My thoughts on Liberty OTS so far.

RCIfan1912

My thoughts on Liberty OTS so far after boarding yesterday. Yes, she needs some love for sure, a nice updating but she is still awesome. Absolutely LOVE her so far. Crew is absolutely spectacular and I have to say I LOVE cruise ship crews in general. They are for the most part extraordinary people. 

The main dining room first night I have to say also was excellent. Really alleviated some of the fears some have put out there about the "new menu". The food was excellent and I thought a step up from before but I am not super picky. I know when some is terrible and not cooked right or cold and none of that last night. It was all delicious and the bread especially was better than I remember, extremely soft and delicious. Again crew in MDR was incredible. We are back to traditional dining and will NEVER go back to MTD. Tonight we have Sabor and the next 2  nights Giovannis. Then right back to MDR for the rest. 

Tomorrow we are in Boston where its going to be pouring rain unfortunately. Gonna still try somehow to get to the aquarium but have no idea how with the rain. With a baby it might be tough. Oh this particular cruise is very, very old. I mean VERY but I quite like it. Some yes are bit too much but overall very, very nice, quiet too. There are very few kids, I mean like a handful. 

So that is my thoughts so far. I will add more as we go. This is a nice long 9 night cruise so more to come....

45 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Tonight we have Sabor and the next 2  nights Giovannis. Then right back to MDR for the rest.

Exactly our plans for Allure next week. We have never been MDR fans (not b/c of any recent changes, just personal preference) but we plan to try it for a couple nights. I like popping into the WJ after just to check it out (and eat more food b/c I'm usually still hungry, lol) anyway so if we don't like it, no biggie. Giovanni's Table has always been our favorite and I really liked Sabor the only time I've had it.

Thanks for sharing. Hope the cruise continues to go well.

P.S. Go find the CL! 🤣

Oh I forgot to add, Chops for lunch on embarkation is always awesome. It's just a great, great way to start a cruise. We started it on Oasis last year and will do some specialty restaurant on embarkation day. We have Jamie's for lunch on Anthem embarkation day in February. Chops was absolutely delicious and I'm not a steak guy. I got organic roasted chicken and the mushroom soup oh my goodness!

We also went to see the ice show this s afternoon and it was also incredible. What an amazing performance. Got there early and got good seats. It kinda bothers me a bit people "savings seats" but we were there early so it didn't bother us as we had good seats. We got there 45 minutes early. Overall having a great time. 

Oh and I have learned on many cruises to basically not worry about what other people are doing or what they think. That's not in a rude way, just a let's enjoy and not worry thing. 

28 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I have learned on many cruises to basically not worry about what other people are doing or what they think. That's not in a rude way, just a let's enjoy and not worry thing.

Felt this way for a very long time. As long as you're not hurting anyone, do as you please!

12 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Felt this way for a very long time. As long as you're not hurting anyone, do as you please!

That's the caveat, as long as you aren't hurting sometimes else enjoyment then do it. Our son wanted to go in the pool and yeah it ain't pool weather at all but hey he wants to try it, I say go for it. He went in the Jacuzzi for 30 minutes or so and tried the pool but too cool. At least he tried and ya know what I don't care what about thought. There was another child the other one with their mom and I day AWESOME! 🤣

5 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

I'm never bothered by people saving seats. As long as they show up in the end. And after something starts the folks saving the seats almost always give in and give them away. I'm someone who shows up early so it's never a problem anyway. 

True, the people did show up for the seats so whatever in the end. The ice show was awesome! Our 10 year old son loved it and our 20 month old baby was enjoying it. 

Well I am glad to say we LOVE Liberty. This is such a great itinerary, its about our favorite. Every port is awesome, Boston we made it to the AMAZING aquarium. Taxi was very reasonable I thought, 20 bucks. I take the blame because I thought the rain would hold off so we tried to walk back but half way it down pored! I mean big time. But honestly I thought it was fun in a way. 🤣 

Portland was also fun, we had an excursion to Freeport but that wasn't till 1PM which we didn't like. Next year we gonna get our own way there and much earlier and spend the whole day in Freeport. It also rained when we were there. We had lunch at Linda Bean's across the street from LL Bean, delicious. 

Bar Harbor is impossible not to fall in love with. Did an excellent walking tour but next year going on our own and literally explorer every inch of the town. Oh we had lunch at this awesome place called Side street cafe. Cannot recommend it enough. 

The food on Liberty has been exceptional. I think we, me included beat up Royal too much on food quality. Its been excellent, buffet included.  Sorrentos excellent as well. 

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Again the MDR food is really impressing me. It's definitely better than I remember before the change but again I have to say I'm not overly picky at all. It's just been excellent in the MDR. I honestly have no idea what the fuss and complaining is about. 

Again, glad you’re enjoying it.

We’ve never loved the MDR but it had more to do with my wife being picky (in terms of what she eats, not quality) & me liking to eat a lot so the WJ’s that had cook to order pasta/wok stations always worked better for us over the years.

We’re going to try the MDR again on our 5N Allure for at least a couple nights leaving tomorrow. Hoping for a similar experience.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Again, glad you’re enjoying it.

We’ve never loved the MDR but it had more to do with my wife being picky (in terms of what she eats, not quality) & me liking to eat a lot so the WJ’s that had cook to order pasta/wok stations always worked better for us over the years.

We’re going to try the MDR again on our 5N Allure for at least a couple nights leaving tomorrow. Hoping for a similar experience.

Yeah this isn't a full on endorsement or anything but more of relief because of all the moaning over the new menu. It's been really good I think. That's really all this is. We love specialty restaurants too and always do 3 nights specialty and the other MDR. We are in general just not dinner buffet people. Love the idea and that it's an option just not for us. 

46 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Yeah this isn't a full on endorsement or anything but more of relief because of all the moaning over the new menu. It's been really good I think. That's really all this is. We love specialty restaurants too and always do 3 nights specialty and the other MDR. We are in general just not dinner buffet people. Love the idea and that it's an option just not for us. 

Totally get it on all counts. I can always find more food somewhere (I'll pop into the WJ after MDR just to take a look and usually grab something, even if it's just another dessert, and Sorrento's serves its purpose even if it's not great pizza). As long as my wife eats SOMETHING, it's all good. If I like the MDR more than expected it's a bonus. I always like the Indian food onboard so I'm likely to order that in the MDR regardless of the theme night.

I do like buffets but it was even more for my wife b/c nothing is better for a picky eater than letting them pick their own ingredients, lol. Having it cooked fresh in front of you also actually yielded some very hot delicious dishes (hotter than the MDR) and is different from the food sitting out on the buffet. Unfortunately, from what I've gathered, those cook to order stations that used to be a staple in most WJ's are no longer necessarily there so we're adapting.

Pickiness and frugality also keep us from doing a ton of specialty but we love Giovanni's (wife eats filet, risotto, pasta) and we're doing Sabor b/c we enjoyed it on Harmony last year (even though my wife doesn't actually eat Mexican... don't ask). On ships with a Playmakers, we always do a burger night b/c we really like it and it fits with the frugal part. We don't need fancy, just something we like. And Mason Jar brunch on Wonder was a huge hit so we have options on Wonder now.

2 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I honestly have no idea what the fuss and complaining is about. 

Some of it was people who have a more selective (picky) palate, some from people who had a bad experience with temperature/flavor and loads upon loads of people borrowing trouble and expecting the worst.  For people that liked the food before, they will generally feel the same about it, but the menu change got the "internet treatment" so people worry.

1 hour ago, Xaa said:

Some of it was people who have a more selective (picky) palate, some from people who had a bad experience with temperature/flavor and loads upon loads of people borrowing trouble and expecting the worst.  For people that liked the food before, they will generally feel the same about it, but the menu change got the "internet treatment" so people worry.

Yeah, it's some of forums like this but more some of the YouTube cruise channels. I'm looking at you Ben and David who I absolutely love but their review of the food I think on Symphony was off the charts horrible. I was a bit skeptical and I guess for clicks that's what they did. Unless the food is markedly different and way worse there is no way that review was genuine. 

1 minute ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Yeah, it's some of forums like this but more some of the YouTube cruise channels. I'm looking at you Ben and David who I absolutely love but their review of the food I think on Symphony was off the charts horrible. I was a bit skeptical and I guess for clicks that's what they did. Unless the food is markedly different and way worse there is no way that review was genuine. 

I'll admit I don't watch those videos but my default is to treat any food opinion as subjective. Way too many variables and personal preferences involved. If it's cold, fine, that's universally accepted as a big problem, but if you send it back and it's still cold... I don't make the leap that every meal in every MDR on every ship will be cold. To me that just means that particular MDR on that night/cruise is having some major issues.

I could tell you all how my picky wife actually really enjoys the pizza Sorrento's makes when she special orders it (I like it too) but I'd get laughed at. We won't stop eating it though.

7 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

That particular Symphony TA cruise seemed to have kitchen issues.  Not just Ben and David.

While I don't love their content, I tolerate it depending on the topic, but find my palate and there's are not necessarily aligned.  That one video and cruise are certainly responsible for a lot of bad expectations and I certainly believe they reviewed the experience exactly as they had it.

1 hour ago, Xaa said:

That particular Symphony TA cruise seemed to have kitchen issues.  Not just Ben and David.

While I don't love their content, I tolerate it depending on the topic, but find my palate and there's are not necessarily aligned.  That one video and cruise are certainly responsible for a lot of bad expectations and I certainly believe they reviewed the experience exactly as they had it.

Oh wow, so now I know and very interesting info. That's a shame and too bad for them and Royal Caribbean. Thanks for the info though, I had no idea. 

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I was on that Transatlantic.  There’s a whole thread here in these pages regarding that review.  Sadly I can confirm it was all true.  I don’t know those YouTube people, never met them and don’t follow them but I did see that video because someone posted it-it was that bad and more.

that said, I had THE BEST chocolate chip cookies EVER  on that sailing.  I don’t typically eat them-they do nothing for me, but these were different, all lumpy looking like a home made cookie.  Phenomenal! Only one night in the coffee shop and I ate at least 8 of them.  If those were on every ship I’d have to change my name to “2toncruises”

29 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

that said, I had THE BEST chocolate chip cookies EVER  on that sailing.  I don’t typically eat them-they do nothing for me, but these were different, all lumpy looking like a home made cookie.  Phenomenal! Only one night in the coffee shop and I ate at least 8 of them.  If those were on every ship I’d have to change my name to “2toncruises”

Maybe they tasted so good because you were starving from subpar MDR on that cruise. 🙂

Well I am happy to say this has been a just awesome cruise and this is a great ship. The crew is amazing, absolutely amazing. The itinerary is amazing, looking forward to next Oct minus Bar Harbor of course and going to Sydney Nova Scotia.

I can report the food on this ship is excellent. Free in the Windjammer, to  the pizza to the MDR really surprised me. It's been just excellent, like to the point that I'm genuinely questioning anyone especially influencers reporting how bad it is since the change. The specialty restaurants were amazing from Chops for lunch on embarkation day, Sabor was an awesome surprise, really, really tasty. 2 nights at Giovanni's were just awesome. The first night was a long night there though for some reason but food amazing. 

We actually ate out in the town of St. John's New Brunswick at a very new place, open two months called beer and bread. It was good, not great. It was expensive too but it was fun to eat in the city off the ship. Next year I think we are going Granna sea food in the market square. 

Oh the only complaint is the soda situation. It absolutely stinks without the machines. It's hard to get your moneys worth and its overall a pain. Yes the ship needs a good makeover and soda machines but overall this was an amazing trip! 

Well I am happy to say this has been a just awesome cruise and this is a great ship. The crew is amazing, absolutely amazing. The itinerary is amazing, looking forward to next Oct minus Bar Harbor of course and going to Sydney Nova Scotia.

I can report the food on this ship is excellent. Free in the Windjammer, to us the pizza to the MDR really surprised me. It's been just excellent, like to the point that I'm genuinely questioning anyone especially influencers reporting how bad it is since the change. The specialty restaurants were amazing from Chops for lunch on embarkation day, Savor was an awesome surprise, really, really tasty. 2 nights at Giovanni's were just awesome. The first night was a long night there though for some reason but food amazing. 

We actually out in the town of St. John's New Brunswick at a very new place, open two months called beer and bread. It was good, not great. It was expensive too but it was fun to eat in the city off the ship. Next year I think we are going Granna sea food in the market square. 

Oh the only complaint is the soda situation. It absolutely stinks without the machines. It's hard to get your moneys worth and its overall a pain. Yes the ship needs a good makeover and soda machines but overall this was an amazing trip! 

After reading this thread and your comments RCIfan1912 I have to say completely agree.  I"m on Wonder right now we just left Costa Maya heading for Cape Canaveral.  Wonder still looks great she still looks brand new (the last time I was on Wonder was last year so this is only my second time on this ship).  The crew on Wonder have been absolutely phenomenal and Royal has for sure stepped up their game when it comes to the food from Windjammers to specialty dinning (I'm not much of a MDR person).  I think this is my first cruise where it really fills like Royal is firing on all cylinders since the pandemic.

For those of us who cruised during the Royal Come Back season I think we all knew what we were in for and for the most part we were all just happy to be back out on the open water.  But in my opinion 2022 was more misses than hits on every cruise I took with Royal and I know it couldn't have been easy for Royal.  Having crew members come back after so much time off, having to hire so many new crew members some from different cruise companies and some with no experience at all.  The food quality, taste and presentation issues, and also let's not forget about the liquor issues in 2022.  A lot of this was completely out of Royals control but I'm so happy they pushed through The Royal Come Back and they pushed through 2022 and now here we are 2023 and its full steam ahead.  I did a few cruises earlier this year and there were a few minor absolutely minor issues nothing major.  

However, this cruise here on Wonder I really feel like Royal is finally back absolutely hands down without question the best cruise I've been on since the pandemic shut down.

Love seeing the positivity.

I thought Wonder was amazing in June but there were a few caveats… newest ship, was being treated to a GS (so lots of perks, CK instead of MDR, twice/day steward service), etc.

Now that I’m 3/5 of the way through my current Allure cruise back in our usual interior (actually we splurged for a CP view for 2-figures/pp extra, extravagant I know), I can say it wasn’t anything specific to Wonder (although I still appreciate & prefer the features of Wonder that are missing from Allure). Crew is great, don’t mind once/day cabin service at all (still get ice twice daily & see our steward often enough to ask for anything), food is good (GT was excellent as always, MDR better than expected as we haven’t been MDR fans for a long time, WJ for lunch/dinner has fewer selections than in years past but I knew & expected that, breakfast still has everything you’d expect), entertainment & activities are the same as always (what you like is personal preference IMO, I’m sure Mamma Mia is good if you like broadway but I’m not sitting through it), etc.

I hope others continue to have & share positive experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night on Liberty finishing up the 6 night Western Caribbean and Cococay trip sandwiched between leaving NJ and 3/4 night Bahamas trips.

Ship is in good shape.  The hull is clean, seemingly freshly painted.  The railings on deck 4 received new varnish this week.  Some of the balcony railings below deck 8 could use some though. 

Had a young server team of Andrew and Christian in the MDR who were outstanding.  No dinner lasted more than an hour with one at 45 minutes.  Had My Time dining and requested the same table every night for our reservation without issue.  

No regrets booking this older ship at all.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:36 PM, RCIfan1912 said:

My thoughts on Liberty OTS so far after boarding yesterday. Yes, she needs some love for sure, a nice updating but she is still awesome. Absolutely LOVE her so far. Crew is absolutely spectacular and I have to say I LOVE cruise ship crews in general. They are for the most part extraordinary people. 

The main dining room first night I have to say also was excellent. Really alleviated some of the fears some have put out there about the "new menu". The food was excellent and I thought a step up from before but I am not super picky. I know when some is terrible and not cooked right or cold and none of that last night. It was all delicious and the bread especially was better than I remember, extremely soft and delicious. Again crew in MDR was incredible. We are back to traditional dining and will NEVER go back to MTD. Tonight we have Sabor and the next 2  nights Giovannis. Then right back to MDR for the rest. 

Tomorrow we are in Boston where its going to be pouring rain unfortunately. Gonna still try somehow to get to the aquarium but have no idea how with the rain. With a baby it might be tough. Oh this particular cruise is very, very old. I mean VERY but I quite like it. Some yes are bit too much but overall very, very nice, quiet too. There are very few kids, I mean like a handful. 

So that is my thoughts so far. I will add more as we go. This is a nice long 9 night cruise so more to come....

I didn't even know Sabor still existed! Their guacamole is amazing. Will definitely need to try to get back on a ship that has a Sabor! Wish it was still standard.