Covid?

Florz

Just got off Oasis 10 days ago.  My husband actually tested positive 4 days later.  Was not aware of any outbreaks while on board but seems COVID is sort of like the common cold now so it’s not going anywhere and if you get it you get it.  There were 17 of us on the cruise and he is the only one who ended up with it.  Back in May we sailed with friends on Norwegian Prima and I ended up with COVID 2 days later!  No one else…just me!  And just as another piece of info…neither myself nor my husband isolated from the other one! 

35 minutes ago, Florz said:

Wife and I are scheduled to be on OAS Aug. 27 cruise. Wondering if recent cruisers had seen or heard of covid outbreaks on their cruises?

The possibility of Covid being on a ship is pretty high. If you join a Facebook group for a cruise that has already sailed, you’ll probably see a whole bunch of posts about people testing positive post-trip.

I don’t know if there are any official instances of “outbreaks”. It seems to me that norovirus outbreaks is more of a concern than Covid.

We got off Allure on July 23rd and tested positive 4 days later. It could have come from the ship, but it also could have been from air travel, the airport, or any bus-like transportation we used. If you want to be careful, vaccinate, wear a mask, etc. to lower your chances of getting it. Otherwise, have a terrific cruise!

My husband, my brother, my sister, and I were all on Ovation the end of June for Alaska.  We all got COVID.  Came home on Friday, felt ill Saturday morning, tested, and we all were positive.  Come to read on other Facebook groups, that the sailing before ours, and the one before that as well had many people who also tested positive.  Still glad we went and Alaska was amazing, but it did put a slight damper on our vacation.  My brother had the worst of it.  It was a little scary.

That said, we've been on 7 cruises since December 2021, and this is the first time we caught anything.  Still love cruising!

14 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

And wash your hands. 

Still amazes me how many people use public toilets and walk out without washing their hands. 

I also can't believe the amount of people who did not wash their hands when leaving the bathroom on our last cruise!

Additionally...the amount of people who actually said "No Thank You" to the washy-washy person and walked straight into Windjammer was very disheartening.

14 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

People get minor viral illnesses on cruise ships. Always have, always will.  There just never was a focus on it (other than noro) before covid.

This. 

I remember when my never-gets-sick husband came home with pneumonia from an NCL cruise. That was in 2011. 

You board a ship with people from all over the world and spend time in close quarters with these people....illness happens! 

The times I've gotten Covid incidentally have been from work, not cruising 🤷🏼‍♀️

Quite a few folks (over 50 on our facbook group) caught Covid on our Allure sailing 2 weeks ago, including my older son. But he had fever for one day and thats it. Got off the ship on Sunday morning, had fever and tested positive on Sunday night, was back to normal by Tuesday Symptom wise, and tested negative by Friday.  Shockingly the rest of us didn't catch it somehow (or we did catch it and are asymptomatic)