Sailing into a hurricane

Sorry for the repeated posts. I posted something similar in the roll call section....

We're about to leave for our sailing on Navigator for a 3 night to Ensenada tomorrow. It now looks like Hurricane Hilary is going to be directly in our pathway.

We're still a bit new to sailing and have never had this experience before. Any ideas how Royal will handle this situation? I'm thinking that at the very least that Ensenada will likely not happen. Or will they cancel it altogether? I know that I'm asking people to predict the future, but I didn't know if anyone has gone though a similar incident before....

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Highly unlikely it'd be canceled. At worst you'll lose Ensenada and just hang out a bit further west and end up with a cruise to nowhere. You may be a bit bumpy getting back into LA on Monday. With that in mind you may get back into port Sunday night instead of Monday morning.

Thanks for the reply. Does Royal prorate a cruise that is shorter than was scheduled?

Unfortunately we have a couple of times,  when sailing out of Boston or NYC, been diverted up north, always ended up in St. Johns, New Brunswick. Nice enough town but you know, not Bermuda. Less on learned, we no longer sail from up North during hurricane season. When sailing down South, and have been diverted, it was fine either more sea days or a surprise port!  So it was fine, part of the adventure!

I agree with Eggbert, bring along some motion sickness remedies,  I hear Guest services gives out the motion sickness pills.  Ginger is good for motion sickness/I always bring that onboard.  you can find green apples onboard though someone recently told me any apple would work as it is the pectin that calms the stomach, 

For those who are interested the word is that they are planning on changing the order of our sailing. 

day 2 will be in Ensenada for a very long port day instead of our day at sea

day 3 will be at sea instead of a port day at Ensenada. I suspect we will be going far west to avoid the storm

thanks to all who replied!

This has been a very interesting cruise so far. There have been three “alpha” calls since 4am. One resulted in a medical evacuation via USCG helicopter. 

We were literally offshore from Ensenada just circling in the water when they decided to evacuate this individual. We veered north back to the border and a USCG helicopter was able to land and bring aboard the individual to take them to a hospital in San Diego. Now we’re back on track heading south again toward Ensenada to make our port time at 7pm. 

I’m assuming that this is more of a formality since we’re required to make an international stop and are trying to get out of Mexico ahead of the storm. 

5 minutes ago, YoungFamilyExplorers said:

I’m assuming that this is more of a formality since we’re required to make an international stop and are trying to get out of Mexico ahead of the storm. 

Yes and no. They'll try real hard to get you your port stop. But in weather situations like this, they'd be given a waiver for the port stop requirement.

Well the cruise is now over. 

After making a very late port at Ensenada on Day 2 of the cruise, we headed northward and spent our day at sea in the Santa Barbara Channel. 

This was much farther north than we initially expected to be heading, but Captain James announced that it was outside of the area affected by the storm. We spent the day circling the waters in the channel and the water was very calm. 

At night we headed back to the Port of Los Angeles and definitely sailed through a part of the storm causing it to be pretty rocky. We got back to port safely though. 

thanks for all who responded!