Solo Travel Experience, Don't Be Afraid To Go!

Been awhile since I've been around, but I wanted to share some thoughts.

In October of last year I took a spur of the moment (get away from real life) last minute cruise on my own.  Was a three night simple trip on Independence, only plans were for an inside cabin room and the deluxe beverage package, no excursions were planned or other frills.  And I wanted to come here and say that I LOVED every moment of this trip!  It was liberating and exactly what I needed to get away from some stress.

I had more fun on this trip than the six nighter that I just went on that July when I was with someone.  I got to meet so many more people, have a bunch of fun and random conversations with strangers, ALL of them friendly and having a great time.  I'm not the most outgoing person and this was still very easy to do. 

While sharing a trip with someone and making memories is a great thing, I did enjoy my time alone not having to worry about what another person wanted to do.  The only time it felt a little odd was when it was time to eat, but even then, if you wanted to strike up a conversation in the main dining room, or at a place like Playmakers, it was super easy.

So if you are on the fence about traveling alone on a cruise, be brave and go for it!  You only live once, so why not be adventurous

Planning to go on a holliday cruise 2025 to 2026 solo celebrating new year on the ship, will prob also be an interior room also cause of the prizes as a solo traveller.
The date is than also special cause in 2026 i will turn 50 and i choose to go alone to meet new people, normaly i go with friends or family but that one is meant for me to go alone. Love that you can confirm my choice that its a great idea. For me its at the moment waiting that the named cruises get on the website and ill be able to book, meanwhile i'm waiting for my greek isles cruise leaving in 7 days, but this one is with family group of 6.

Yeah turning 50 don't have a choice in that, however the way to celebrate it is another mather. Choose to celebrate it with making new friends instead of organizing a party where a lot of people come, i havent seen in years, no this way i spend it on myself and have a full vacation of fun instead of one day:)
I love cruising never did a solo one before, and if you go with peeople or in a group, mostly you keep with the group instead of realy connecting with new people.

49 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

I don't recommend it. And don't even get me started on 55. LOL.

Wow, you remember the specific #?  Ha ha, I place myself in the 55+ range, and then I don't have to remember any details.

3 hours ago, PhantomWolf said:

While sharing a trip with someone and making memories is a great thing, I did enjoy my time alone not having to worry about what another person wanted to do.  The only time it felt a little odd was when it was time to eat, but even then, if you wanted to strike up a conversation in the main dining room, or at a place like Playmakers, it was super easy.

I agree!  Being on your own is a great sense of freedom.  Conversations are easy to get started wherever you decide to eat, but I will admit to sneaking up to WJ when I just want to eat and people-watch.

On 8/30/2023 at 4:00 PM, BeachGal said:

I agree!  Being on your own is a great sense of freedom.  Conversations are easy to get started wherever you decide to eat, but I will admit to sneaking up to WJ when I just want to eat and people-watch.

People watching is in my top five things to do while cruising. Its nice seeing everyone having a good time. 

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats! I've done Vegas many times solo and just finished my 3rd solo cruise and absolutely love them. One of the things I realized early on is that no one is staring at you and judging you. In fact, many people are envious of you for daring to sail solo. The only time I felt slightly awkward was eating in the main dining room. I prefer to just hit the Windjammer for dinner so I can be in and out and on to do what *I* want to do next.