Finding bags while in the departure area.

MuttMutt

So the other day I remember reading something about marking your luggage tags in some way so they are easy to spot when getting off the ship.  It's been playing over and over again in my head  because on my last Liberty of the Seas sailing I had a woman who was tenacious in holding on to my girlfriends bag and basically ignoring me while I tried to explain to her she had the wrong bag.  After multiple times of being extremely polite and being ignored she started to walk away and I held her wrist to prevent her from walking off and again said that it was not her bag.  Anyway I get on Adventure of the Seas in a couple days and I came up with this:

140090227_LuggageTagsdeparture.thumb.jpg.a2afa7d4be97d232bebeb0c51a4cad04.jpg

I think it will work quite well in preventing someone from accidentally taking my bag again.  Figured I may as well share for anyone interested in making their own and It's not too hard to do so if someone wanted one and doesn't have the ability to make one up I can easily toss something together when I get back home.  It's basically setup to be folded twice with the large blank area folded underneath and stapled or taped around a handle much like the luggage tags.  I can EASILY make them the same size as the luggage tags as well if someone wants them that size.  Anyway just wanted to share the option as it may be better than stickers or markers on the tags given out on the ship for spotting bags.

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You need a bumper sticker that says "If you can read this tag, this is not your bag"

Yeah with that woman I did.  She would not even acknowledge me until I put my hand on her wrist and her husband was about 8 feet away calling to her because he had her bag already.  She grabbed on and was just not interested in letting go at all.  For a minute I thought she was going to try and take a swing at me to be honest.  I don't think it would have been a fair fight though since I am about 30 years younger and easily had 100 pounds on her, LOL.

Hopefully my new tags will solve that one. 

If you're looking for something similar, and potentially more durable, there's neoprene luggage handle wraps in a variety of colors. Most 5 packs are $10-$12 on Amazon. My approach is to used two different designs, one for each handle on my checked suitcase, and gluing them shut along the Velcro on the wraps (the wraps are cheap enough to cut off when it's time to replace). They're not coming off easily and mixing designs means less of a chance of someone else using a similar pair of wraps on their luggage.

20 hours ago, MuttMutt said:

Yeah with that woman I did.  She would not even acknowledge me until I put my hand on her wrist and her husband was about 8 feet away calling to her because he had her bag already.  She grabbed on and was just not interested in letting go at all.  For a minute I thought she was going to try and take a swing at me to be honest.  I don't think it would have been a fair fight though since I am about 30 years younger and easily had 100 pounds on her, LOL.

Hopefully my new tags will solve that one. 

I empathize with you as my wife had her bag taken at Southampton -- a similar bag was "found" by Royal, but it wasn't hers.

One of my suitcases is an unusual color (sort of a light, rose color) and I have a bright, big, purple luggage tag on it, so it's easy for me to spot. Our other one, though, is black.  I have a lime-green lock on it, and another bright purple luggage tag on it, but I also put one of these on it.  I run it through the side handles to keep it from slipping.  It's easy to see on the airport carousel and at the pier.  (Yes, they do come in other colors.  Yes, I am obsessed with purple).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR6SYWJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My wife puts multiple strands of curling ribbon on the handle of her suitcase, and curls them up nicely.  There is no way to mistake her luggage for someone else's, regardless of color, size, or shape.  And surprisingly, this ribbon remains intact after many flights and voyages.