sailing into an oasis for diamonds | 12.10.23-12.17.23 ~ oasis of the seas

asquared17

good morning from the pool deck!!

it is windy, but the weather appears far more promising than it has been in the past two days. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

we were out of the cabin by 7:45, and. headed up to deck 15 to confirm that el topo chieco was not, in fact, serving breakfast. alas.ย 

we got our beloved seats (best in the house, in my opinion) โ€” they are to the side of a casita by the power cell/toilet bowl water slide, and J diverted to the windjammer for breakfast. for chairhog and seat purposes, we often split our meals this way; also because we donโ€™t want our territory infringed upon ๐Ÿ˜†

amy and phil (boarding friends) just strolled by ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿป and they are great ๐Ÿ’š last night they told us they had a 5pm dinner reso and they also go to bed super early!! we felt SEEN ๐Ÿ˜‚

i do like the oasis pool deck setup better than any ship so far, including maybe symphony because we had a crowding issue there. i attribute this to the fact that the other ships had to build the deck around the slides but oasis had to build the slides around the deck with her amplification.

all this to say: the power cell see through window is higher than the actual pool deck โ€” so you donโ€™t have spectators crowding at the rail while you sit there to see their family because they can see them over your head. the casitas break up the rows of seating so youโ€™re not in one long conga line of loungers. and the hot tubs near the middle wings are perfect to break up the crowds a little more.

yes, oasis is the oldest in her class.

and yes, our mini fridge doesnโ€™t actually keep things cold.ย 

but this ship does have a lot of niche charm that i still prefer to to most of the others among her siblings and this is a big one for me, as it impacts the time we spend mostly relaxing. ๐Ÿ’š

in other good news, the lavazza machine was replaced with a brand new unit and J uses it happily every morning. it makes the cabin smell so good.

meanwhile, i sit here on the pool deck, sipping my cold brew happily and pondering my breakfast options.ย 

enjoy your morning, friends ๐Ÿ’š

IMG_7183.jpeg

IMG_7184.jpeg

IMG_7185.jpeg

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

pondering my breakfast options

When in doubt, I like to choose all of them. ๐Ÿ˜

last night they told us they had a 5pm dinner reso and they also go to bed super early!! we felt SEEN ๐Ÿ˜‚

FWIW, we are decades away from being vintages and we do early dinners and don't stay up super late most nights. I'm not saying we go to bed pre-9:00, mind you, but we don't generally stay up super late.

i think if we stayed in one place long enough to observe, we would see this kind of behavior more. but we so often operate in our own little bubble that we are oblivious

Can 100% relate to this.

11 hours ago, asquared17 said:

we made a pit stop at sorrentos and each got a fresh slice of plain pizza!! YUM.

They changed the ovens or how long they cook it or both. That pic makes it look nice and crispy and it was the same way on both Wonder and Allure for me over the past 6 months. I never had a problem grabbing a couple slices just b/c it's after 9 or I happen to be walking by on the way to trivia or something... but I really enjoyed it on my last 2 cruises.

ย 

Just popping in with very random thoughts, lol. Been busier than usual lately so I'm catching up in larger chunks.

3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

They changed the ovens or how long they cook it or both. That pic makes it look nice and crispy and it was the same way on both Wonder and Allure for me over the past 6 months. I never had a problem grabbing a couple slices just b/c it's after 9 or I happen to be walking by on the way to trivia or something... but I really enjoyed it on my last 2 cruises.

YES - I noted this too when I did my live blog in April. Really enjoyed the pizza from Sorrentos much more than before.ย 

4 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

When in doubt, I like to choose all of them. ๐Ÿ˜

you will be pleased to know i started my quest in the solarium. however it was like the jammer at high noon, only much smaller space with what felt like hundreds of people, so i fled, and QUICKLY, to the safety of the (canโ€™t believe iโ€™m SAYING THIS) windjammer.ย 

it might have also had something to do with the fact that:

a) i could not find any grapefruit andย 

b) the woman at the entrance who SCREECHED for her husband so loud, all activity ceased for a solid five seconds.ย 

ย 

thankfully the jammer had grapefruit in abundance and it was not super packed (comparatively speaking).ย 

this is a lazy morning crowd; it took until about 10am to see any signs of real life.ย 

ย 

i agree with you and @jbrinkmย about sorrentos โ€” it has definitely been improved in the past year or so. sorrentos was always a solid choice in the past, but the flavor and crunch factor has really been stepped up lately and it is quite delicious.ย 

3 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

You will be happy to know that Symphony just got their casitas added to the pool deck. They definitely weren't there when we sailed in February.

aw yissssssss ๐Ÿ˜Ž this makes me happy. also symphony is neck and neck with oasis as my favorite so this is just delightful. ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š

ย 

iโ€™ve just gone BACK to the jammer for lunch (iโ€™m sorry, @Lovetocruise2002, i feel like iโ€™ve let us both down โ€” who CLAIMS this woman???!!!) because tonite is dinner in CK at 5pm for โ€” drumroll please โ€” TRUFFLE PASTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO EXCITED.ย 

anyway, lunch was a repeat from day two but i donโ€™t care ๐Ÿ˜‚

IMG_7188.thumb.jpeg.3c9e04e29f887af5b3a6432ed273c32f.jpeg

ย 

ย 

sadly i did not have my airpods in and theyโ€™re doing the worldโ€™s sexist man contestโ€ฆ if i have to suffer through the pickup lines, so do you all ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

โ€œhey baby wanna go to the gym, i can hip thrust your body weightโ€

โ€hey ladies does anybody want a STIFF cocktail??โ€

โ€i just wanna be your best friend.โ€

ย 

weโ€™re all in this together. ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ

38 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i agree with you and @jbrinkmย about sorrentos โ€” it has definitely been improved in the past year or so. sorrentos was always a solid choice in the past, but the flavor and crunch factor has really been stepped up lately and it is quite delicious.ย 

I wonder if they improved it when they thought they might start charging for itย ๐Ÿค”

I haven't had Sorrento's since that crazy survey time occurred. But I think my brother had a couple of slices on Allure in Oct and he said it was crispy but still as bland.ย ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

I know you said you can't get a good gauge on the demographics of this cruise, and I think that might be the case going forwards. A coworker just got off of an NCL cruise and he was shocked by the number of children and youthful shenanigans he encountered. It's his favorite line and he said last year around this time he could count the number of people under 40.ย 

Cruising might have gone up to us but to the average person, the prices can't be beat.ย 

itโ€™s 6:57pm and i am snuggled in to read for the next few hours.ย 

you guysโ€ฆ. i am turning into a vintage!!!!!

but let me back track a bit.

today was the nicest weather day we have had so far; but given how lackluster the weather has been so far, that isnโ€™t saying much. i stayed until about 3pm and then headed back to the cabin to start getting ready for dinner / our 5pm reservation at CK.

i knew it would take something of a small miracle to try and resurrect my hair after it had been in a bun all day because of the insane 25 mph winds ๐ŸŒฌ๏ธ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

we got ready for dinner and then stopped by vintages to grab a champagne. (i just realized iโ€™ve only used one of my four vouchers today. augh.)ย 

IMG_7190.thumb.jpeg.693c8831e67db51f3d37538943b41820.jpeg

(thankfully, my hair was somewhat revived.)

after last night in the MDR, we decided weโ€™d rather have a 5pm in CK than an anything else anywhere else. so we planned to throw ourselves on the mercy of the host, whom we had already said we didnโ€™t need a weekly reservation with. (oh, foolish past me.)

thankfully he was able to accommodate us so we can go back tomorrow instead of MTD in the MDR.ย 

as an aside โ€” the MDR was fine, just really loud and frenetic. it could have just been the night or our section? โ€” our server was a sweetheart and she and her assistant were HUSTLING. but if weโ€™re going to spend more than 40 mins dining (our speediest record), then weโ€™d rather do it where itโ€™s slightly calmer atmosphere.ย 

but back to CK tonite โ€” you know what night it was ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

TRUFFLE PASTA NIGHT!!!!!!

and it did not disappoint!!!!

IMG_7198.thumb.jpeg.c63b27c32f64d21a91ef2dde65104cc8.jpegIMG_7197.thumb.jpeg.ddf7e6a03f12701b9998560a68dce942.jpeg

for dessert, i had my favorite โ€” the vacherin.ย IMG_7201.thumb.jpeg.aa48f855e770bbcccaf844dd51b1e260.jpeg

IMG_7203.thumb.jpeg.a3aded8dc722d8a8bf73608ee6d96c7c.jpeg

it was sooo delicious.

and we had mint tea, which was the perfect ending to the evening.

our boarding buddies were back, and sat down to dinner as we were leaving. it was so nice to see them again ๐Ÿ’š

but now, i am about to finish another book for today.ย 

tomorrow is labadee and we are pretty sure we are skipping getting off in the morning, but might go ashore late afternoon to grab a ship picture or two.ย 

i hope to be awake early enough to see the sunrise and us pulling in, since its usually so beautiful there. ๐Ÿ’š

IMG_7204.jpeg

19 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

after last night in the MDR, we decided weโ€™d rather have a 5pm in CK than an anything else anywhere else. so we planned to throw ourselves on the mercy of the host, whom we had already said we didnโ€™t need a weekly reservation with. (oh, foolish past me.)

thankfully he was able to accommodate us so we can go back tomorrow instead of MTD in the MDR.

Glad it worked out. I've only freeloaded into CK on 2 cruises but I wouldn't go near the MDR if I had access. Of course, I'd even choose the WJ over the MDR (although the MDR was actually fine on Allure in October). We all have our preferences.

9 hours ago, SweetPea said:

I've yet to try the truffle pasta

dear god what a sin ๐Ÿคฃ

9 hours ago, SweetPea said:

are those carrots nestled in there?

8 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I think its orange bell peppers, squash or......carrots???

7 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Anything other than peppers or tomatoes and I'm out ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

it was butternut squash but iโ€™m sure you could get it held off ๐Ÿ˜‚ i picked the tomatoes OUT.ย 

1 hour ago, Sweety said:

Love the dressย 

thank you!!!!

good morning from (finally!!!) sunny labadee!!!

we are set up in our seats for the day ๐Ÿ˜Ž J has made a run to the park cafe for breakfast; i will likely split off to the jammer for grapefruit and such when she returns.ย 

beautiful rainbow this morning when i was up and about for my morning exercise โ€” pictures do not do it justice!!

i also saw the chefs and kitchen crew all off boarding to get ready and taking the food ashore. multiple crewmembers have mentioned how they love labadee; even if you are preparing food, it must be nice to have a change of scenery from being on the ship all the time.ย 

itโ€™s really quite beautiful here, limited winds compared to yesterday and the non stop battle ๐Ÿ˜‚

random observations:

- the casitas remain largely un rented for this sailing. i think i have only seen two parties using them in the entire trip.ย 

- the AC definitely goes off between 2-4 am (at least) because it wakes me from a sound sleep every night ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿฅต

- seeing banners in central park with snowflakes on them and talking about winter is very disconcerting ๐Ÿ˜‚

- there are a lot of people with wet hacking coughs (to which i furtively whisper to J, each time, โ€œconsumption!!โ€)

- the biscuits in the jammer are delicious and INSANE. they have like a honey glaze??? i canโ€™t explain it. theyโ€™re like part scone, part biscuit and FULL DELIGHT.ย 

IMG_7206.thumb.jpeg.ba1fe68245c5945be5d2c77d2bab55d4.jpeg

this made me laugh so hard, i had to share.ย 

IMG_7210.jpeg

IMG_7211.jpeg

IMG_7212.jpeg

IMG_7215.jpeg

IMG_7218.jpeg

IMG_7225.jpeg

IMG_7226.jpeg

IMG_7227.jpeg

you guys. a MONSOON just swept through.ย 

we felt the winds pick up and then saw the black clouds moving quick from the side of the ship.ย 

but i would be DAMNED if i gave up these seats!!!!

so we took with us what we didnโ€™t want to get totally soaked and legit DIVED under a casita and NOT A SECOND TOO SOON!!!!!!

it downpoured rain and the winds were like nothing iโ€™ve ever seen or felt before. felt like hurricane winds.ย 

but ten minutes later, it moved through and now the sun is out like it never even happened.ย 

WILD.ย IMG_7228.thumb.jpeg.496173a9a2660c88816a99b2de56b247.jpegour only safety. pina colada way. ๐Ÿ˜‚

another woman passing by who couldnโ€™t make it to the door in time huddled under a towel with J under here.ย 

i was folded like a pretzel on the bed under a towel.ย 

in hindsight, we probably should have just gone inside, because the casita was as effective as an open ended structure in a typhoonโ€ฆ but it seemed like a good idea at the time ๐Ÿคฃ

IMG_7230.thumb.jpeg.f907d3aa938d7a0e2762893d6db3297a.jpegregretting my life choices but laughing at the same time

ย 

IMG_7229.jpeg

IMG_7231.jpeg

IMG_7232.jpeg

IMG_7234.jpeg

OMG you do not have the luck with normal, dry weather this time of year.ย ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿคฃ

I tried biscuits once and they were as @WAAAYTOOOย described hockey pucks. So, to see them looking so delicious and lite on your plate has me jellyย ๐Ÿคฃ

Also, as a lover of purple things, tell me more about J's bagย ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

they rescued him!!!!!!!!!ย 

it was a older man, i think he fell out of his wheelchair on the pier and then someone dove in after him.ย 

as soon as i heard the call, i ran over to the side and saw the jet ski rescues diving under to helpย 

and then saw the man they rescued in the back of the jetski board and they towed him to safety!!!!

everyone on the pier cheered!!!!

i think there may have been another civilian who went in after him because there was another assist as well but he seems to have been retrieved too.ย 

ย 

IMG_7237.jpeg

IMG_7238.jpeg

Holy cow ! ย Too much excitement for me ! ย Just glad the overboard (and rescuers) are ok. ย 
ย 

Still on Freedom (home tomorrow) and our seas are pretty crappy too. ย Lots of wind and swellsโ€ฆboatโ€™s a-rockin. ย Seems like theyโ€™re quieting down JUST a bit. ย Good news. ย Hope you guys have a smoother ride home.

9 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

our seas are pretty crappy too. ย Lots of wind and swellsโ€ฆboatโ€™s a-rockin. ย Seems like theyโ€™re quieting down JUST a bit. ย Good news. ย Hope you guys have a smoother ride home.

yes we noted this too!

they had the sea sickness bags out in the stairwells yesterday and that was my first clue that things were Not Quite Right.ย 

itโ€™s weird; hurricane season is over (i think?) so we typically find this time of year to be okay but this is probably the most (sustained) motion weโ€™ve felt in a while. the wind is no joke!!

hope you and dan have a peaceful disembarkation tomorrow ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š

dinner in CK tonite ๐Ÿ’š

IMG_7266.thumb.jpeg.4ce50c9aa7eb91ef02f44733c73c5e40.jpeg

this jumpsuit has finally seen the light of day!! i have had it for some time now, but needed to get the pockets removed so that the pant legs would lay flat in the front. it was comfortable and breezy, a great choice for the evening.

IMG_7262.thumb.jpeg.7bb7ded37c08cdabbf212b93668fdcc8.jpeg

i had the tomato mozzarella appetizer (gave my tomatoes to J), shrimp cocktail and caesar salad. also a small portion of spaghetti marinara.

IMG_7268.thumb.jpeg.a9af3397d7785d7d585e1fd604987ab8.jpegIMG_7269.thumb.jpeg.ce95a8b4ae661084f1f19f6b5edbdb9f.jpegIMG_7270.thumb.jpeg.f244f4c5304ab0c8b745172cd041a9ae.jpeg

J had the tomato mozzarella app and caesar, and also the duck, which she said was not only excellent, but her favorite meal so far!!

i was intrigued by the blueberry element in her duck dish โ€” i love blueberry. ย 

IMG_7271.thumb.jpeg.d9d7307be9038c91e0b28b5307bdd369.jpeg

for dessert, i chose the black currant sorbet which was like a pale blue color, and J had the ricotta cheesecake โ€” sheโ€™s never met a cheesecake she didnโ€™t like; tonite was her favorite, although she mentioned that the red velvet cake โ€œcrustโ€/bottom was a bit of a strange choice.

our serverโ€™s name is mark; he is great ๐Ÿ’š very kind and friendly (i may have mentioned before but it bears repeating) and he saw my ducks lined up on the table and wanted to know if weโ€™d found them. when i mentioned we were hiding them, or re-homing ones weโ€™ve found, he said he would track it down later ๐Ÿ˜‚ i told him he could just have it and he was so touched and didnโ€™t want to take it, but we promised it was okay. he was thrilled!! and now i wish i had had a different one to give him but i can always bring another tomorrow night. ๐Ÿ˜Š

after dinner, we strolled the promenade for a little bit and saw some couples dancing the the live music. i love the live music and the dancers โ€” mostly because i canโ€™t read music, and i donโ€™t dance ๐Ÿ˜† so whenever i can take in actual folks with talent, it is a treat for me.ย 

we are currently sailing at a speed of 20.5 knots ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ฑ for reasons i do not know. the wind is not as bad as it has been, although it is raining again. i donโ€™t mind if it rains as much at night.ย 

ps: iโ€™ve potentially recruited our boarding buddies (amy + phil) along to the forums, so yโ€™all behave yourselves now!! ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜‚

IMG_7254.thumb.jpeg.aa0e18096578d01b284fe23e4067cd76.jpeg

goodbye labadee ๐Ÿ’š

IMG_7274.jpeg

this jumpsuit has finally seen the light of day!! i have had it for some time now, but needed to get the pockets removed so that the pant legs would lay flat in the front. it was comfortable and breezy, a great choice for the evening.

Very cute jumpsuit!! I don't know why I have NEVER thought about having pockets taken out - I definitely have an outfit or two with pockets that don't behave.ย 

10 hours ago, asquared17 said:

had the tomato mozzarella appetizer (gave my tomatoes to J)

"I'll have the tomato mozzarella...hold the tomato" lol.ย  ย ย 

I just caught up, had jury duty yesterday so didn't get to pop in as often as usual... it took me a minute to realize this was all the same day, eventful one, for sure! Glad the rescue went well and everyone was ok.ย ย 

It's crazy, we usually sail DURING Hurricane season and have been lucky, but these past few weeks seem to be really bad, seeing so many posts on FB, Reddit and here about cancelled or re-scheduled port stops. I hope the rest of the way goes a little drier and smoother for ya!ย 

10 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Was there a shawl or sweater with the jumpsuit?

my lionโ€™s ๐Ÿฆ mane of hair was my shawl ๐Ÿ˜‚

i am always so hot, i never wear tights or stockings in the winter, i am always bare-legged ๐Ÿ˜‚

i used to bring shawls but they would just hang in the closet and not get worn. so now i just use that space for other things. spending the day in the sun usually results in some color that keeps me warm too. ๐Ÿ’š

9 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Very cute jumpsuit!! I don't know why I have NEVER thought about having pockets taken out

pocket removal is a GAME changer!!!!

i have so many cute dresses and skirts where i will take out the pockets. i know a lot of women prefer to keep them in, or wish they had them in their garments, but to me they are just a hassle and something i have to get rid of ๐Ÿ˜‚

46 minutes ago, ScottD said:

I'll have the tomato mozzarella...hold the tomato" lol.ย  ย ย 

ALWAYS. ๐Ÿ˜†

hope JD went okay!!!ย 

i couldnโ€™t believe everything had happened yesterday either!! but it WAS thursday. and i feel like iโ€™ve told you all about the thursday curse by this point. ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿซ ๐Ÿ™ƒ

1 hour ago, ScottD said:

It's crazy, we usually sail DURING Hurricane season and have been lucky, but these past few weeks seem to be really bad

It was an extremely tame summer here in central FL... and now we have a storm coming this weekend that is being described as the winter version of a tropical storm. Nothing to worry about at home (1-3" of rain and maybe 30-40mph wind gusts) but it could certainly affect some sailings and sea conditions. Weather just gets crazier and crazier.

well i was up at 4:30 again and then finally jumped out of bed around 5:45 to get ready for morning walk/exercise.ย 

didnโ€™t get to see the full sunrise but got a good workout in. the air is noticeably thicker/more humid here; but i feel like that is typical of falmouth.ย 

if you guessed that we are not getting off here and will be staying on board on the sundeck, you guessed right!!!

my breakfast consisted of two of the most amazing biscuits, grapefruit halves and the cheese omelet that i watched come right out of the pan. it was good timing ๐Ÿ˜Ž

also something i noticed โ€” the fountains for the rising tide bar were up and running. when were onโ€ฆ. symphony, i think it was, there was no fountain waterworks. ever.ย 

so i am wondering if this is yet another special oasis moment ๐Ÿ’š if it is, i am not complaining.ย 

we donโ€™t clear the gangway until about 10 this morning; its 8:45 now and weโ€™re still doing turnabouts to pull into falmouth.IMG_7295.thumb.jpeg.9fc6cbc6285cf9289e5a45025d168fdb.jpegIMG_7294.thumb.jpeg.6387bc3763cc6f40e9d2875a53d202b8.jpegIMG_7296.thumb.jpeg.ea0bab8b5261423c7980d416aeb2f47b.jpeg

IMG_7278.jpeg

IMG_7279.jpeg

IMG_7280.jpeg

IMG_7282.jpeg

IMG_7285.jpeg

IMG_7286.jpeg

IMG_7289.jpeg

IMG_7284.jpeg

IMG_7281.jpeg

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

and now we have a storm coming this weekend that is being described as the winter version of a tropical storm. Nothing to worry about at home (1-3" of rain and maybe 30-40mph wind gusts)

Well this makes my kinda happy Iโ€™m flying into Houston this weekend. ๐Ÿ˜†ย