Across the Seas & Through the Stars - Actually a cruise live blog - Quantum 1 March

LogicallyLazy

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Thanks for sharing all the info about what Royal Caribbean is sending you in the days leading up to your cruise.

No problem Matt. With all the ambiguity surrounding cruises restarting, I thought to share most of the things that Royal has in terms of covid measures and does special arrangements in that regard. While, it may not be indicative if these measures would be in place outside of Singapore, it gives a good baseline 

1 hour ago, LogicallyLazy said:

No problem Matt. With all the ambiguity surrounding cruises restarting, I thought to share most of the things that Royal has in terms of covid measures and does special arrangements in that regard. While, it may not be indicative if these measures would be in place outside of Singapore, it gives a good baseline 

Remind me again, how far in advance did you book the cruise? Curious how pricing has looked and how sold out or not your sailing is.

9 hours ago, Matt said:

Remind me again, how far in advance did you book the cruise? Curious how pricing has looked and how sold out or not your sailing is.

They announced the cruises some time in October if I’m not wrong. I booked the sky loft for 4 on 21 Nov and paid SGD$3778 (~USD$2854). Got a reprice a few days later to $3578. 

Upgraded to the owner’s loft on 18 Jan with a new total of $5382. (~USD$4066)

Not sure how that compares with other sailings as from what I see so far, other sailing seem way higher priced 

In the beginning, my sailing was one of the cheapest ones as it’s a few weeks before the school holidays here and had the a lot of vacancies. It’s slowly filling up but definitely no where near capacity, unlike the Dec cruises or the past Chinese New Year sailing. 

On 2/21/2021 at 6:06 PM, LogicallyLazy said:

They announced the cruises some time in October if I’m not wrong. I booked the sky loft for 4 on 21 Nov and paid SGD$3778 (~USD$2854). Got a reprice a few days later to $3578. 

Upgraded to the owner’s loft on 18 Jan with a new total of $5382. (~USD$4066)

Not sure how that compares with other sailings as from what I see so far, other sailing seem way higher priced 

In the beginning, my sailing was one of the cheapest ones as it’s a few weeks before the school holidays here and had the a lot of vacancies. It’s slowly filling up but definitely no where near capacity, unlike the Dec cruises or the past Chinese New Year sailing. 

Make sure to look and see if they charged gratuities on your account summary. Star Class is supposed to have complimentary gratuities; however, I have booked a couple Star Class SG sailings and each time they incorrectly added gratuities. I had to call to get the charges removed. 

On 2/12/2021 at 10:38 PM, LogicallyLazy said:

None other than Elizabeth (Eli) Wong. Now, I don't really know much or follow specific genies and who are well known, but I know I've heard the name go around before, so I guess that's a good sign.

Eli is exceptional! We have done 2 SG cruises recently in SC. We were assigned Eli on our first cruise and requested her again for our second one. She will take great care of you!

5 hours ago, Mykl said:

Make sure to look and see if they charged gratuities on your account summary. Star Class is supposed to have complimentary gratuities; however, I have booked a couple Star Class SG sailings and each time they incorrectly added gratuities. I had to call to get the charges removed. 

Thanks for the info. Luckily, I was aware of the complimentary gratuities. I had to call in to upgrade and had done a mock booking online to see that the gratuities were added and highlighted this over the phone. At the time, there was a system glitch where they were unable to input the comp grats, so they just omitted the final payment of it. It was a few weeks of seeing “Pay remaining balance” on the cruise planner before I they finally removed the charge 

4 hours ago, Mykl said:

Eli is exceptional! We have done 2 SG cruises recently in SC. We were assigned Eli on our first cruise and requested her again for our second one. She will take great care of you!

That’s awesome! So far all the communications with her have been phenomenal. She’s been able to answer all my questions and even managed to go above and beyond with some of our requests. And we haven’t even started cruising yet! ?

While planning my dining itinerary, Eli sent over this piece of information that I thought I would share.
 AE4C2B94-65B0-42FC-B3C0-203F3D7F0442.thumb.jpeg.95f80636105cdfb2375a589668b28721.jpeg

I don’t recall if they sold the key on this sailing but it’s currently not on my cruise planner. If they did sell it, it may be that chops is fully booked for guests with the key. 

Of course, I have no way of knowing why Chops isn’t open but I can tell you that on my last SC cruise, which was on Oasis Dec 2019, Chops was closed on embarkation day as well.  The reason was very similar to your guess.  The Chops staff was engaged in serving the Key folks in the MDR.  They didn’t have the staff to cover both venues, so they closed Chops.  In my case, I was offered Jamie’s as an alternative to Chops.  It doesn’t sound like that is an option for you. Frankly, I would be surprised if they were serving Key personnel and not providing SC with a specialty option.  My guess is that no specialty dining will be operating for lunch on embarkation day.  They didn’t leave you with much of an option, did they ?  Personally I think the CK lunch options are rather -meh-.  Maybe ask the Genie what options you have for in-suite lunch.  I know....I just posted a long diatribe about NOT ordering lunch in-suite on boarding day, but it really seems like they are offering little choice.

20 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Personally I think the CK lunch options are rather -meh-.  Maybe ask the Genie what options you have for in-suite lunch.  I know....I just posted along diatribe about NOT ordering lunch in-suite on boarding day, but it really seems like they are offering little choice.

Yeah, the lunch menu doesn’t have as much...excitement to it. Based on @Lovetocruise2002, I actually wanted to compare the fillet at CK to Chops personally, but I feel like going for CK twice in one day when we have speciality dining is a little bit of a waste, especially on a 3 night cruise. 

But I’ll take what I can. If I was originally in Sky class, I would have gone to CK for lunch anyway. 

My advice is to find out when the CK is serving their filet and make sure you go.  It’s very, very good.  You should be able to make it to Chops a different night or for lunch during a sea day.

I definitely don’t think you want to do CK twice in one day since you have so many other specialties to try !

11 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

My advice is to find out when the CK is serving their filet and make sure you go.  It’s very, very good.  You should be able to make it to Chops a different night or for lunch during a sea day.

I definitely don’t think you want to do CK twice in one day since you have so many other specialties to try !

Based on the menu Eli sent over. Day 1 dinner is filet night at CK? It’s okay though, with any luck I can always try it on another sailing in the future. Fingers crossed

17 minutes ago, LogicallyLazy said:

Based on the menu Eli sent over. Day 1 dinner is filet night at CK? It’s okay though, with any luck I can always try it on another sailing in the future. Fingers crossed

YMMV but on Anthem, the CK manager did tell me that they can make the filet any night for SC guests. @TheHobbysalso confirmed this when he sailed Anthem.

Here’s what I am getting at...it might not hurt to ask if they can make you the CK filet for lunch on embarkation day (ask your genie to request this ahead of time). If they are serving the filet on Night 1, perhaps they can make it a few hours earlier, and then you can go to Chops for dinner.

To throw another wrench into your plans though, the Night 1 Filet menu in CK is one of my all time favourites. Not just because of the filet but the entire dinner menu is perfect! The pork belly is amazing!! 

7 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Filet twice in 1 day ?  Hmmmm....

Not sure if that is good thing or not lol

I was actually thinking that @LogicallyLazycould do CK filet for lunch in Day 1 and Chops for dinner another night. That would allow for comparison and not have two filets in one day. 

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Here’s what I am getting at...it might not hurt to ask if they can make you the CK filet for lunch on embarkation day (ask your genie to request this ahead of time). If they are serving the filet on Night 1, perhaps they can make it a few hours earlier, and then you can go to Chops for dinner.

Oh I did not know this was possible. Thanks. I will see if Eli can do anything about that. 

I will be going to chops for 2 dinners as my dad absolutely loves seafood (I’m looking at you seafood tower ?) I can spread out the filets. But I’m an absolute carnivore, so filet twice in one day may not actually be out of the question. Lol