Annual Cruise Insurance Policy~Who do you use? Recommend?

I started sailing in 2016, 2019 with Royal. I had never once considered insurance because I thought it was not fiscally prudent. Fast forward to now I'm thinking our luck is bound to run out & I don't want to financially ruin us IF one of us became ill etc. We drive to port so never worry about flights but at our advanced age....I just would feel better. 2024 comes with 3 sailings and I want to make a prudent choice, so can you help a girl out?

Thanks again everyone! 

You absolutely need travel insurance with med evac coverage! For example,  I had a coworker that was mugged in Tianimin Square in China. He couldn't get medical attention without repaying. Then a medical evac to the US was $180,000 USD. 

I use Allianz. An annual policy is reasonable, but I've never had to make a claim so I can't really comment on how good they are in that department. 

My annual policy, for the last 5 years or so, has been with Trawick International

Have had 2 small claims and was pleased with the process and resolution.

The nice thing about most annual policies is they cover a myriad of things ANYTIME you are a set distance from home (mine is 100 miles)

Thank you everyone who responded. I'm thinking of waiting until final payment for our first sailing and get it then, just roll it into the cost of the sailing, get it and forget it. One last question with the annual policy, start date should be embarkation day of first sailing? It looks like you can schedule when to start. Thank you all again for sharing your experiences. Here's hoping we never need it! 

We have used GeoBlue Travel Insurance for our annual insurance for the last several years as it works with our corporate insurance policy. It works for us but this not not to say it is for everyone. Since we cruise about once a month it is very affordable for us and covers us for all the intangibles that may occur on our travels. Be sure to research all your options and choose what works for you.

Edited by CrznTxn
Correction

1 hour ago, CrznTxn said:

We have used GeoBlue Travel Insurance for our annual insurance for the last several years as it works with our corporate insurance policy. It works for us but this not not to say it is for everyone. Since we cruise about once a month it is very affordable for us and covers us for all the intangibles that may occur on our travels. Be sure to research all your options and choose what works for you.

@CrznTxn Can you say a little more about GeoBlue? I just bought a supplemental policy from them and thought it was only for health issues abroad - didn't realize you could do the whole travel insurance through them. Was it a specific type of policy related to your corporate benefits, or available to anyone? We bought a plan (just single trip for our cruise in March) through Insure My Trip and then I wanted more medical coverage (specifically the med evac) so bought an additional plan with GeoBlue but didn't see where I might have expanded that coverage beyond health coverage. 

6 hours ago, Neesa said:

Thank you everyone who responded. I'm thinking of waiting until final payment for our first sailing and get it then, just roll it into the cost of the sailing, get it and forget it. One last question with the annual policy, start date should be embarkation day of first sailing? It looks like you can schedule when to start. Thank you all again for sharing your experiences. Here's hoping we never need it! 

We have ours start in January, just another bill for the year. With the annual plan I don't think it matters when it starts, but I would investigate that.

6 hours ago, Neesa said:

I'd start it the date you leave your house. 

We use Allianz all trips premier. We increase cancellation coverage to $10k to cover the “bucket list” cruise for that year. 

Annual covers any trip over 100 miles from home. 

I generally start the policy the day we leave the house. Although I’ll be renewing back to back years since we’re trying to knock out the bucket list

2 minutes ago, Neesa said:

Again thanks so much for all this fantastic info! I'm doing my research now! So far all 3 insurers mentioned are in the 450 plus range, for an annual this seems fair. There are 3 of us!

Ours runs about $1,000 but again that’s because I insure the most expensive cruise and have to increase cancellation coverage 

50 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

When I price annual, it seems $1000-$1600 for a family of 3 seems to be the norm, at least for any tangible coverage that would be key for international travel.

I just ran a test for Allianz All Trips Premier,  which seems Good to me. Cost for a family of 4 living in Texas was $435 for the year.

4 minutes ago, steverk said:

I just ran a test for Allianz All Trips Premier,  which seems Good to me. Cost for a family of 4 living in Texas was $435 for the year.

But is that with a trip cancellation coverage of only $2000 per year?

I like to have enough to ensure total cost of one cruise is covered.

22 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Yes! That’s the key to good coverage. Insure based on the most expensive trip. 

If you book suites, have airline tickets, hotel or especially going overseas, make sure you have enough cancellation coverage and are good with covered cancellation reasons. To get “cancel for any reason” coverage, you have to secure insurance within a designated time frame, usually 14 days. 

22 minutes ago, Jill said:

If you book suites, have airline tickets, hotel or especially going overseas, make sure you have enough cancellation coverage and are good with covered cancellation reasons. To get “cancel for any reason” coverage, you have to secure insurance within a designated time frame, usually 14 days. 

Exactly. And this year the replacement cruise for what would have been the Panama Canal group cruise is by far the most expensive cruise I've ever booked since it was so late and RC didn't exactly have any sympathy for us.

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I guess it depends on how you view insurance and how likely you are to have to use cancellation insurance. 

In my view, insurance should be purchased to protect against catastrophic, low probability events you simply cannot afford to lose. Med evac from a cruise ship is a great example. 

On the other hand, if a cancelled trip is going to break you financially,  then why are you going at all?

7 hours ago, steverk said:

On the other hand, if a cancelled trip is going to break you financially,  then why are you going at all?

Insurance has nothing to do with whether or not a canceled trip will break me. It has everything to do with safeguarding an investment. And if paying an extra couple hundred can protect a several thousand dollar investment, then that's a no brainer.

I use Travel Insured International, primary because they partner with my property insurance company. Be sure to check your own property insurance company for something similar. Look for "travel perks".

I pay about $350 a year for an annual plan for a family of 3. I also have the option of buying additional coverage on a trip-by-trip basis, like if I want cancel for any reason coverage on a specific trip.

Last March I did get the "opportunity" to experience the claim process. A family member had a bad reaction to a new prescription and suffered severe vomiting. They eventually went to the medical center and was was treated with anti-nausea medication and an IV. Total cost was just under $1000 dollars.

I did not have any trouble getting reimbursed. I just made sure to hold onto the invoice I got from the ship's medical center. The insurance company needed proof of the charge from the ship as well as proof that we actually paid it. Entire process was done online and I had the money in about a week.

This is something that could happen to anyone and was so glad to have the coverage. I figure the policy paid for itself and the next two years of coverage.

Great info, I'm still digging into this today. I'm just having difficulty as for example it says trip cancelation for "covered reasons" well I look everywhere for these covered reasons which I can't locate, Google, FAQ on website etc. I won't purchase something until I know all of the specifics, not sure why it's so hard. 

I just want to make sure I do my due diligence before purchasing. Why so secretive? 

Thanks for the property insurance tip as well.

15 hours ago, Jill said:

Generally speaking, CFAR coverage is not offered in an annual plan. 

12 hours ago, Neesa said:

Great info, I'm still digging into this today. I'm just having difficulty as for example it says trip cancelation for "covered reasons" well I look everywhere for these covered reasons which I can't locate, Google, FAQ on website etc. I won't purchase something until I know all of the specifics, not sure why it's so hard. 

I just want to make sure I do my due diligence before purchasing. Why so secretive? 

The policy language is specific to the product sold and the state it is sold in. Like other insurance products you will have the ability to review once the purchase is made and be able to cancel if you aren't happy with the policy.

Since I know you are in Florida I would be glad to email you my policy with Allianz so you can read through it. Just message me your email address.

Just to add on to the discussion:  we started annual trip insurance with Allianz in 2022, set it up for Nov 1-Nov 1 because we had several big trips in that time frame and it seemed to make the most sense.  Fast forward to this July and a surprise diagnosis of stage 4 cancer for my husband.  We had to cancel a very expensive trip for September, past the point where we would only get 50 % back of the cost.  Allianz issued a check very quickly to cover all of that.  

By fall, a treatment plan was in place and we are able to take the big trip we had booked for this January.  If we had not had annual insurance, we would not have been able to insure this trip because, with a preexisting condition, you have to buy (far more expensive) trip insurance within the first 14 days of deposit, and we were already well beyond that point when he was diagnosed.  Luckily, we were able to simply renew the annual policy, so we've had uninterrupted trip insurance and the preexisting condition is covered.  

We are only in our 50s, this was not on our radar at all - we thought we might need the insurance for breaking a leg on a hike or something.  But we were glad we had it.

On 1/21/2024 at 12:40 PM, jbrinkm said:

@CrznTxn Can you say a little more about GeoBlue? I just bought a supplemental policy from them and thought it was only for health issues abroad - didn't realize you could do the whole travel insurance through them. Was it a specific type of policy related to your corporate benefits, or available to anyone? We bought a plan (just single trip for our cruise in March) through Insure My Trip and then I wanted more medical coverage (specifically the med evac) so bought an additional plan with GeoBlue but didn't see where I might have expanded that coverage beyond health coverage. 

Here is the excerpt from our TREKKER policy:

image.thumb.png.6c4648b61763e955b0ea053ba3852935.png

There is also a lost luggage claim form on their website.

• 3 weeks later...