Starlink Internet could be coming to Royal Caribbean

The higher speeds would be a big plus for me. Our corporate secure connection takes so much bandwidth that logging in and sustaining connection, needed for my intensive CAD programs and downloading large files, is a hit or miss on the current "high speed" Surf and Stream. I can work fine when in port and most folks are off the ship but during the sea days it struggles and only my Teams connection on my phone works for conference calls. Would make it a whole lot easier to remote work and go on more cruises.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

If I need to download a large file for work while on vacation, the faster I get the file the faster I get back to my vacation.  If it takes 60 minutes to 6 hours on Royal and only 2 minutes on Princess,  Royal has cheated me out of hours of vacation and family time.  

I mean, one could argue you cheated yourself by doing work on vacation.

One good reason I'm glad my employer doesn't allow working outside the USA.

14 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The "problem" with offering more than 80Mbps is there's really no need for anyone to have a use for that kind of bandwidth on a ship.

The benefit of that much bandwidth is you can multitask. Stream music, check these awesome message boards, and upload photos back to the cloud at the same time.

On 6/12/2022 at 5:29 AM, brycemo said:

Hardware is of little concern on the scale of a cruise ship - this is the company that just spend 1.2 Billion on their latest ship. Starlink likely will have cheaper ongoing costs, and without doubt would have a lower cost-per-usage considering the incredible (relative) download speeds Starlink is capable of. I would like to think the price would come down, but even if not, the value for money would be unparalleled by other cruise lines.

13 hours ago, twangster said:

Then is there a need for anyone on a cell phone to ever have it?  5G delivers more right now.  So society just doesn't need throughput on mobile devices and laptops?

Princess delivers more than 50Mbps right now, sometimes as high as over 100Mbps.  

If I need to download a large file for work while on vacation, the faster I get the file the faster I get back to my vacation.  If it takes 60 minutes to 6 hours on Royal and only 2 minutes on Princess,  Royal has cheated me out of hours of vacation and family time.  

My Mac mini I bought several years ago is now almost unusable as new operating system updates consume more and more processing power to support the new features of the OS.  The same holds true of the internet.  As internet capabilities increase, internet developers gobble it up with more video content, whiz-bang graphics etc..  Eventually we will all need both, more processing power and faster internet.

33 minutes ago, Toby said:

My Mac mini I bought several years ago is now almost unusable as new operating system updates consume more and more processing power to support the new features of the OS.  The same holds true of the internet.  As internet capabilities increase, internet developers gobble it up with more video content, whiz-bang graphics etc..  Eventually we will all need both, more processing power and faster internet.

That's a nuance that many don't get when I compare Voom Surf to dial up internet from years ago.   Technically dial up 28.8k baud modems are much slower than the 0.5Mbps download speeds of Surf Voom but given how websites and emails now feature rich content they are effectively the same experience waiting minutes for a page or email to load.

80Mbps might seem okay now but in a few years time 80mbps will feel like how Voom Surf & Stream is today.  

On 6/29/2022 at 8:46 AM, Matt said:

The benefit of that much bandwidth is you can multitask. Stream music, check these awesome message boards, and upload photos back to the cloud at the same time.

I think we also need to keep in mind that Freedom is a test. I can't imagine they will keep the tap wide open once it rolls out in earnest. I would imagine they'll have to revamp their tiers of service. I am going to venture a guess and say that once this goes official, no one will be seeing the speeds folks are getting on Freedom right now. 

I could see them still having some sort of social media tier, only suitable for low bitrate video. Say 1-1.5 Mbs. A Streaming tier which would cap out at around 7-10 Mps and some sort of power user tier at 25-30 Mbps.

I agree this will become even more tiered but for those of us who would cruise more if the internet speeds were better and more reliable, it would be a game changer. I want my brother to cruise but as a mechanical engineer he needs better speeds. I tried to get some work done on my last cruise and what should have been 20-30min took almost two hours because of how the connection works for teams. I hate to say it, but I would pay a little more for better speeds.

If they fully open the magnitoconstimulator to the fullest micropulse actuator and if they flux the contempulator to be proportioned to the helixsticy, the speed will be fully quantomzed.  But, none of that will help if they don't first electocomorbidify the holmium to 750 icombs per millennium.

37 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I agree this will become even more tiered but for those of us who would cruise more if the internet speeds were better and more reliable, it would be a game changer. I want my brother to cruise but as a mechanical engineer he needs better speeds. I tried to get some work done on my last cruise and what should have been 20-30min took almost two hours because of how the connection works for teams. I hate to say it, but I would pay a little more for better speeds.

A side benefit of the low earth orbit satellites that Starlink uses, is the latency that is so important for any sort of video collaboration tools is drastically reduced. IMO, once this gets rolled out it really will be a game changer for those that want to work from cruise ships.

Geez. I wish that I had the problem of having “only” 50 mbps on a cruise ship. I can’t believe Princess already has that. I really don’t have too much interest in trying Princess however, haven’t heard too many good things. Hopefully Royal can increase our Wi-Fi speeds to 50 Mbps soon. I’d settle for 10-15, I’m just tired of only getting 3-4.

I suspect the winds of the military played a heavy hand in this approval.

Also keep in mind that Royal's letter of support came long after SpaceX had applied for mobility use cases.    Royal's letter to the FCC may have played no role in this approval.

Several branches of the US military performed trials.  From KC130 refueling tankers to boots on the ground the military has been testing Starlink long before Royal did.  That is why China is looking at ways to shoot down Starlink satellites - it gives the US military a significant edge on the battlefield.  

There is no question in my mind this approval resulted from the military use cases that tried the technology.  The military quickly decided this is a game changer.  When Musk gave 5,000 terminals to the Ukraine military that was the ultimate proof of concept and the US military saw they needed it now.   Hence the FCC got on board.  

10 hours ago, Al Miller said:

A side benefit of the low earth orbit satellites that Starlink uses, is the latency that is so important for any sort of video collaboration tools is drastically reduced. IMO, once this gets rolled out it really will be a game changer for those that want to work from cruise ships.

Once SpaceX lowers the light shields and begins using lasers between satellites.  That is the key to low latency Starlink but it will have the astronomical societies up in arms.  By that point the military uses will allow Starlink to steam roller over the astronomical societies.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I suspect the winds of the military played a heavy hand in this approval.

Also keep in mind that Royal's letter of support came long after SpaceX had applied for mobility use cases.    Royal's letter to the FCC may have played no role in this approval.

Several branches of the US military performed trials.  From KC130 refueling tankers to boots on the ground the military has been testing Starlink long before Royal did.  That is why China is looking at ways to shoot down Starlink satellites - it gives the US military a significant edge on the battlefield.  

There is no question in my mind this approval resulted from the military use cases that tried the technology.  The military quickly decided this is a game changer.  When Musk gave 5,000 terminals to the Ukraine military that was the ultimate proof of concept and the US military saw they needed it now.   Hence the FCC got on board.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Once SpaceX lowers the light shields and begins using lasers between satellites.  That is the key to low latency Starlink but it will have the astronomical societies up in arms.  By that point the military uses will allow Starlink to steam roller over the astronomical societies.  

Before I get started, I want it known that I don't disagree with anything you say/reported, not at all.

It is worthy of noting though, the military can and does many many things, such as not getting approvals from agencies like the FCC before testing and improving certain systems.  If there is a National Security and highly sensitive purpose for the system, they just do it.  And I can't blame them as there are far too many untrustworthy people in highly sensitive positions through out our government agencies.  So, I suspect that the military were probably already far into testing and improving their systems long before they got into the FCC approval process.  They've probably already morphed the systems capabilities into a much better system than I will ever see in my life time.  Maybe not though, it's just my guess.  

Bottom line, if the system is truly better and faster, I'm all for it on Royal's ships.

39 minutes ago, Moby Dick said:

Before I get started, I want it known that I don't disagree with anything you say/reported, not at all.

It is worthy of noting though, the military can and does many many things, such as not getting approvals from agencies like the FCC before testing and improving certain systems.  If there is a National Security and highly sensitive purpose for the system, they just do it.  And I can't blame them as there are far too many untrustworthy people in highly sensitive positions through out our government agencies.  So, I suspect that the military were probably already far into testing and improving their systems long before they got into the FCC approval process.  They've probably already morphed the systems capabilities into a much better system than I will ever see in my life time.  Maybe not though, it's just my guess.  

Bottom line, if the system is truly better and faster, I'm all for it on Royal's ships.

You are right about the military but Musk will leverage the military so that it benefits the consumer use cases.  Much of the cost of the platform will be covered by military money.  Our tax dollars at work.  The significant prices the military pays will ensure their traffic is secure and prioritized.  Consumers come second.  Musk will use the consumer profits to line his pockets.  Good for him, it's a great business model.   There is little doubt in my mind his arrangement with the military included some influence being applied to gain favor with the FCC.  That's how it works.