The Dog House question

On 2/17/2024 at 8:32 PM, Melon250 said:

I landed on this topic because I was really hoping for a Chicago dog (sailing HOTS 4/21/24), but alas I believe I will be sorely disappointed... A dedicated hot dog house with NO Chicago dog? Ahhh, the sport peppers, neon green chemical relish, poppyseed bun...? I'm guessing if the normal buns are suspect, there will be no "gourmet" buns.

No, no, no....just no. 

2 hours ago, ScottD said:

They are so good especially the brats.... and the potato salad is great

I second this^^^ I think the dog house is one of the better no fee options for a quick bite. Obviously nothing is going to be as good as a Chicago dog in Chicago or a Sonoran dog in AZ or the epic capitol lunch hot dog in Connecticut. IMHO, I will take a mediocre “free” hotdog with a Caribbean view on a cruise any day over any other option! 

The Dog house is underwhelming IMO. No chili or cheese is the biggest sin to me. It seems like an afterthought so they could add a checkbox for an additional complementary option. And that's about as far as it ever got. Really not much effort put into it. It closes too early and on quantum ships it is an out of the way location, easy to miss. Topping selection is pretty lacking.

Right after the restart they were doing on ship baked rolls at the dog house and they were better than the dogs to be honest. Not sure about now but would not be surprised if they are no longer baked on the ship.

But lets be honest, at this point no one should be coming to Royal expecting good complimentary dining options. They barely even put in the effort in their up-charge offerings. Unless you consider raising prices and cutting selection and quality "putting in effort." 

2 minutes ago, ScottD said:

You know what a great addition to the doghouse would be? Funnel cake..you're on the boardwalk..it only makes sense! 

Yep, I've posted the exact same thing before.

My dream is for them to turn the Dog House into a Snack Shack but adding funnel cake is something they could do pretty easily.

3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

As always, food is subjective. Some of us enjoy the included dining options quite a bit. I'm one of them.

At some point, if all the included options seem underwhelming, you gotta look at other cruise lines imo.

I enjoy the complimentary food quite a bit, I even love a handful of dishes. The Dog House is good. Simple enough. I'd hate for it to have a bunch of toppings that just create a longer line. For chili dogs, you can build your own on the Windjammer.

On 2/20/2024 at 1:47 PM, JFCruise said:

At some point, if all the included options seem underwhelming, you gotta look at other cruise lines imo.

I enjoy the complimentary food quite a bit, I even love a handful of dishes. The Dog House is good. Simple enough. I'd hate for it to have a bunch of toppings that just create a longer line. For chili dogs, you can build your own on the Windjammer.

I can’t imagine you would find anything significantly better quality or more abundant options than what’s offered on RC (especially Icon)! IMHO people should stop expecting 5 star service and food quality from an average 3 star mid tier family cruise line. If you are a food snob then you will most likely be disappointed unless you have realistic expectations. Yes, before I’m flamed for the statement, there are certain situations where 5 star service can apply even on a mid tier cruise! 

6 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I can’t imagine you would find anything significantly better quality or more abundant options than what’s offered on RC (especially Icon)! IMHO people should stop expecting 5 star service and food quality from an average 3 star mid tier family cruise line. If you are a food snob then you will most likely be disappointed unless you have realistic expectations. Yes, before I’m flamed for the statement, there are certain situations where 5 star service can apply even on a mid tier cruise! 

As far as quality, I'm sure the luxury lines will beat Royal easily. However, they are way more expensive and not a comparison for RC. But within their direct competition (Carnival, MSC, etc), I agree that all food quality will be around the same.

On 4/14/2023 at 5:32 PM, Ampurp85 said:

The Doghouse has the worst undercooked hotdogs I have ever tasted. I have tried them on all the Oasis classes I have sailed (Harmony, Allure, and Oasis) and they all have been nasty. 

100% agree. If there's a chili dog in the city, I HAVE to try it. Seems to be a miss on RCL's part, although it is nice to have a mid afternoon dog always available 

3 hours ago, ScottD said:

Spoken like a true Philadelphian...the bread DEFINITELY makes the sandwich

I'm sure I mentioned this to you, that's a big problem here... found a place with really good deli meats that really fills their hoagies but their rolls are as soft as hot dog buns.

Found a place that actually has Amoroso rolls... but their "cheesesteak" meat was absolutely disgusting.

Very hard to find both at the same place here. 🙁

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I'm sure I mentioned this to you, that's a big problem here... found a place with really good deli meats that really fills their hoagies but their rolls are as soft as hot dog buns.

Found a place that actually has Amoroso rolls... but their "cheesesteak" meat was absolutely disgusting.

Very hard to find both at the same place here. 🙁

Yeah, it's hard to find the perfect combo of both outside of the area.  Gotta just go get yourself some fresh shaved rib eye from the supermarket and buy a few rolls and make it yourself! 

23 minutes ago, ScottD said:

Yeah, it's hard to find the perfect combo of both outside of the area.  Gotta just go get yourself some fresh shaved rib eye from the supermarket and buy a few rolls and make it yourself! 

My wife has a friend down here originally from Philly whose husband does that but the rolls come from another friend who bakes them herself... now those are good!

We watched the 2023 NFC Championship at their house (along with a couple of SF fans who were obviously not happy).

On 2/19/2024 at 8:47 AM, Ampurp85 said:

Born and raised in Chicago its a disgusting staple. All beef hot dog on a poppyseed bun with sport peppers, onion, relish and a pickle.......no ketchup ever and mustard.

The Chicago Dog: A History of the Windy City Favorite - Levy Restaurants 

Sacrilege!!!! Hot Dog Nirvana. I'm still mourning the closure of a Chicago Dog joint that was a couple miles from home in Altamonte Springs. Owned by 2 women (Chicago natives), served Chicago Dogs, Polish, Italian Beef and a smash Burger dubbed the Ditka, along with the best fast  food fries I've ever eaten. Victims of the pandemic and the insane increase of commodity prices (they used only Vienna Beef dogs). How I miss it.........😥

23 hours ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

Sacrilege!!!! Hot Dog Nirvana. I'm still mourning the closure of a Chicago Dog joint that was a couple miles from home in Altamonte Springs. Owned by 2 women (Chicago natives), served Chicago Dogs, Polish, Italian Beef and a smash Burger dubbed the Ditka, along with the best fast  food fries I've ever eaten. Victims of the pandemic and the insane increase of commodity prices (they used only Vienna Beef dogs). How I miss it.........😥

If only they had  Koegel's hot dogs and Vernors.

Then all would be right in the world

I don't expect a lot, and my expectations should be easy to accomplish.

I am easily pleased with a Costco hot dog as Costco sells them from their snack bar.  Simple.  Always fresh and hot.  And a nice tender bun.  So good, I usually use no condiments.   Yum.  

But the hot dog stand on the ship just does not get this. 

And as far as a hotdog being smothered in vegetables?  And relish?  Gross.  That part I am glad the ship doesn't do.  And proof our tastes are all fortunately different.   

4 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

If only they had  Koegel's hot dogs and Vernors.

Then all would be right in the world

Vernor's? OMG!!! My late father told me stories of Vernor's and a scoop of vanilla ice cream at the neighborhood pharmacy fountain...........and the Vernor's was draft.

Didn't experience that, but growing up in Michigan, I got to drink Vernor's when it was only sold in glass bottles and became....................whatever it is now.

12 hours ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

Vernor's? OMG!!! My late father told me stories of Vernor's and a scoop of vanilla ice cream at the neighborhood pharmacy fountain...........and the Vernor's was draft.

Didn't experience that, but growing up in Michigan, I got to drink Vernor's when it was only sold in glass bottles and became....................whatever it is now.

Yep... i grew up on that and we got to get it at the drug store soda fountain. Also when I was growing up we had an A&W drive up and you could bring your own jug to get root beer.

Good times that will never come again.

On 2/19/2024 at 7:47 AM, Ampurp85 said:

Born and raised in Chicago its a disgusting staple. All beef hot dog on a poppyseed bun with sport peppers, onion, relish and a pickle.......no ketchup ever and mustard.

The Chicago Dog: A History of the Windy City Favorite - Levy Restaurants 

@Ampurp85 No! My colorful hair sister in christ "Disgusting"?! i don't know who hurt you....was it weiner circle...did they give you a milkshake?!

On 3/5/2024 at 9:24 AM, bobroo said:

And there are now a couple Portillo's locations in the Orlando area too.

We went to the first one not long after it opened. I knew nothing about it except that the hype was ridiculous (as were the crowds). I enjoyed it and would probably go back from time to time if it were closer.