Jump to content

Questionable Casino Tactics...


Recommended Posts

As we entered our cabin on Odyssey, February 26th, we were surprised and pleased to already have a free cruise certificate waiting for us on our bed. 

At the end of our cruise, I had amassed a considerable number of points, and was eligible for another cruise.  When I met with the casino host to get the newer certificate, he said since they gave me a certificate at the beginning of the cruise, I was not eligible for another, or even an upgraded one.   Okay.  I guess that's their rule.

 

I thought about it, and went back a second time, meeting with both hosts, for verification of the reasoning.  They both agreed, I was not eligible for another certificate or upgrade.

 

Once home, I was planning another cruise, when I discovered on the first certificate, if I win another certificate on the cruise, it can be combined with the original offer to give me another $500 of casino play.  Well, that couldn't happen now, since they refused me the second certificate. 

 

Further, and I know I have thirty days to book a cruise using these certificates, the thirty day clock began on the first day of the cruise, so the certificate was good only 22 days after the cruise.  Had I been issued a certificate at the end of the cruise, it would not yet be expired. 

 

I  reached out to Casino Royale  hoping for the second and/or updated certificate, but have received no reply.

 

I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.  Just a heads-up, if a person has enough points for another cruise, if they again refuse the certificate, at least hold them to 30 days from when you would have won the additional or upgraded cruise.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

As we entered our cabin on Odyssey, February 26th, we were surprised and pleased to already have a free cruise certificate waiting for us on our bed. 

At the end of our cruise, I had amassed a considerable number of points, and was eligible for another cruise.  When I met with the casino host to get the newer certificate, he said since they gave me a certificate at the beginning of the cruise, I was not eligible for another, or even an upgraded one.   Okay.  I guess that's their rule.

 

I thought about it, and went back a second time, meeting with both hosts, for verification of the reasoning.  They both agreed, I was not eligible for another certificate or upgrade.

 

Once home, I was planning another cruise, when I discovered on the first certificate, if I win another certificate on the cruise, it can be combined with the original offer to give me another $500 of casino play.  Well, that couldn't happen now, since they refused me the second certificate. 

 

Further, and I know I have thirty days to book a cruise using these certificates, the thirty day clock began on the first day of the cruise, so the certificate was good only 22 days after the cruise.  Had I been issued a certificate at the end of the cruise, it would not yet be expired. 

 

I  reached out to Casino Royale  hoping for the second and/or updated certificate, but have received no reply.

 

I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.  Just a heads-up, if a person has enough points for another cruise, if they again refuse the certificate, at least hold them to 30 days from when you would have won the additional or upgraded cruise.

 

 

 

I've always been frustrated by the excessive amounts of "IFs, ANDs, and/or BUTs, the game playing by the Cruise Industry, Airline Industry, Hotel Industry, etc.  They advertise it as a benefit but make so many hoops to jump through, the so called benefits become too frustrating to get, it turns out to not be a benefit but a headache.  

This is a generalized statement.  Yes, there are some "as advertised" situations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, WAYNO said:

As we entered our cabin on Odyssey, February 26th, we were surprised and pleased to already have a free cruise certificate waiting for us on our bed. 

At the end of our cruise, I had amassed a considerable number of points, and was eligible for another cruise.  When I met with the casino host to get the newer certificate, he said since they gave me a certificate at the beginning of the cruise, I was not eligible for another, or even an upgraded one.   Okay.  I guess that's their rule.

 

I thought about it, and went back a second time, meeting with both hosts, for verification of the reasoning.  They both agreed, I was not eligible for another certificate or upgrade.

 

Once home, I was planning another cruise, when I discovered on the first certificate, if I win another certificate on the cruise, it can be combined with the original offer to give me another $500 of casino play.  Well, that couldn't happen now, since they refused me the second certificate. 

 

Further, and I know I have thirty days to book a cruise using these certificates, the thirty day clock began on the first day of the cruise, so the certificate was good only 22 days after the cruise.  Had I been issued a certificate at the end of the cruise, it would not yet be expired. 

 

I  reached out to Casino Royale  hoping for the second and/or updated certificate, but have received no reply.

 

I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.  Just a heads-up, if a person has enough points for another cruise, if they again refuse the certificate, at least hold them to 30 days from when you would have won the additional or upgraded cruise.

 

 

 

That is crazy they did not issue you a new certificate. On Wonder a few weeks ago they issued me a new one. When I got on I had one but at the end of the cruise I had many more points then what it was worth so they issued me a new one. I have no idea why one ship would do this and not the other. Very frustrating that they are so inconsistent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

That is crazy they did not issue you a new certificate. On Wonder a few weeks ago they issued me a new one. When I got on I had one but at the end of the cruise I had many more points then what it was worth so they issued me a new one. I have no idea why one ship would do this and not the other. Very frustrating that they are so inconsistent. 

Sometimes it seems like each ship is its own "Sovereign" Country.  For the most part, I'm guessing that is a good thing.  But, it's the items/policies like this that are a bit frustrating.  One ship should not dictate what goes on on another ship.

JMHO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

Sometimes it seems like each ship is its own "Sovereign" Country.  For the most part, I'm guessing that is a good thing.  But, it's the items/policies like this that are a bit frustrating.  One ship should not dictate what goes on on another ship.

JMHO

All the ships should be working under the same company policies 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

All the ships should be working under the same company policies 

With this issue, I totally agree.

But, I would not expect just because one ship has, for example: SOL beer, or Fritos, or whatecer, that the rest of the fleet should have them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

With this issue, I totally agree.

But, I would not expect just because one ship has, for example: SOL beer, or Fritos, or whatecer, that the rest of the fleet should have them.

I don't think that different food supplies across the fleet could be categorized as the same thing as an uniform and coherent company policy.

We're talking about Casino and rewards policies, they should be the same no matter what ship you're on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

I don't think that different food supplies across the fleet could be categorized as the same thing as an uniform and coherent company policy.

We'll agree to disagree here.  Yes, I believe food is a minor item.  But, as I said, it was just an example.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This does sound smarmy.  If you knew, at the beginning of the cruise that your play would yield you nothing, why would you even bother to play ?  That makes no sense.  No incentive to even try.

Boarded Anthem on March 27, cruise ending April 3 and I was staying on for a back to back.  Any points earned the week of March 27 would not count to the new year.  A lot of people were under the impression points earned on April 1 -in the middle of the cruise-would count for the new year.  Casino host confirmed they would not, another cruiser had asked her many casino hosts on her recent sailings and they too said the points wouldn’t carry over.  Needless to say I skipped gambling last week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This does sound smarmy.  If you knew, at the beginning of the cruise that your play would yield you nothing, why would you even bother to play ?  That makes no sense.  No incentive to even try.

It’s one of the reasons I’m kind of glad we are trying a different line for Alaska this summer, have no plans to try that line again, and don’t have any attachment to their casino program. So will spend more time looking at glaciers and less time looking blackjack hands. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Same thing happened to us on the Enchantment in March.  Certificates in our room on first day that were based on our play from previous sailing. At the end of the cruise the host said he could issue a new certificate if our current play moved us up to a better offer but it would replace the initial certificate because somewhere in the "small print" it states that only one certificate can be earned per sailing.  I wasn't happy.  So, we sail again April 15th on Adventure. I think if we book our certificates from March prior to our April cruise maybe we won't get one at the beginning of our cruise.  We will see.  

Overall we don't have a lot of love for club royale. Seems to be a constant battle with them since we started with RCL.  One sailing I stayed out of the casino to make a stand that my account needed to be straightened out ( long story) because I was tired of spending hours each month on the phone with them. Joke was on me because not gambling on that cruise screwed up my average gaming which worsened my offers from the casino.   

But, I guess, they mail out offers pretty often based on play so do the certificates earned on the ship even matter????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Phred said:

somewhere in the "small print" it states that only one certificate can be earned per sailing

Even if that is true, you would think that they would simply tear up the one they gave you at the start of the cruise and issue a new one of higher value.  The whole thing is just wrong....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Even if that is true, you would think that they would simply tear up the one they gave you at the start of the cruise and issue a new one of higher value.  The whole thing is just wrong....

They did update ours at the end of the cruise which voided the first.  

The host stated the certificate at the beginning of the cruise was based on our play from the previous sailing.  Wonder what happens if you earned and already used one from the previous sailing.  Would you get another certificate on the next sailing based on play from the previous sailing even though you used one from that sailing.  Makes my head hurt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Lexster said:

How much do you actually need to gamble to get free cruise offers, out of curiosity?

No real set amounts. Between what I spent and won over 5 cruises since oct 21' to now, I would say my actual losses are under $500 and I have been getting free interiors plus credit offers each month since Jan.  It is really all about the points. Every $5 is 1 point but you can earn points on house money. If you get 400+ points in a sailing they will issue a certificate. It can be money off or a free sailing. I once got 400 points on $100 because I kept winning. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

No real set amounts. Between what I spent and won over 5 cruises since oct 21' to now, I would say my actual losses are under $500 and I have been getting free interiors plus credit offers each month since Jan.  It is really all about the points. Every $5 is 1 point but you can earn points on house money. If you get 400+ points in a sailing they will issue a certificate. It can be money off or a free sailing. I once got 400 points on $100 because I kept winning. 

So have you ever been offered anything better than an interior?  Or have you been able to Royal Up from the interior to a better stateroom?  Just curious. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Breeda said:

So have you ever been offered anything better than an interior?  Or have you been able to Royal Up from the interior to a better stateroom?  Just curious. 

We've been offered interior, balcony, and Jr. Suite. 

Sometimes we combine offers for an upgrade, and sometimes we buy-up for a better room.  On our last cruise, we asked to upgrade to a Jr. Suite from a balcony.  The upgrade cost was astronomical, so I declined and tried the Royal Up.  That was unsuccessful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this is a new system .

they give you one certificate at the beginning of cruise and they gamble you will play at least the same or better than what you played last time.
They claim it's to give you option  to book the cruise while on board using the next cruise office. 
I did not knew about it during my last cruise and when I came to ask about certificate at the end of the cruise they were surprise I did not got one at the start of the cruise. 
But as I always claim , it will be easier to understand quantum physics than the club royal system , I do not really think even the club royal people understands it ...
The best is to enjoy playing and not play for the points , its always good to ask the host at the end of the cruise if you should get something as many time they might have a glitch in the their "system".

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Breeda said:

So have you ever been offered anything better than an interior?  Or have you been able to Royal Up from the interior to a better stateroom?  Just curious. 

That will depend on your level. I am only prime so my free offers are interiors and I have paid the upgrade to balconies, don't know about RoyalUp. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

That will depend on your level. I am only prime so my free offers are interiors and I have paid the upgrade to balconies, don't know about RoyalUp. 

Being only Prime does not mean that you only get interior offers. I also am prime and get plenty of Balcony offers. Your offers are based on how much you play in the casino, how many hours you spend in the casino, and how much you win/lose in the casino. Plenty of Prime players get Jr suite and balcony offers because many people who only play table games find it difficult to move to signature as you earn so many less points than you do on slots. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They always seem to have multiple offers available from club royal.  I've received them via email, mail, and on-board our recent cruise.  I had 1 in our cabin day 1 and my wife received a certificate toward the end of our recent cruise base on her play that week.  I suggest checking your current available club royal offers:  https://www.clubroyaleoffers.com/     Just need to enter your last name and CA number to see all your available offers.  We haven't use any of the free interior room offers yet, however, we combined an offer for each of us for our next cruise booking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

Being only Prime does not mean that you only get interior offers. I also am prime and get plenty of Balcony offers. Your offers are based on how much you play in the casino, how many hours you spend in the casino, and how much you win/lose in the casino. Plenty of Prime players get Jr suite and balcony offers because many people who only play table games find it difficult to move to signature as you earn so many less points than you do on slots. 

That is good to know. I am fairly new to being prime, so that might be the case and I play decently. I'm hoping to get some balcony and Jr.suite offers in the future

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recommend asking the casino host when you board if there are any certificates.  My friend was hitting prime while onboard, didn’t know you could get a sticker, which gets the free drinks…(this sailing went into April 1, so it was allowed on April 1st.When  I took her to get her sticker I asked about certificates (nine for me) and then I had her ask for herself “oh you should have had one in your cabin”, so they printed it for her.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On Harmony, seems leaving a certificate in the room is a new normal. Cert happened to be the same reward as what I got on Wonder. Only difference is the offer code having a 4 vs 3 in it and ending with a Q.

On another note: Reached 1500+ points in March and still showing as Choice online. In addition, no casino status was printed on SeaPass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2022 at 7:53 PM, Ampurp85 said:

That is good to know. I am fairly new to being prime, so that might be the case and I play decently. I'm hoping to get some balcony and Jr.suite offers in the future

We have been prime for years and have yet to see a Jr. Suite offer.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...