🌟💫⭐️A “Starry” Christmas - Harmony Dec 24-31, 2023⭐️💫🌟

Jax

Well, it’s our last night at home and I think we are ready. I always forget how hectic the final days leading up to a vacation are.  Hair, mani, pedi, having house cleaned, packing which you know is a lot 😂, and of course the trial run on the self tanner.  It wasn’t a total disaster but I can definitely do better. I’m not orange so that is a plus. 🤣

In other news, Lindsay was worried that ALL our luggage wouldn’t fit in my SUV so he did a trial run tonight. It required some good Tetris skills on his part but it fits!! 🙌🙌  If I remember I will take a picture tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, Jax said:

I always forget how hectic the final days leading up to a vacation are.  Hair, mani, pedi, having house cleaned, packing which you know is a lot 😂, and of course the trial run on the self tanner.

Thanks for the reminder of how thankful I am to be a guy with very short hair who is content with his pale-ness & lack of nail regimen & fortunate enough to live an hour from port.

The planning & packing some of you do for the Caribbean (you also have a land portion at least) rivals our prep for our 18 days in Alaska back in 2018, lol.

More power to you. Safe travels. And congrats on not going full Oompa-Loompa!

On 12/14/2023 at 3:20 PM, Jax said:

The question is will I  leave with only my 5 included digitals?   😬 

You most definitely will not! lol

On 12/14/2023 at 6:19 PM, Jax said:

I have employed a new strategy this year by numbering the suitcases 1-5

Just no comment lol. Hubby would send me to Timbuktu if I tried to bring that much luggage! 😆

21 hours ago, Jax said:

Anyone have a good self tanner story they want to share. 

Umm...avoid at all costs?

20 hours ago, Jax said:

Darn! Hopefully the key gets day 2 and star gets day 3. That way Lindsay could go to back to back sessions.  🤞

Wait...so you guys booked a private session day on top of the session that will be given to Star guests?

23 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Wait...so you guys booked a private session day on top of the session that will be given to Star guests?

Yup, we decided to book a private session on day 2 Christmas Day and will share the cost with our friends. Our thinking was it would be a fun activity to do on Christmas Day. I am hoping the star class session is on day 3 giving Lindsay and Reyd back to back sessions if they want to go. But I have a feeling it may be on the same day as our private session. Berty to confirm.  

45 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Umm...avoid at all costs?

Honestly I hate the smells associated with spray tans or self tanners. It seems to be universal to all of them. I was hoping this would be different but it isn’t. 😞 The face spray isn’t too bad and does give a glow. I haven’t tried the tinted lotion yet but plan to. The mousse is intense and requires some practice and skill I have not yet mastered. 😆 

48 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Just no comment lol. Hubby would send me to Timbuktu if I tried to bring that much luggage! 😆

😂 😂 

49 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

You most definitely will not! lol

I honestly don’t know which way this is gonna go. Stay tuned. 

7 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Thanks for the reminder of how thankful I am to be a guy with very short hair who is content with his pale-ness & lack of nail regimen & fortunate enough to live an hour from port.

I am sooo envious of you being close to multiple cruise ports. I see all the 💰 we would save in flights. 

7 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

The planning & packing some of you do for the Caribbean (you also have a land portion at least) rivals our prep for our 18 days in Alaska back in 2018, lol.

It is totally ridiculous 😆 but in my defense we are gone for 16 nights. Lol And we won’t bring up the included laundry service. 🤫 

All that talk of alpha alpha alpha over on @asquared17 blog became a reality for us last night. Oh boy it was a crazy final night at home.  I feel ok posting about it now that I know my dad is ok. Without getting into too much detail, we were over at my parents for supper and shortly after our arrival  my dad had a health emergency causing us to call 911.  After many tests it was determined it was a side effect of new medication he just started taking. He is back at home this morning and doing well.  We are so grateful for this news; I had thoughts of it being much worse. It was scary for everyone but more so for our son Reyd. I have told our family no more health emergencies while we are away!! My heart and mental state can’t take it! 

47 minutes ago, Jax said:

I am sooo envious of you being close to multiple cruise ports.

I've spent a total of like 15 hours in your fine country (in Vancouver on the way back from from Alaska). I moved to Florida in 2000. Based on that vast amount of experience in both places I'll go out on a limb and say that living near ports is one of the only benefits to living here, lol.

49 minutes ago, Jax said:

It is totally ridiculous 😆 but in my defense we are gone for 16 nights.

I did make sure to mention that you had a land portion. You deserve credit for all that extra time besides the cruise.

51 minutes ago, Jax said:

And we won’t bring up the included laundry service

That's funny. I keep mentioning our Alaska trip b/c it's the one long, unfrugal trip we've taken. It was incredibly well-planned, almost entirely by my wife and an outside company, but I did find us the world's craziest laundromat in a very small town towards the end of our land portion so we could wash virtually everything about halfway through the 18 days.

Throwing t-shirts and a mathematically planned # of undergarments in one suitcase for our standard short drive for a 7N cruise and flying somewhere far away for a stay of over 2 weeks are very different animals.

The Vacay is officially underway! 
We are all checked in at the Marriott in Terminal hotel at YYC. We live about an hour from YYC airport so we generally stay here especially in winter months.  We changed things up a bit and booked a king airport view room with a rollaway bed hoping we all sleep better than with the 2 queen bed option.  I will let you know how that goes! We made a quick stop at our chiropractors and then ate at Earls (one of our favorites) before dropping Lindsay off downtown for the night. The Tampa Bay Lightning are in town tonight and their coach Jon Cooper is a former Hound (Notre Dame in Wilcox Sask) so he is meeting up with a bunch of other former Hounds (Lindsay being one of them) after the game.  No idea when he will get back to the hotel tonight so another good reason to stay here before our flight. There could be a bit of this happening 🍻🍺

IMG_0561.jpeg

IMG_0563.jpeg

IMG_0562.jpeg

8 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

That's funny. I keep mentioning our Alaska trip b/c it's the one long, unfrugal trip we've taken. It was incredibly well-planned, almost entirely by my wife and an outside company, but I did find us the world's craziest laundromat in a very small town towards the end of our land portion so we could wash virtually everything about halfway through the 18 days.

I hear ya. If we didn’t have laundry included in star class we would be doing the exact same thing! I often wonder what our stateroom attendant thinks when we arrive with all our dirty laundry and clean clothes that need pressing.  😂 Since we are on HM again this year I imagine it could sound something like  “oh no, they are back again “. 😆 

8 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Throwing t-shirts and a mathematically planned # of undergarments in one suitcase for our standard short drive for a 7N cruise and flying somewhere far away for a stay of over 2 weeks are very different animals.

Yes, I totally agree with this! 

Happening now. 
Image-1.thumb.jpeg.2c27b40d8193a67d60a8c203b76cc565.jpeg

Check in, security and customs was uneventful.

We are Nexus and for whatever reason (I think the backlog of applications due to Covid are the reason) they keep approving Reyd’s nexus applications without requiring a new photo. His photo is way back from grade 4 and it alwsys requires us to see an agent. And the agents always snicker at the photo. Today was no exception. 🤣 Now that he is 18 his picture is getting a bit ridiculous. 🤣

Some of you may find this funny. When the agent was processing our luggage Lindsay thought it would be funny to put his hand on the scale to see my reaction. Imagine my reaction to a 39kg weight. 🤯 The agent thought this was hilarious.  

So far our flight is on time. 

Premium food options were surprisingly good this flight.   
I had chicken cordon blu (not on menu but available), Reyd had the beef pot roast,  Lindsay only had the choice of ravioli which was a hard no for him. 😬 So they brought him a variety of options from economy.  We didn’t know this till later or I could have tried the ravioli. He is happy with his beer so it’s all good! 
In case you are wondering Reyd is enjoying his beers too. 🤣(I’m still adjusting to life with an 18 year old) 😆
Loving the legroom. 

IMG_0572.jpeg

IMG_0590.jpeg

IMG_0591.jpeg

20 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Strawberry lemonade beer??? Would go better with vodka perhaps

15 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

was about to say to mix with some tequila 😂

Well it looks like no flightfud for Reyd. 😆
Words to live by: 
“Booze then beer you are in the clear, Beer to booze then you lose”. 

I am shocked; we landed early.  🙌🏻🙌🏻
Premium Includes priority luggage but at IAH it meant we got our bags last. 😣 So annoying after a long travel day. 
When we went to load Into our full size SUV we noticed the back seat headrests were missing and no where to be found. And as luck would have it that was their last full size SUV. 🤦‍♀️🤣 The manager went over and above and offered us a heavily discounted brand new premium SUV crossover…a VW Atlas I think.  It still accommodates our luggage so off we went.  On our way to The Woodlands now and will check back after we check in to our hotel.  

All checked in at Hilton Embassy Suites at The Woodlands.  
I mentioned last night they upgraded us to a lake view room. I will show the view tomorrow in the daylight but I think the view will be very nice.  They offer quite a few nice amenities; evening bar service 2 drinks per person, free parking and a buffet or made to order breakfast daily from 6-10am.  There are lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance. All in all not a bad place to stay for a couple nights on points.  This room can sleep up to 5-6 people with the sofa bed. 

IMG_0603.jpeg

IMG_0601.jpeg

IMG_0605.jpeg

IMG_0607.jpeg

IMG_0602.jpeg

Complimentary Breakfast 

This was the most impressive complimentary breakfast we have ever had. There was a buffet portion as well as a made to order station for omelettes, eggs and avocada toast.  Everything was well stocked.  Definitely a 10/10.  
Sorry, forgot to take pics.  

1 hour ago, Sweety said:

Have fun before your cruise, during your cruise and after your cruise. Memories are the best when traveling with family. I will be at Next cruise on December 22, booking two future cruises,

Thank you ❤️ And yay for you and your new cruise bookings! So fun to book new cruise. 

Just catching up! Your itinerary sounds ambitious (and exhausting to this chick).

How did the spray tan work out? I'm with you ... the smells are horrible and i never did get the hang of ankles, knees, and elbows. I did better when i exfoliated first, but just better, not great. We wound up getting a tanning bed with a timer for our basement... i know, it seemed like a good idea at the time ... my favorite cousin calls it the Shake n Bake. 

Anyway, i think i will have to include #underpantsgate for Batman's eulogy some day. He will never live that down here. 🤣 At least the glorious part is that he's comfortably Clueless 🙈! However, Lindsey's 'turn them inside out' method is also 😂

2 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Just catching up! Your itinerary sounds ambitious (and exhausting to this chick).

I agree! Thankfully there is a fair amount of driving this week so I can rest up for next week!! “Vacation Lindsay” can be exhausting. lol 

How did the spray tan work out? I'm with you

Ok with the mousse.  I need more patience and practice with the application.  The face spray is actually quite nice. But the smell, although subtle is gross.  I still need to try the tinted lotion. 

Anyway, i think i will have to include #underpantsgate for Batman's eulogy some day. He will never live that down here. 🤣 At least the glorious part is that he's comfortably Clueless 🙈! However, Lindsey's 'turn them inside out' method is also 😂

I will forever think of Batman when it comes to underwear stories. 🤣🤣

Everything is better when it’s 23C. At home we rely on heaters in the winter months and are hitting the balls into a snow covered landing area.  I particularly liked beating Lindsay & Reyd. Lindsay is use to this but Reyd, not so much. +1 for mom today 🤣 It was too funny; Reyd cautioned me a couple times not to hurt my back.  

IMG_0620.jpeg

5 hours ago, Jax said:

Vacation Lindsay” can be exhausting

🤣🤣 We probably need to merge Lyndsay and Batman for a nice, happy vacation medium. I'm getting the feeling he's a go, go, go? If I'm reading that wrong, ignore the short blonde behind the curtain  and discontinue reading! 😅

Batman's favorite saying is "i don't NEED to..."

He never "needs" to do anything.  I have to say, " i know you don't 'need' to, but I'd like to.  Can you please come with me?"

And that's how i won an 11-night Odyssey cruise in his last favorite stateroom (on HIS birthday, no less). That, and Genie Leticia helped after the fact. 😄😄

Back to regular scheduled cruise content. Genie news 🧞‍♂️🧞‍♂️

Berty sent a tentative dining schedule that looks like this: 

Night 1 CK, Night 2 Chops (Formal night), Night 3 Jaime’s (Casual), Night 4 Hibachi (Caribbean night), Night 5 150 CP (Country night), Night 6 Chops (Formal night) and Night 7 Jaime’s (White night). Noticeably absent is Wonderland. The concept does not appeal to us so we are skipping it again.  We may try to do dessert there one night but that’ll be a game day decision and depend on whether Berty can tuck us in a quiet corner because Reyd says he doesn’t want to watch any of the food experiences.  Lol 
Our preferred dining time is 6pm, initially Hossain mentioned 5:15 to 5:30 and following my chat with Berty we settled on 5:45pm (exception being Hibachi which is at 7pm). That should allow plenty of time to get to entertainment. 

Berty heard back from the F&B director and clarified the upcharge on specialty dining at Chops, Jaime’s and 150 CP on Dec 24/25th for our friends with the unlimited dining package. The extra charge is $49.99 pp.  It is included for star class. I think our friends will eat on their own those nights because paying the upcharge is pricey considering the price of the UDP. 

Berty is waiting for a confirmed show schedule from the cruise director team and once he has it he will incorporate it into our schedule. This is not uncommon for holiday sailings.  Things always seem to be finalized quite last minute.  

Berty will schedule a time for the private photo session on Night 2 just before dinner. 

2 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

We probably need to merge Lyndsay and Batman for a nice, happy vacation medium. I'm getting the feeling he's a go, go, go? If I'm reading that wrong, ignore the short blonde behind the curtain  and discontinue reading!

You nailed it! The funny thing is in regular life he is in bed by 9pm and turns into Batman 😂 but Vacation Lindsay can tire out even Reyd. Thank goodness we have friends cruising with us that can help us out. 😆

12 hours ago, Jax said:

Berty heard back from the F&B director and clarified the upcharge on specialty dining at Chops, Jaime’s and 150 CP on Dec 24/25th for our friends with the unlimited dining package. The extra charge is $49.99 pp.  

Forgive the semi-hijack here.   I am dealing with the same situation (Adventure) so I will add my findings here.  It seems that the ships do whatever works for them and that there is no set "rule" for holiday meal night at specialty restaurants.

Our Suites Concierge got the same question from me....where can we dine on Christmas night since there is a special holiday meal that night ?  She also queried the F&B Manager and the answer in our case is...no worries, if you want to come to Chops, come on !  You can eat there even if you don't order the [expensive] special holiday meal.  Frankly, this is the first time I have heard this answer.  It's usually....you can dine anywhere EXCEPT Chops that night.

My guess is that they don't get enough people who want the special [expensive] meal and if they turned everyone away, the place would be a ghost town.  Maybe Harmony has a better track record.  It doesn't seem as though the other specialty restaurants have the special holiday meal...just Chops....at least, on Adventure.