt confused as to why this crazy American wanted the towels changed when those towels were perfectly clean). A quick conversation between me and the housekeeper en español eliminated the confusion and got her the additional towels.

I would have a conversation with the deck supervisor.  Ask for them specifically, that is who the cabin attendant reports to.  

Explain how you marked the glasses and they were not replaced despite your request.  Let them manage their crew member and coach them to do better.  

BTW - there is a national noro outbreak going on.  It's in the news but largely being ignored because the media hasn't yet tagged cruise ship to the noro headlines.

https://www.today.com/video/cdc-issues-warning-of-norovirus-outbreak-throughout-us-205002309648

Feb. 27, 2024
A norovirus outbreak is impacting communities nationwide and the CDC says its crucial that everyone take precautions from the highly contagious stomach bug. NBC’s Dr. Tara Narula breaks down the symptoms and ways to stay safe on TODAY.