Australia/NZ Cruising News

3 hours ago, steverk said:

I have a quick question for all of the Australia/New Zealand cruisers on the board!

I'm flying from the United States to Sydney for a Celebrity cruise that ends in Auckland. What currency should I use to tip the crew while on board?

Both Aussie dollar and NZ dollar would be fine. Even US dollars would be ok too, but I think AUD or NZD would be preferable, since they would be able to spend it onshore.  

When cruising the South Pacific I have even used leftover currency from the islands, as the crew will spend time there during their time off.

On 12/21/2023 at 2:08 PM, KWofPerth said:

So hardly ever?! 😁

I must admit I really do love being in a country that doesn't normally tip and includes tax and all other costs on the price tag. It makes a heck of a lot easier. Ocassioanlly I'll tip for absolutly exceptional service but or if I seea a servier worker is having a tough day but it is certainly enver expected). It used to be a pain when I lived the US to try and work out the cost of a meal because you had to work out tax and tips on top of the menu price. 

1 hour ago, EmersonNZ said:

I must admit I really do love being in a country that doesn't normally tip and includes tax and all other costs on the price tag. It makes a heck of a lot easier. Ocassioanlly I'll tip for absolutly exceptional service but or if I seea a servier worker is having a tough day but it is certainly enver expected). It used to be a pain when I lived the US to try and work out the cost of a meal because you had to work out tax and tips on top of the menu price. 

I was in Texas for thanksgiving and the subject come up .

You Australians don’t tip ,such cheap Charlie’s. And I went through it and why .

At the end of the day they were shaking their heads and saying ,how did we get this system.
They said it’s out of control even the self serve check out wants a donation.

1 hour ago, EmersonNZ said:

I don't understand why the sales tax isn't included on the price ticket up front. I remember buying something once in Fort Lauderdale and looking out what I thought was the correct amount only to have them ring it up at a higher price because of that pesky tax. 😕

On 12/22/2023 at 2:09 AM, FionaMG said:

I don't understand why the sales tax isn't included on the price ticket up front. I remember buying something once in Fort Lauderdale and looking out what I thought was the correct amount only to have them ring it up at a higher price because of that pesky tax. 😕

I agree it doesn't make much sense.  Buy gasoline and the posted price includes tax. Buy a roast beef sandwich and you pay tax.

8 hours ago, steverk said:

I've got an odd question.  I'm going on my first Australia cruise in February.  I want to avoid foreign transaction fees on my credit card. Will the on board charges go through an Australian or American credit card processor?

They were processed in Sydney,I don’t know about the current situation as I have a heap of U.S cash and just pay the bill onboard.

There is an option at check in to have it processed in the U.S. buy a third party though.

11 hours ago, steverk said:

avoid foreign transaction fees on my credit card

We tend to take US cash with us, also you can buy (OBC) from Royal, like buying a shore excursion and pay for it locally and so no foreign transaction fees. The reate AUD to USD is $0.66, so $1000 USD is $1500 AUD.

There are credit cards which have no foreign transaction fees, so you may wish to apply for one of those to us on board. 

We also have a HSBC foreign currency debit Visa card, and I can load it up with USD. It is the only card in Australia where I can go to one of there specific banks in Sydney and load physical USD with no exchange fees.   

On 12/29/2023 at 11:34 PM, steverk said:

I've got an odd question.  I'm going on my first Australia cruise in February.  I want to avoid foreign transaction fees on my credit card. Will the on board charges go through an Australian or American credit card processor?

I use an Australian credit card with no international transaction fees, however it does tell me how much I have 'saved' every time Royal process a international transaction. It's the same for both Australian and US sailings I've done. If you add your US credit card at check-in you should be fine, as we are the ones who have to pay the fees. 

8 hours ago, steverk said:

So Australians pay a foreign transaction fee when sailing on Royal out of Australia?  That stinks!  I did not expect that.

I was just on Virgin last week out of Melbourne and it's a similar thing. The local P&O line doesn't, but not sure about the other Carnival brands.

image.png.299a0569951e4b4f3f4eb39d2cf89bc6.png

I LOVED Spectrum out of Singapore! The 2 main things I want on a cruise are the outdoor pool in full sun, and the specialty restaurants. On my cruise of majority Asian passengers, it seems what they wanted was indoor solarium and buffet/MDR...so I could always get a primo seat by the pool, and could get a seat at any restaurant with no booking - it was awesome!

What I didn't like was the reconfiguration of large sections of the ship which have been blocked off for suite or VIP guests.

On 1/6/2024 at 6:44 PM, EnSeven said:

I LOVED Spectrum out of Singapore! The 2 main things I want on a cruise are the outdoor pool in full sun, and the specialty restaurants. On my cruise of majority Asian passengers, it seems what they wanted was indoor solarium and buffet/MDR...so I could always get a primo seat by the pool, and could get a seat at any restaurant with no booking - it was awesome!

What I didn't like was the reconfiguration of large sections of the ship which have been blocked off for suite or VIP guests.

In contrast, we really enjoyed the indoor pool. Climate control, no sunburn...Perfect!  Also, the Solarium is beautiful.

I missed, though, having a pub onboard. The Esplanade does not match up to the Promenade on other classes, but the Music Hall and 270* Theatre are great venues.

What I have realised over time is that every class has its pros and cons. There are compromises and benefits to each.

I loved sailing through Asia for the second time. I have now done the South Pacific twice and Asia twice. Each are great in their own way. Any questions, please feel free to ask 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mattymay said:

Anyone have any theories about the Quantum transpacific cancellation? 

My only thought was as it is meant to be going to Singapore for dry-dock that maybe the timelines have moved a bit. Is this when they are going to fix the Northstar do you think?

4 hours ago, mattymay said:

I would say extra time in dry dock.

Rumours are it’s getting shore power fitted and will be deployed in California over the northern winter.

If so ,it will probably be Californicated like Navigator was.

I'm booked on Ovation's last cruise of the 2024-2025 Australian season followed by the transpacific to Hawaii.   Both have been closed for new bookings since December.  The next cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver remains open.

There may be something bigger going on involving redeploying multiple ships.  Or maybe not.   Time will tell. 

8 hours ago, twangster said:

I'm booked on Ovation's last cruise of the 2024-2025 Australian season followed by the transpacific to Hawaii.   Both have been closed for new bookings since December.  The next cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver remains open.

There may be something bigger going on involving redeploying multiple ships.  Or maybe not.   Time will tell. 

I would love to know how Spectrum is going with it’s bookings in Shanghai.

I don’t think it will be there for very long and will go back to Singapore when Anthem leaves April 2025.

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

I would love to know how Spectrum is going with it’s bookings in Shanghai.

I don’t think it will be there for very long and will go back to Singapore when Anthem leaves April 2025.

I didn't even know that  Royal had ANY ships back in China.  Interesting....

On 1/27/2024 at 12:02 PM, mattymay said:

Could be something to do with the North Star being out of service? Maybe going into dry dock for repairs and they'll add other features? I don't think Quantum has been selling well regardless, each time I do a mock booking, there's a heap of cabins still available. I have a feeling it's sayonara to Quantum in Brisbane and we'll only have one Royal ship in Australia - Ovation unless they send us Voyager

Maybe the transpacific just wasn't selling well. The thing about Brisbane is most of the ports that it sails to are the same ports that Ovation sails to in Sydney and Ovation is almost sold out on all South Pacific cruises.  I honestly don't think there's much of a cruising market in Brisbane because of this... 

Now if Quantum went to different ports than Ovation, I could see the appeal more - Moreton Island, Fraser Island, even up to PNG, the Solomon Islands, heck even Darwin.

On 1/27/2024 at 4:55 AM, twangster said:

I'm booked on that as well.  Also missing is the 9 night April 3, 2025 South Pacific cruise. 

I'd say I'll see you on board,  but maybe not!

Having to fly from New Zealand we prefer cruising from Brisbane because Quantum is cheaper than Sydney. It allows us to purchase star class cabins at a reasonable price.

I guess when Royal releases their next set of deployments in February it will become clearer as to which ships are left for Australia and Asia market.

1 hour ago, ScottishRobbie said:

Reading reports on Facebook from people booked on the 2025 Eastbound Trans Pacific on Ovation to Hawaii that their Travel Agents have started received cancellation notices.

So, does that imply that is either staying in Australia or heading off to Asia?

3 hours ago, ScottishRobbie said:

Reading reports on Facebook from people booked on the 2025 Eastbound Trans Pacific on Ovation to Hawaii that their Travel Agents have started received cancellation notices.

Cruise offers in Melbourne have a live booking site and the transpacific and the cruise before are still advertised but just don’t show prices .

The leg from Hawaii to Vancouver has prices and available to book online.

Maybe it will do the scenic route via Singapore??

It's rather strange.  I'm booked b2b from Australia to Vancouver in April 2025. I've heard nothing from Royal about any cancelation. As noted,  the first leg is no longer listed. So, is the whole thing going to be canceled with Ovation going somewhere other than Alaska in 2025?  If not, how does Ovation get from Australia to Hawaii/Vancouver? 

11 minutes ago, steverk said:

It's rather strange.  I'm booked b2b from Australia to Vancouver in April 2025. I've heard nothing from Royal about any cancelation. As noted,  the first leg is no longer listed. So, is the whole thing going to be canceled with Ovation going somewhere other than Alaska in 2025?  If not, how does Ovation get from Australia to Hawaii/Vancouver? 

It looks like Ovation is going North,it has a booking in Darwin.

https://portinfo.darwinport.com.au/webx/#

IMG_0999.thumb.png.7d6cbfece24b966c3adabfdc1a27313b.png