CruiseLifeRick

Current Cruise Director & Activities Manager List

On February 13, 2018 at 1:13 PM, JLMoran said:

Just saw a review on ShipMate that was posted Sunday by a traveler on Freedom of the Seas. Abe was their CD! So as long as he does transfer in the next 46 days, I’m gonna be a lucky ducky!

Your Cruise Director will be Drew Devine. He takes over on March 17th.

19 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Your Cruise Director will be Drew Devine. He takes over on March 17th.

Not sure if I should be reacting to this with sad face, happy face (because at least it won't be Bobby Brown), or something else...

Someone on Cruise Critic said that Adventure CD Casey Pelter's contract is just 2 months. Can someone on board now possibly find out who will be CD after that? We are sailing in May. Thanks.  I will post this on the Adventure thread also.

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Not sure if I should be reacting to this with sad face, happy face (because at least it won't be Bobby Brown), or something else...

Yes - definitely be happy that it isn't Bobby Brown! 

Drew gets good reviews. People seem to like him generally. He was permanent CD on Oasis of the Seas for 3 years, so Royal clearly value him as well.

3 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

It's Clo O'Connor according to posts on other boards.

So, why are folks so interested in who the cruise director is or isn't? Yeah, nice to know, but, that isn't going to influence me one way or the other when booking a cruise. I look at the itinerary and ship amenities. Or am I being obtuse?:27_sunglasses:

Just now, rjac said:

So, why are folks so interested in who the cruise director is or isn't? Yeah, nice to know, but, that isn't going to influence me one way or the other when booking a cruise. I look at the itinerary and ship amenities. Or am I being obtuse?:27_sunglasses:

This is a really common question.  I agree with you @rjac, that it would not stop me from booking a certain cruise either, but a good cruise director can make the cruise experience a bit more interesting.  Harmony is our favourite ship to date and our CD was Bobby Brown, who was a bore.  That did not stop us from having a good time.  But then I think of the cruise where we had Tim Connor and some of the funnier moments that I recall all involve him. 

10 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

This is a really common question.  I agree with you @rjac, that it would not stop me from booking a certain cruise either, but a good cruise director can make the cruise experience a bit more interesting.  Harmony is our favourite ship to date and our CD was Bobby Brown, who was a bore.  That did not stop us from having a good time.  But then I think of the cruise where we had Tim Connor and some of the funnier moments that I recall all involve him. 

To be honest with you, I remember some CDs who were pretty good and some not so good. But then again, I have no idea who they were! As long as my drink package is good to go, they all are OK with me. :3_grin:

For anyone sailing on the SY group cruise - you will have Marc Walker as CD. He starts 10/23 and will do both the Transatlantic and inaugural season from Miami, through to February 9.

That should be fun! Hoping that they can also fit Abe into the Symphony schedule at some point. Tweeted Royal to say this.

3 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Just been told that Bobby Brown will be the CD on the SY TA. Will they ever learn? Very disappointing news.

I was going to book that sailing. Should I even bother anymore, or should I look into other options?

You should still book it.  Don't let a CD make or break your cruise.  Harmony was my favourite cruise to date and we had Bobby Brown.

10 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

You should still book it.  Don't let a CD make or break your cruise.  Harmony was my favourite cruise to date and we had Bobby Brown.

I'm still not sure. Several sea days and cold weather require a dynamic CD. If he can't pull off a 7NT Caribbean sailing (bread and butter of cruising), how on earth will he do a Transatlantic on the world's largest?

I was wanting to spend a great deal of time at the Activities as well. 

12 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

I'm still not sure. Several sea days and cold weather require a dynamic CD. If he can't pull off a 7NT Caribbean sailing (bread and butter of cruising), how on earth will he do a Transatlantic on the world's largest?

I was wanting to spend a great deal of time at the Activities as well. 

What happened to Marc Walker doing the TA?

2 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

What happened to Marc Walker doing the TA?

Marc is onboard as scheduled, but it turns out that he takes over in Miami. I wish that he had clarified that before hand, as he basically tricked me into thinking that he would be CD and I got really excited.

13 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Do you have any recommendations for a replacement cruise? No longer interested in the SY TA if Bobby is CD.

Symphony left St. Nazaire yesterday with 2 CD's, Bobby Brown and Michele Scarpato. Fingers crossed that Bobby will be working behind the scenes and that the guests will enjoy Michele hosting the activities.

Michele will be our CD on our B2B in July - anyone got feedback on him? He was Activities Manager when we sailed Allure in 2015, but I didn't pay enough attention.

Amy Tripp is the take out Activities Manager for the Symphony, although Margot van Erck will take over in June. Hoping that both of them are better than Katy McCullagh on Harmony last summer, as I felt that she was very inexperienced.

On 2/12/2018 at 3:28 PM, Joe01 said:

Rate the CD's whom you have had by this criteria:

• Fantastic
  • Good
  • OK
  • Bad

Fantastic - Joff Eaton; Abe Hughes; Leigh Xuereb (no longer with RCI)

Good - Jimmy Rhodes

OK - Jerome Sueur (probably good but didn't get enough of an impression); Casey Pelter

Bad - John Blair; Bobby Brown

I think my personal favorite cruise director was Luke Arrowsmith! Missing him on RC ships!

3 minutes ago, KAA said:

I think my personal favorite cruise director was Luke Arrowsmith! Missing him on RC ships!

Yeah, he left about 2 years ago. Never had him, but seemed like a good CD.

Quite a few CD's have left recently. Any Activities Managers that you could see moving up to CD?