No Ramen or Yaki Udon for Izumi's on Quantum Class, Why?

Hey all, just curious if anyone has noticed that with the exception of Spectrum, none of the other Izumi Sushi restaurants on Quantum class offers Ramen or Yaki Udon. I recently sailed on Ovation OTS and noticed it wasn't on their menu, so using the app, checked other ships and surprise, all other classes have it on the menu. Just wondering since Ramen is something I would love to have on a cool, cloudy day at sea but can't figure out why it's not available on Ovation. "Rant over" 🙂

When I think of Japanese sushi the concept of noodles doesn't associate.

Maybe this is the Americanization of Japanese sushi?  The local Japanese sushi place near me doesn't offer ramen or noodles.   It's all about sushi with some token items to cater to non-sushi eaters that might arrive with a group (a.k.a. chicken entrees).

If I went to Japan would I normally find ramen at a typical Japanese sushi restaurant?

Travis Kamiyama is the chef behind Izumi and he was and still is heavily involved with the menu.  He is from the Kyoto region of Japan I think.  

I'm not big on sushi so it's not something I've tried all over the world.  

13 minutes ago, new2cruzing said:

I follow the logic of ramen not being served in a sushi restaurant. But it doesn't explain WHY only Quantum class ships (4 out of 5) don't have it. If the argument is it's not popular, then why is it served across the rest of the fleet? 🤷‍♂️

I didn't realize it was across the fleet.

To me ramen is a $2 meal savored by students and starving artists on a tight budget.  You boil it for 3 minutes, add the seasoning packet and eat at midnight when you have a sodium craving.  🙂 

I can't get past the stereotype that it's a staple of the poor.  I guess that includes me because I always have a bulk pack of it from Costco in my pantry.  It's my go to midnight feel like something but too lazy to much effort into it meal.   

Lol, well, at least we know it used to be available on the quantum ships. I don't think any of us here will know why it's gone but still available on all other ships. 

If you haven't tried ramen in a restaurant, I highly recommend giving it a shot, it's nothing like the old college staple that we all remember and some still buy at Costco 😄. Fresh ramen is served al dente and the soup is much better. 

image.thumb.png.de11b4ce1c7c4503bd61967c290e0c8f.png

14 minutes ago, new2cruzing said:

Lol, well, at least we know it used to be available on the quantum ships. I don't think any of us here will know why it's gone but still available on all other ships. 

If you haven't tried ramen in a restaurant, I highly recommend giving it a shot, it's nothing like the old college staple that we all remember and some still buy at Costco 😄. Fresh ramen is served al dente and the soup is much better. 

image.thumb.png.de11b4ce1c7c4503bd61967c290e0c8f.png

Definitely not Costco ramen!

On 6/9/2023 at 1:52 PM, twangster said:

I didn't realize it was across the fleet.

To me ramen is a $2 meal savored by students and starving artists on a tight budget.  You boil it for 3 minutes, add the seasoning packet and eat at midnight when you have a sodium craving.  🙂 

I can't get past the stereotype that it's a staple of the poor.  I guess that includes me because I always have a bulk pack of it from Costco in my pantry.  It's my go to midnight feel like something but too lazy to much effort into it meal.   

You're paying $2 for a pack of ramen????? That's highway robbery! I can get it for 33¢ at the store - definitely grumbling about the markup from 25¢... 

On 6/9/2023 at 3:52 PM, twangster said:

I need to drag you with me when I take my mom to try real ramen because this blasphemy will not stand!

I swear my son had ramen at Izumi on the Ovation last year.  I can't find pics though.  

As to ramen and udon stereotypes, I am uncertain that any of the aforementioned stereotypes that noodles are a cheap dish and not to be served with sushi is accurate.

We just got back from 2 weeks in Japan.  We had sushi at least 6 times.  Out of those 6 times, udon or ramen was an option at 4 of those restaurants.  

Also, ramen was on average more expensive than Udon, and ramen was also on average more expensive than sushi.  Even ramen at mom and pop shops.

Just an FYI.

1 hour ago, CruisingNewb said:

I swear my son had ramen at Izumi on the Ovation last year.  I can't find pics though.  

As to ramen and udon stereotypes, I am uncertain that any of the aforementioned stereotypes that noodles are a cheap dish and not to be served with sushi is accurate.

We just got back from 2 weeks in Japan.  We had sushi at least 6 times.  Out of those 6 times, udon or ramen was an option at 4 of those restaurants.  

Also, ramen was on average more expensive than Udon, and ramen was also on average more expensive than sushi.  Even ramen at mom and pop shops.

Just an FYI.

Maybe it was available earlier in the year. I was on Ovation in Sep 22 and it wasn't on the menu by then. Anyhow, I'll chalk this up to another one of RCL's many mysteries in how decisions are made, lol.