Royal Caribbean Blog

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not just the pool deck.  Outside watching the ship sail away from a port a mask is required.  Sitting on the promenade deck outside reading a book - wear a mask.   Visiting the helipad - wear a mask. 

This is why i don't think there will be any issues reducing capacity.  Many guests will choose not to sail, they won't need to cancel select guests to achieve 50% capacity.

“Skyrocketing”??  Public data just does not support this statement. 

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Jill said:

Disappointed that masks are required on the pool deck. Hopefully that’ll change for US cruises to the Caribbean. I don’t mind wearing one walking around, elevators etc. but sitting in the sun on the pool deck is pretty much a deal breaker. 

Face Masks
Face masks are required in all areas of the pool deck unless you’re in the water, where you should continue to observe physical distancing

Just imagine what those mask will smell like later in the day after you’ve sat in it in the Caribbean sun. 

15 hours ago, CruisinForABruisin said:

But why would their stance lighten in the area with substantially more covid cases?

Well, because it doesn’t make sense. I can be outside at the port next to the ship and not need a mask, but if I’m outside on the ship, I do?  And on top of that, I just had 2 negative tests plus a health screen to get on it. 

I just went to Disney World a week ago. We went there knowing the rules and were happy to follow them.  I think the same thing will happen with cruising. If you really want to go back to sea you'll know in advance what is expected and will be happy to comply. If you don't want to wear the mask then just wait a bit.  Everyone travels differently and for some, that experience that they expect may mean waiting a little bit longer.  It will all work out.  We'll get out there eventually.  And I am HAPPY to be one of the first to sail to pave the way and "test the waters" for those that want to wait. 🙂  

4 hours ago, DunwoodyDad said:

Well, because it doesn’t make sense. I can be outside at the port next to the ship and not need a mask, but if I’m outside on the ship, I do?  And on top of that, I just had 2 negative tests plus a health screen to get on it. 

After all the passengers had long departed and the crew members were the only ones left on the ships for months, they still made all the crew members wear masks outside of their cabins.  This is as close to a bubble as you could imagine as they would be at sea for weeks.  The only interaction with anyone out of the bubble would have been during provisioning.  Doesn't make sense that is no one new was being introduced to a bubble that they would still need masks after the quarantine/incubation period, but they still required them.

To be super clear here, I am fine wearing a mask in general. I also think it totally makes sense to wear them indoors except in staterooms. All I am questioning is wearing them while outside especially when this is in line with CDC guidance (distanced) and is in line with almost all state and local guidance as well. 

41 minutes ago, DunwoodyDad said:

All I am questioning is wearing them while outside especially when this is in line with CDC guidance (distanced) and is in line with almost all state and local guidance as well. 

I generally agree. My hope is this rule will be tweaked.  

I fully expect many rules to change in next 90+ days. They are going to be learning on the fly and I don't think the rules we see today are exactly what will happen as cruises begin.

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

I generally agree. My hope is this rule will be tweaked.  

I fully expect many rules to change in next 90+ days. They are going to be learning on the fly and I don't think the rules we see today are exactly what will happen as cruises begin.

I'm also hoping that it changes. The regulations now really only apply to Singapore cruises, since they're all that is approved so far (fingers crossed for others). I know mask wearing is more normal (before 2020) in most Asian areas than it is in the US. Thinking that may have something to do with the sweeping mask mandates.

11 hours ago, DunwoodyDad said:

Like many countries it's compulsory to wear a mask outside your house in Singapore, so it is just an extension of that rule I am assuming. May be different in other countries.

13 minutes ago, mattymay said:

Like many countries it's compulsory to wear a mask outside your house in Singapore, so it is just an extension of the that rule I am assuming. May be different in other countries.

Yeah something tells me the discussion around the typical Singapore dinner table isn't "You mean we have to wear a mask on the cruise?".

On 10/9/2020 at 10:06 AM, Marlena said:

I think 3 months ago I would have been a very excited lets go attitude towards cruising. But as numbers are now skyrocketing I dont feel like it's a good idea RIGHT NOW. That being said I still can't wait to go but present situation is kind of grim looking.

5 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

Might not be skyrocketing in relative terms but it's still completely out of control and only going to worsen as it goes into winter.

US Daily cases - 50,000+

Singapore Daily cases - 2

It's not hard to see why they have chosen Singapore as the testing ground.

17 hours ago, mattymay said:

Might not be skyrocketing in relative terms but it's still completely out of control and only going to worsen as it goes into winter.

US Daily cases - 50,000+

Singapore Daily cases - 2

It's not hard to see why they have chosen Singapore as the testing ground.

I disagree with your conclusion, the total number of daily new cases in the US has remained relatively constant since peeks in late July early August timeframe.

Comparing USA numbers and Singapore numbers really isn't a great idea regardless due to the sheer differences in land mass, and overall population

Below is the latest G7 plus Singapore data below (numbers normalized for population) ... only Japan and Singapore stand out as being in control.  Here is the good news.:

The safety protocols that the cruise ships are using (Med and Asia) and proposing in North America are well beyond almost any other country's.  I would feel more safe on a cruise ship than in my local grocery store.

image.thumb.png.c9941b8366518b426b3ca1c38ae69d79.png

5 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

I disagree with your conclusion, the total number of daily new cases in the US has remained relatively constant since peeks in late July early August timeframe.

Comparing USA numbers and Singapore numbers really isn't a great idea regardless due to the sheer differences in land mass, and overall population

Ignore the numbers, I am just pointing out that the virus in under control in Singapore (they can trace and isolate every single case), where in the US it is not.

Anyways, back on topic. I'm interested to see the Singapore experience, as our government has pretty much said we will be banned entering America and Europe until at least 2022. So a trip to Singapore might be on the cards.

35 minutes ago, mattymay said:

Ignore the numbers, I am just pointing out that the virus in under control in Singapore (they can trace and isolate every single case), where in the US it is not.

Anyways, back on topic. I'm interested to see the Singapore experience, as our government has pretty much said we will be banned entering America and Europe until at least 2022. So a trip to Singapore might be on the cards.

That’s a great trip to make; definitely on my bucket list; a bit more of a logistical challenge from the US.  I hope you make it and I hope it is  amazing!

On 10/9/2020 at 1:17 PM, DunwoodyDad said:

To be super clear here, I am fine wearing a mask in general. I also think it totally makes sense to wear them indoors except in staterooms. All I am questioning is wearing them while outside especially when this is in line with CDC guidance (distanced) and is in line with almost all state and local guidance as well. 

Agree with the point on " CDC guidance (distanced) " but my thoughts are even with reduced sailing capacity I have trouble imagining the pool, sun deck or solarium on a sea day where i could effectively maintain social distancing.

There's a couple things to recognize when looking at new case numbers in isolation as an absolute indicator of virus spread. That data is inherently flawed and so are conclusions being drawn from it. 

• First, there is growing recognition by public health officials and epidemiologists that the virus cannot be suppressed such that there is zero risk of viral spread. Places can get close but it takes lock-downs and shuttering of businesses to do it and these are not sustainable for a number of reasons not the least of which is the economic and social costs of doing that.
  • The WHO is latching on to this trend. You can read about this in the WSJ if you have a subscription. You may be able to get to the articles I'm speaking of w/o a subscription - worth a try. Google today's WSJ.
  • The virus can be contained and it's impact on public health can be decreased - and already is being both contained and decreased regionally with reasonable mitigation measures.

The point of the foregoing is that restoring appropriately restricted human activity and mobility is becoming a more acceptable alternative to lock-downs and shuttering of varying severity. It's known that the PH benefits derived therefrom are not sufficient to warrant the social and economic costs of them. That thinking is going to weigh in favor of restarting cruise ship operations. 

7 minutes ago, JeffB said:

That thinking is going to weigh in favor of restarting cruise ship operations. 

You are preaching to the choir here.  I'm not convinced the CDC will adopt this line of thinking with respect to cruise ships.  Having been overruled they have a chip on their shoulder and potentially a new administration coming in that they can bully to get their way in 2021.  

Well, the "choir" still has hold-outs or folks that just aren't convinced. My mission isn't complete.

You could be right about the "chip on the shoulder" thing. Reputations to protect and all that. The buffer for that sort of thing is, IMO, Mike Pence and, Donald Trump. Believe me, I am no Trump fan but Pence stepped in and told Redfield, nope, you're not extending the NSO through February 2021. I'll give you a month.

My take is that the writing is on the wall for the CDC and there are signals from substantial institutions (like WHO among others) weighing against the CDC's position to keep the cruise industry shuttered. Still, there has been some rational support for the risk of congregate settings of the size presented aboard a cruise ship.

Trump has a record of dismissing that even though it is rational ...... and I'm not saying I agree with him on this sort of thing. We may just be in a confluence of circumstance that is going to get cruise ships running again from US ports.