Which ship

Hello, 

Back since sunday from our cruise at the Mediterranean with Symphony of the seas. It was our first cruise (with my girlfriend, both 26 from Belgium). We L O V E D it!!! 

We wanna do a cruise again next year, we're thinking about the Carribean in January or February for no longer than 9 days. 

But we really don't know which ship. We really liked the Solarium, the Promenade and Central Park!!! I really think we're gonna miss it if we chose another ship.

I was looking for Freedom or Anthem. Because I think all the Oasis Class ships are the same, we really loved it but at the other side we want to do something else... It's very hard to make a discission.... 

But if I look at YouTube Movies from those ships I really don't like it. The pools are so different, not so nice like SOTS ? Also the Promenade look so small.... No Aqua theater or no Studio B/ice (not sure about this one)... It looks older.. 

Any thoughts about this? 

Thank you people 

Freedom is older, Anthem is fairly new.  I've never been on Anthem but have done a few on Freedom.  I've also done the Oasis class, my favorite is Freedom.  Its smaller but it doesn't feel like it, less people.  I think Harmony is coming to Port Canaveral so there is another choice.  Some of those things you mention, I haven't missed on any ship that doesn't have them.  You find other things to do.  Something else Freedom doesn't have, Boardwalk.  But if you only take one a year, might as well pick the ship you really want to sail.  No sense settling.  I always start by looking at the deck plans for the ship I want to sail.  Then I read as many reviews I can (some people you can't make happy and some you can't disappoint) and filter what I want on the cruise.  There is a lot of experience here and I'm sure you will get all kinds of answers.  Good luck with your choice. 

6 minutes ago, arebee said:

Freedom is older, Anthem is fairly new.  I've never been on Anthem but have done a few on Freedom.  I've also done the Oasis class, my favorite is Freedom.  Its smaller but it doesn't feel like it, less people.  I think Harmony is coming to Port Canaveral so there is another choice.  Some of those things you mention, I haven't missed on any ship that doesn't have them.  You find other things to do.  Something else Freedom doesn't have, Boardwalk.  But if you only take one a year, might as well pick the ship you really want to sail.  No sense settling.  I always start by looking at the deck plans for the ship I want to sail.  Then I read as many reviews I can (some people you can't make happy and some you can't disappoint) and filter what I want on the cruise.  There is a lot of experience here and I'm sure you will get all kinds of answers.  Good luck with your choice. 

Thank you for the information. You're very helpful. It's really a difficult discission. You're maybe right, we normally just gonna take one cruise a year.. But we also like to compare... So... ? 

You may want to consider the itinerary as well.  Depending what ports you want to visit you may find a non-Oasis class ship offers a different itinerary that may be more to your liking.  For example, to visit the ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao) you'll need to sail something other than Oasis class.  You'll find these ports on some "Southern Caribbean" itineraries. 

One of the things I enjoy about Royal Caribbean is the diversity of ships.  Trying different ships is half the fun!

I would advise against Anthem if you don't want to sail longer than 9 days and also want to see the Caribbean rather than the Bahamas. In January and February, the only offering Anthem has is an 11-night cruise to the Eastern / Southeastern Caribbean. Plus, the seas out of NJ at this time of year can be rough the first day or two going in and the last day or two coming back.

I just sailed on Freedom last April and loved her. Didn't feel like she was an old ship at all, and she was our very first cruise. She does have a Studio B with the Ice Rink, so you won't lose that. But if you really like the features and amenities of the Oasis class and don't want to lose out on them, then I'd say stick with Oasis / Harmony / Allure and do one of their 7-night Eastern or Western Caribbean sailings.

Harmony is the newest of the three and will be closest to Symphony in the set of amenities, but all have Central Park, the Boardwalk, and Aqua Theater; plus a bunch more that I'm forgetting since I'm the Oasis Class Denier. ?? And all of the existing Oasis class ships are getting refurbished over the next two years to bring them much more in line with Symphony's full offerings.

24 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I would advise against Anthem if you don't want to sail longer than 9 days and also want to see the Caribbean rather than the Bahamas. In January and February, the only offering Anthem has is an 11-night cruise to the Eastern / Southeastern Caribbean. Plus, the seas out of NJ at this time of year can be rough the first day or two going in and the last day or two coming back.

I just sailed on Freedom last April and loved her. Didn't feel like she was an old ship at all, and she was our very first cruise. She does have a Studio B with the Ice Rink, so you won't lose that. But if you really like the features and amenities of the Oasis class and don't want to lose out on them, then I'd say stick with Oasis / Harmony / Allure and do one of their 7-night Eastern or Western Caribbean sailings.

Harmony is the newest of the three and will be closest to Symphony in the set of amenities, but all have Central Park, the Boardwalk, and Aqua Theater; plus a bunch more that I'm forgetting since I'm the Oasis Class Denier. ?? And all of the existing Oasis class ships are getting refurbished over the next two years to bring them much more in line with Symphony's full offerings.

Thank you for the information!! All of you... Very helpful! 

@Stijn...full disclosure...I am a huge Oasis class fan but here goes...

You started out with the newest, largest, and best (according to some), and you came out loving it!  I hate to say it but, while true that all RC ships have their own unique offerings, it will be almost impossible to match what you just got off of, especially since you loved it.

I know exactly where you are coming from in that you love the promenade and CP.  Yes, other ships have a promenade, but in my experience, the Oasis ones are open, spacious, and modern looking.  And there isn't really anything out there in the fleet like CP.  

If you are looking for a ship most like Symphony, then I would say it would be Anthem.  But being a huge Oasis class fan, I found that while we had a great time on Anthem, it was still no match for Oasis class.  But I totally agree with @JLMoran in that you likely won't get to the Southern Caribbean in 9 nights or shorter on Anthem.  That leaves you with Freedom class or smaller.  While those classes are great too, it's not going to be Symphony.  If you can reset your expectations, then you will still have great time.  If you have your heart set on repeating your experience, then book another Oasis class.  I think for you it comes down to what is more important?  The ship or the itinerary?

The most similar one to Symphony is Harmony.  Even the decor is almost identical.  However, you will still get a different experience in the shows and entertainment.  Oasis and Allure are practically the same size but some the restaurants are different, and the slides are missing.  I have read a few reports of late the while still great, those two ships are starting to show their age a bit.  Oasis is going to go through a major overhaul in the fall of 2019, and Allure the following year.  I'm going to sail Harmony for the second time and I'm just as excited as the first.  I feel like there is so much to experience on those ships that sailing it once is not enough.  That's my two cents. ?

12 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

You started out with the newest, largest, and best (according to some), and you came out loving it!  I hate to say it but, while true that all RC ships have their own unique offerings, it will be almost impossible to match what you just got off of, especially since you loved it.

See I will not have that problem when I ask this group which ship should be my next....I'm starting with Majesty.  

I think it's gonna be the Harmony next year out of Fort Lauderdale. The price is so much better than SOTS. 

At this time we prefer more the ship itself than the itinarery. Last week we only get off the ship in Rome ?.. We liked it so much.... 

All you people gave me so much tips, it really helps to make a discission. Ty! 

Edit: The room really doesn't matter for us, we had the 4U room deck 11 (virtual balcony). We really loved it, but for our next cruise this is really not necessary. Is there a difference between 4v or 2v rooms? Because I don't see it ?

1 hour ago, Stijn said:

Got to sell that to my girlfriend ?

Tell her that you need two weeks to fully explore the ship and see / experience all of it, including all the shows. From everything I've read here (again, never sailed any OA-class ship), it's no lie; multiple people have said there is no way on Earth to do it all in a single 7-night trip.

Just now, JLMoran said:

Tell her that you need two weeks to fully explore the ship and see / experience all of it, including all the shows. From everything I've read here (again, never sailed any OA-class ship), it's no lie; multiple people have said there is no way on Earth to do it all in a single 7-night trip.

No truer words have been said by a self professed Oasis Class Denier. 

You can't possibly do everything on an Oasis class ship in one cruise and if you try you'll need a vacation after your vacation, so you might as well do a B2B.  

38 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Also agree, I only spent 1 week on Harmony when she first came out, but have felt like I need to book another cruise on her to make sure I get to see all of her.

The problem is to organize it for work + don't want to break my savings ?

Will do the Harmony from Fort Lauderdale (for 99,99% sure) ?

Will take a balcony room deck 11 probably room 554. Think it's a good price, about 2630 euro for 2.

Really can't wait, but okay times goes fast... 

Thank y'all for the comments, nice community. 

13 minutes ago, Stijn said:

The problem is to organize it for work + don't want to break my savings ?

Thank y'all for the comments, nice community. 

Stay away from these boards if you don't want to break your savings!  I have already booked 3 cruises since I joined!:14_relaxed:

Oh boy... My girlfriend wants to book the Allure because she likes the Solarium more...? She doesn't care about the slides ?... 

Is there a big difference between these two? I mean does the Allure '' feels'' older than Harmony? 

So probably the shows, the slides, pool in the Solarium are the most big differences? 

Gonna book tomorrow, than I dont have to think about it anymore lol. 

Just now, Stijn said:

Oh boy... My girlfriend wants to book the Allure because she likes the Solarium more...? She doesn't care about the slides ?... 

Is there a big difference between these two? I mean does the Allure '' feels'' older than Harmony? 

Decor is more dated.  A few restaurants are different.

So probably the shows, the slides, pool in the Solarium are the most big differences? 

Exactly.

Also have a look at this video:

5 minutes ago, Stijn said:

The Allure is only 8 years old...I will sail her in 18 days and plan on doing posts in the live blog section about it.

Just now, DunkelBierJay said:

The Allure is only 8 years old...I will sail her in 18 days and plan on doing posts in the live blog section about it.

Yes, and to add to that, we sailed her in 2016 and it was fine.  It's just if you compare it to Harmony and Symphony then she is more "dated" but still one of the largest and best out there in the grand scheme of things.

Just now, DunkelBierJay said:

I've been on Harmony and Allure (Twice) have a third planned on Allure in January of 2019.

I think you will be happy with Allure...

• 7 months later...